What tour have you done that blew you away?

ilikeanswers

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked for one company 25 years .I last worked there in 1996.I am still in contact with 3 people via phone and e-mail.

i am still in contact with people that I went to school with,including one from Kindergarden.

Tours   from/  on cruise ships? ?

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I went by Greyhound bus from Brooklyn NY to Los Angeles .We spent a week there then took a bus to SF and spent a week there.Then we took a Greyhound bus to Manhattan.The bused stopped for refueling in a total of 43 cities.We saw so much of the US but never did anything like that again.

There were a lot of guys with long hair and beards in SF but not that much in LA.

I have to ask:  how many hours were you on the bus, was it direct or did you have to change, and - finally - was the money saved enough to justify the experience?

&

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have to ask:  how many hours were you on the bus, was it direct or did you have to change, and - finally - was the money saved enough to justify the experience?

Going to California took 3 days and the return trip was 3 days.I developed bursitis from sitting so much.This was a Greyhound Golden Eagle. There was a hostess on board who served food,mainly sandwiches. We were on the same bus the entire trip to California .

We were on one bus back to NY. We did not do the trip to save money.It was an adventure.We stopped in 43 cities and had between 2 to 6 hours to explore. We met very interesting people on the bus and had many wonderful conversations.We wanted to do something that most people would not desire to do.It made for wonderful conversation for family and friends when we returned.

Every year in our marriage we wanted to have unconventional vacations.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

&

Going to California took 3 days and the return trip was 3 days.I developed bursitis from sitting so much.This was a Greyhound Golden Eagle. There was a hostess on board who served food,mainly sandwiches. We were on the same bus the entire trip to California .

We were on one bus back to NY. We did not do the trip to save money.It was an adventure.We stopped in 43 cities and had between 2 to 6 hours to explore. We met very interesting people on the bus and had many wonderful conversations.We wanted to do something that most people would not desire to do.It made for wonderful conversation for family and friends when we returned.

Every year in our marriage we wanted to have unconventional vacations.

Well that was unconventional. Sounds more exciting than having a honeymoon in the Catskills.😉

On 6/29/2020 at 2:13 AM, ontheweb said:

Hmmm. I consider our Baltic cruise for our 30th anniversary as our best one we ever had. In less than a month we were supposed to go on a Norwegian fjords cruise that of course has been cancelled. And we were really also looking forward to our excursion back to the airport stopping at Stonehenge.

Aww, I 'm sorry your cruise was cancelled, but you can try and get on the same one next year. You have to see the Norwegian fjords... It's a little similar to Alaska, but better! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Well that was unconventional. Sounds more exciting than having a honeymoon in the Catskills.😉

That was 3 years later than the hotel in the Catskills.My wife and I discussed that the other day..We cannot recall why we went there.

5 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

Aww, I 'm sorry your cruise was cancelled, but you can try and get on the same one next year. You have to see the Norwegian fjords... It's a little similar to Alaska, but better! 🙂

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Victoria,BC  to the residence of Michael  jackson

Sorry, if I am mistaken but did not Michael  Jackson have his home in Southern California?...   Quite a distance from Victoria, BC,   a  l oong  tour day!   

It was a tour in the Canary islands. Not everyone knows how the local fauna is preserved out there. When you visit those islands it feels like a man has never visited these sites. It was fantastic to see the animals and the nature in general living without any action from the humans. It was a fantastic experience and a wonderful tour 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Sorry, if I am mistaken but did not Michael  Jackson have his home in Southern California?...   Quite a distance from Victoria, BC,   a  l oong  tour day!   

Michael Jackson the historian not the singer.

Edited by lenquixote66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2020 at 1:51 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Michael Jackson the historian not the singer.

Had there been  a 'clue' 😕in that post    ..  it would have been very helpful and  we     would  not have to guess. 

The singer was a hugely well known talent.

The historian, NOt  quite the same level  of fame

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Had there been  a 'clue' 😕in that post    ..  it would have been very helpful and  we     would  not have to guess. 

In case you ever need to know, there are 10,826 people in the US named Michael Jackson.  I have now heard of two of them!   

The lock-down has clearly resulted in me having way too much time on my hands.   😃

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Something of interest or possibly not.In 1988 I wrote a book .It was out of print by 1990.

For the next 5 years people found copies for sale in used book stores all over the US selling for a dollar.

Amazon is selling my book today for $27.00 .A rare book dealer in NY is also selling copies for $27.00 as are other on line book dealers.Why is that you may ask ?

I happen to have the same name as a very famous author.The presumption is that my book is the first novel by that author.Perhaps one day somebody will post on a cruise message board that they toured the home of ......and it will be mine or maybe this is just a figment of my imagination.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sail7seas said:

That might be the biggest understatement of all time! 

Other than his immediate family, who thinks of Michael Jackson the historian when they hear the name Michael Jackson?

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Something of interest or possibly not.In 1988 I wrote a book .It was out of print by 1990.

For the next 5 years people found copies for sale in used book stores all over the US selling for a dollar.

Amazon is selling my book today for $27.00 .A rare book dealer in NY is also selling copies for $27.00 as are other on line book dealers.Why is that you may ask ?

I happen to have the same name as a very famous author.The presumption is that my book is the first novel by that author.Perhaps one day somebody will post on a cruise message board that they toured the home of ......and it will be mine or maybe this is just a figment of my imagination.

If you are Leonard Cohen, I love your music.

19 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That might be the biggest understatement of all time! 

Other than his immediate family, who thinks of Michael Jackson the historian when they hear the name Michael Jackson?

Since his home was in Victoria wasn't it obvious that it wasn't the singer/dancer Michael Jackson? 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Since his home was in Victoria wasn't it obvious that it wasn't the singer/dancer Michael Jackson? 

You don't think that the famous Michael Jackson could afford to have several homes?

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You don't think that the famous Michael Jackson could afford to have several homes?

Since lenquixote66 got the comment that it must have been a loong tour day because his home was in California I don't think that the possibility for him to have several homes was a part of "the problem".

• Like 1

American landing beaches tour when the ship docked in Cherbourg, France.  As I looked up the Pointe du Hoc it was hard to imaging repelling up a rock face under heavy fire.  The Normandy American Cemetery is an image many of us know from the rows and rows of crosses on green lawn.  An area that's not as well known is the Garden of the Missing - about 1,700 names for those whose bodies were never found.

It was a ship's tour and given the distance from the pier I'd not have otherwise attempted it.  As it was our tour bus got caught in slow traffic and the guide called the ship about our delay.  After we boarded the gangway was pulled away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 10:09 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Nope but I love his music too.

Like you I have posted my last name on the boards over the years referring to other people.

OK, it has to be "Cervantes"!  haha

15 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Well, I would have thought tourists would have known that Hotel California down on the Baja wasn't actually related to the famous song by the Eagles, but it didn't stop many from getting duped by the hotel.  Heck, I think there were actually cruise excursions that went there.  🙄

Edited by Aquahound

20 hours ago, whogo said:

Not a fan of the singer, the first Michael Jackson that came to my mind was the Beer Hunter Michael Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_(writer)

20 hours ago, whogo said:

Not a fan of the singer, the first Michael Jackson that came to my mind was the Beer Hunter Michael Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_(writer)

There is also the NBA player Michael Jackson.