June Venice to Rome on Infinity

georgiaguy

So we are like a lot of folks looking at cruises because we are getting the 125% FCC for our canceled cruise that was supposed to be at the end of July this year. We are looking at the June 2021 to take a the Venice to Rome cruise on Infinity. Anyone have thoughts about the ports Venice, Split, Corfu, Kotor, and Naples. I used to work for Celebrity so I went a lot of places but of these, I have only been to Venice and Naples. Any thoughts about this by those who have done something similar? 

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

So we are like a lot of folks looking at cruises because we are getting the 125% FCC for our canceled cruise that was supposed to be at the end of July this year. We are looking at the June 2021 to take a the Venice to Rome cruise on Infinity. Anyone have thoughts about the ports Venice, Split, Corfu, Kotor, and Naples. I used to work for Celebrity so I went a lot of places but of these, I have only been to Venice and Naples. Any thoughts about this by those who have done something similar? 

Lovely itinerary, have visited all ports but Kotor (which looks fantastic too)...Split, full of winding streets and history. Corfu, take an island tour or simply sit at a local bar and enjoy the ambiance. Naples, take a trip to Pompeii or hike up Vesuvius...

A bonus on this itinerary is you get the option to add on city breaks in Venice pre cruise and Rome post cruise. Be aware RC has recently stated that they will no longer be using Venice as a port, they will be using Ravenna instead (further down the Adriatic Coast). As Venice tries to literally remain afloat it will be reducing significantly the ships allowed in. Even if this change is made to your itinerary it would still be possible to enjoy Venice pre cruise.

Note that Infinity is one of the ships that has not been recently refurbished and with the present situation is unlikely to be before your cruise...Think a bit dated and slightly shabby but spotlessly clean (going from our experience of what Summit was like prior to refurbishment) and it shouldn’t spoil your experience. Hopefully someone who has recently been on Infinity can add more.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

9 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

We have done all those ports except Kotor.   Too bad your cruise doesn't include Dubrovnik.

Split is very historic, since Emperor Diocletian's Palace is there and can be toured.  Also, a nearby town of Trogir is woth a visit.

Corfu is wonderful.  We took a tour that included the north end of the island which is very scenic.  Also, visited an ancient monastery and more.

Naples, you have many options:  visit the Naples Archaeological Museum, Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri or the Amalfi Coast.

Venice is great, we have been there several times and number one site is St. Mark's Cathedral.  Also, the Doges Palace and the nearby tower that you can go up to the top for a great view.  Take a gondola ride and walk the city.  Need more than one day.

Yes I have seen that, but so far it looks like it is a voluntary move by RCCL and from what I understand no other cruiseline has followed suit. But it also wouldn't be the end of the world for that change to happen. We spent the start of our honeymoon in Venice a few years ago and would likely still plan an overnight in Venice before boarding the ship. 

As for the age. In a weird way I am looking forward to it. I spent about 5 months living on the Millennium and so going on Infinity has a nostalgia quality to me.

A few years ago, we visited several of these ports on a b2b, Venice to Civitivecchia (Rome) and Civitavecchia to Istanbul.  An amazing trip.  Since no one has mentioned Kotor . . . I loved that day!  First, it is a stunning sail-in so be on deck early for that!  Based on a recommendation here on CC, we booked a tour with Milo Popovich, Tours by Milo.  He took 4 of us, high into the mountains surrounding Kotor where we had a sandwich made with Montenegro ham for lunch, to the charming town of Budva where we enjoyed a cool drink after wandering inside the walled town, and to the waterfront near the small islands.  Great day!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Since no one has mentioned Kotor . . . I loved that day!  First, it is a stunning sail-in so be on deck early for that!  Based on a recommendation here on CC, we booked a tour with Milo Popovich, Tours by Milo."

second Milo!  He was a wonderful tour guide.  We also went to the little church on the island you pass by on the way up the fjord to Kotor.  By all means, book tours by Milo!  First class, in my opinion.

We did a very similar 10 night cruise on the Constellation in November 2019, just before all of the craziness started.  It was amazing.  We missed Kotor due to poor weather (they routed us to Corfu instead).  This was the system that flooded Venice in November 2019. This was an AMAZING trip, even though we did encounter some less than desirable weather. 

We were on the Infinity in 2017, and found her to be much the same as the Constellation.  True, may be "dated" compared to the newer ships, but it was definitely clean, well kept, and did not detract from our experience.

In Naples, we did do the Celebrity excursion that went to Pompeii and Sorrento.  We were delayed entry to Naples due to poor weather, but the weather did break and allowed the ship to enter.  As a result, our excursion was a bit "rushed", but was still enjoyable.

Corfu, Greece was an unplanned stop, so had no chance to research or book a tour.  We did enjoy walking around the old town (though was very windy and rainy due to the storm system that cancelled Kotor).  Had a great lunch a "The Gondola" restaurant!

You will enjoy this cruise!

we ended up booking the may 23rd on edge after looking at all the options and the new ship vs the old .  We had a trip cancelled and I had some non refundable hotels in Venice and Florence.  We are just going to hit those pre-cruise and take the train to Florence and then a private driver from Florence to Civitavecchia stopping in orvieto and a couple other stops.    The edge is also doing a sailing to some of those ports but not the one we are on.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, georgiaguy said:

Great ports loved Venice and Naples and the biggest surprise was Kotor which was fantastic small walled city with friendly people, would love to return to each might consider this cruise since it will be during our 30 anniversary.