Looooong Cruise Recommendations

TMW67

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

I can help with this one.  They will happily take U.S. dollars.  Take SMALL bills as it will mostly be for little handworks and for children, etc.

Handworks here have been priced well in the past.  Fanning Island is a tender port and can be a tricky one, sadly.

Oops, I should have added, if you can, pack some toothbrushes, pads, pencils or pens for the school children.  IF the ship can’t tender then they will see it is delivered to where it’s needed.  If they can, they will transfer to a ship going to Fanning Island and it will be delivered.

Our roll call did a collection off board since solicitation is not allowed 😞 

Interesting when you go there as the ship sends a crew to repair the dock before tendering.  Take any necessities including TP 😉 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, kazu said:

One other thing I will add, since you are on for a longer period of time, it’s easier not to put on weight (at least for me) as you know you’ll have an opportunity to have something that appeals at another opportunity. 

That's comforting to know kazu! I was just thinking about that the other day. I normally gain 5 lbs. when we cruise & we do A LOT of walking, so the thought of how much weight I would gain on a 45 day cruise was pretty frightening!! 😬

We already decided on this one to make sure we cut down on our desserts & do more exercising (which we don't normally worry about, because we're on vacation), but like you said, knowing there will be plenty of opportunities to enjoy everything will help too!

Dollars: Make sure they are "crisp newer bills"...some places won't take our old wrinkly ones. Don't plan to give children bills...it's strongly discouraged in most (all) ports for obvious reasons. Also figure any donations (pencils, pens, etc. ) for children will have to be in a group donation done by the ship since they do not want individuals donating items. Someone on one ship had brought a whole duffel of T shirts for children and was told they couldn't take it off the ship to donate it...had to be done by the ship or not at all.  Yes, most the places you'll visit will need minimal small bills and those I always got at the front desk...otherwise, dollars or cc will work fine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TMW67 said:

That's comforting to know kazu! I was just thinking about that the other day. I normally gain 5 lbs. when we cruise & we do A LOT of walking, so the thought of how much weight I would gain on a 45 day cruise was pretty frightening!! 😬

I find the longer the cruise, the less weight I gain. You get into a routine, learn ordering tricks in the MDR, and the Lido becomes a living menu and not an all you can eat temptation. 
Our last cruise was 80 days. I gained a total of 3 lbs., and most of that was from trying to use up my wine package when the cruise was suddenly cut short!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:25 AM, TMW67 said:

Some of these tiny islands don't even have electricity, so buying souvenirs from locals would most likely need cash & in their currency, correct?? We would book excursions in these areas online ahead of time.

As a rule of thumb, the closer a vendor is to the cruise pier , the more likely they are to take US dollars; the farther from the pier the less likely. Any vendor that deliberately sets up near the pier or at a planned stop for a ship’s tour is expecting to get mostly US dollars. Any private, off the beaten path tour will probably need local currency. The same with small stores in town that are geared for locals, not tourists.
Either way, have some small bills. A child selling fresh coconut water at a roadside stand for $1 won’t likely have change for a $100 bill.

• Like 1

With our Tales of the South Pacific roll call, we pre-planned to collect all kinds of things for the folks on Fanning Island. We had a LOT of stuff. Some elected to carry their own stuff on shore and then give it out on their own (mostly school stuff).

213.JPG

That kind of long cruise has many sea days so we always make sure our Kindles are loaded with lots of good reading material.  As to packing, we would pack the same for a 60 day cruise as a 21 day cruise.   Laundry service on HAL is good and most folks will simply "recycle" their outfits with some mix and match variety.  These days we do think it is important to take a real medicine cabinet of drugs including a few weeks of extra prescription drugs.  

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janmcn said:

Also figure any donations (pencils, pens, etc. ) for children will have to be in a group donation done by the ship since they do not want individuals donating items. Someone on one ship had brought a whole duffel of T shirts for children and was told they couldn't take it off the ship to donate it...had to be done by the ship or not at all.  

I wonder why they don't let you give them yourself? That way they would get to see who the items actually came from & be more personal. I wonder if the people even know that the donations are from the people on the ship, or do the cruise lines take all the praise.🤔

46 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As a rule of thumb, the closer a vendor is to the cruise pier , the more likely they are to take US dollars; the farther from the pier the less likely. Any vendor that deliberately sets up near the pier or at a planned stop for a ship’s tour is expecting to get mostly US dollars. Any private, off the beaten path tour will probably need local currency. The same with small stores in town that are geared for locals, not tourists.
Either way, have some small bills. A child selling fresh coconut water at a roadside stand for $1 won’t likely have change for a $100 bill.

Good to know, thanks!👍

• Like 1

I enjoy the longer cruises.  My budget includes laundry service.   I think the most important preparation is for what happens at home for your absence and medications.  How will you secure your house, your plumbing, will a neighbor come in. If that neighbor is not able to fulfill that task while you are away what is the contingency plan.  If you are over 30 days you may need to do a two part mail hold or even do a mail forwarding.  I up pay my utilities.  Some people simply rely on the credit card on file, if so, that credit card shouldn’t travel with you.  (My business took me on the road frequently for long periods and I have seen it all!).  Make sure you have an adequate cell phone and data plan, else you should buy the internet onboard and have a Skype account.   Have a talk with your broker for security preparations, you never know when you might be stranded and need a large influx of cash. (Long story, been there, done that).  

have good travel insurance, long cruises tend to take us long distances which can be expensive to return from. 

I don’t worry about clothing and such.  We have a saying “there is always Walmart and a laundry”.  Sure it may not be Walmart specifically but there will be something.  I can wear cruise t-shirts for a month!

We have done several 30+ day cruises, with the longest being 39 days.  We like the sea days and the variety of ports.    You are going to have to do laundry.  A few older ships still have self service washing machines, but you most likely will be relying on ship's laundry.  We take nothing that cannot be machine washed in warm water, and make sure to launder it at home at least once before departure.