New York tours in the middle of a return transatlantic voyage

PrincessPete

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh my- Lakesregion- that bad! I take it you mean NYC is still a little bit like a ghost town? I wonder what restaurants, bars etc. I may find , when I , maybe , in Dec. be there for a day. If my TA goes- if one is allowed to enter the US- coming from Europe! OH dear- what a year!

Germancruiser and PrincessPete,

Please, as a current and lifelong resident in NYC, New York sincerely is no way the description the Cruise Critic from NH stated in their posting. Compared to the rest of the Country, our numbers are very, very low in NY with New Jersey and Conn (TriState) neighbors. I would be scared to travel to any of the other states that are rising and soon skyrocket out of control. We are actually monitoring residences entering our state from other Active Rising States ex Arizona, Fla, Carolina's, Texas that may return to Pause or Lockdown. 

We are in a comfortable Phase 2 and approaching the Final Phase 3 with caution that will continue for the rest of the year. True many activities are being cancelled or postpone like the NY Marathon and 4th July and Theater District. But currently the city returning to a new style but busy as ever and abiding by the CV-19 precautions that got us to the best of all states since March 17th. Many made this possible with Social Distance, Masks and we hope the proper Vaccine will add to assure us with additional protection.

So as we are looking forward to our sailing too next year, one needs to wait till that time to estimate the condition of NY along with all the other States and Cities of the Country. 

I have to say that Lakesregion paints one of the most depressing pictures I have ever seen.  Whilst I would expect that there will be changes, ie favourite restaurants and shops closed, I would have hoped that within a year some sort of 'normality' will have been restored.  It may not be the New York we remember, but it's still New York. 

With a fair wind behind us we will be visiting twice (2 separate days) in September/October 2021 and we fully expect to have a great time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

We fully expect to have a great time.

bab135,

There's only one New York and we are Strong and we are Tough and are Bouncing Back......

Come and Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Princess Pete,

Not sure how "late" in the year you are planning on sailing but if it is in the Sept/Oct time period, let me suggest Brunch at The Central Park Boathouse. A beautiful and elegant restaurant situated on a small lake in the middle of New York's Central Park. There are no exterior walls to the restaurant  so you have a specular view of the lake and the park. You will need reservations and will want to get there a hour in advance to enjoy a drink in the bar. The walk through Central Park to get to the restaurant is very enjoyable. In October the leaves will likely be turning. We have met the most interesting international visitors while in the bar before and after Brunch. Rather that rushing around the City, let the world come to you. The are closed now due to C-19 but hopefully will be open soon.

5831d0498e7fa_loeb_boathouse_2.thumb.jpg.5037c3cef46a6035e926c6dfa281550b.jpg

Central-Park-Boathouse1.thumb.jpg.a8c445fb2a00ab4279c5564918e8bfac.jpg

Jack

Been to the Boathouse several times when visiting NYC.  I, too, highly endorse this restaurant.  Can’t wait for all to be open again and sailing to begin!  Katherine

We did a Walking Tour of Brooklyn in November on our TA/Carribean cruise - I wrote about it here https://blog.rakkor.uk/2019/11/27/day-eight-brooklyn-brownstones/

This wasn't a ship arranged tour, although we did one through Cunard in Lisbon that used the same company UrbanAdventures and because we'd enjoyed it so much we thought we'd give it a go here. Very glad we did as it was excellent.

We arranged it here - https://www.urbanadventures.com/new-york-tour-neighbourhood-eats-brownstone-brooklyn

EDIT : I thought we'd arranged it direct with the website, but looking back at my blog entry, it seems we booked through Cunard.

Edited by rakkor