A cruise line to cruise around Australia and around NZ

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Would cruising to some of the South Sea Islands or PNG be a possibility during off season weather conditions in Australia/NZ?

Of course but that involves overseas ports rather than just sticking to local ones. 

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, plus they do lots of interesting cruises to Micronesia and PNG, Tasmania, West Coast WA, etc.  i dream of their cruise from Fremantle to Broome.  

I'd love to do the Kimberley Coast one but they are just too expensive, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd love to do the Kimberley Coast one but they are just too expensive, unfortunately.

Yes, so would I and I too have looked into it - very expensive.

Cruising in Australian waters would be just wonderful for me on any of the Princess ones currently on sale for early 2021 (if we are lucky enough to get the ships back).  Don't think NZ wants in with us for a loooooong time.

It would be a great idea but it would be just the same as any other holiday in Australia, only the overseas tourists could afford it.

Kindly explain why Australians cannot afford holidays in Australia and only overseas tourists can afford it?

1 minute ago, drsel said:
On 6/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, Russell21 said:
It would be a great idea but it would be just the same as any other holiday in Australia, only the overseas tourists could afford it.

Kindly explain why Australians cannot afford holidays in Australia and only overseas tourists can afford it?

Favourable exchange rates?

Australia is the world's No. 1 most expensive country for tourists, despite the depreciation of the Australian dollar.

I can't imagine how expensive it must have been when the Australian dollar was more than one US dollar!!!

https://www.worldatlas.com/amp/articles/12-of-the-most-expensive-countries-to-travel-to.html

"the land down under has become not just an expensive place to live but also to visit.

Aside from the exorbitant price of plane tickets to reach this seemingly isolated island South of the globe, goods and services are also around 10% more expensive than those in the US.

On average a tourist in Sydney would have to shell out around $295 per day according to Hoppa’s study "

I've been looking at some possibilities for land based holidays over the next few months and everything is so expensive, especially compared with cruising. The accommodation is expensive enough, especially if you want to stay somewhere nice. You might get breakfast included but lunch and dinner is on top of that, plus drinks, plus entertainment.

And anywhere that is "all inclusive" is outrageously priced - in excess of $1000pp per day at a couple of places I looked at. That's more expensive than a regular cabin on one of the luxury cruise lines.

• Like 2

It is indeed surprising that locals living in the country and earning in Australian dollars, cannot afford holidays in their own country!

They find it cheaper to holiday in USA and Canada like my cousins in Perth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drsel said:

It is indeed surprising that locals living in the country and earning in Australian dollars, cannot afford holidays in their own country!

We could afford it when we were still working but have to watch our finances more now we're retired.

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

I see Genting Cruises are about to commence local Taiwan cruises. No reason it couldn't be done here also, with the appropriate preparations detailed in the article. And if using foreign crew, prices could be kept to the minimum. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5419/

Agree, it could be done here with appropriate deep cleaning of ship and 21 days crew quarantine prior to commencement.  Of course, borders would have to be open first.

I think safety would be the No.1 priority until there is a corona virus vaccine.  

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree. 

The Sapphire Princess Round Australia cruise would be a good one to start with. 😉😉😉

Agree.  However, good to see a cruise line starting, using a decent size ship, and how the cruise line will tackle the problems associated with cruising during a pandemic.   Talking and doing had to start somewhere to get the ships going but I am not too interested in getting on a plane to cruise overseas.  Cruising in Australian waters is fine for me for the time being.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree, it could be done here with appropriate deep cleaning of ship and 21 days crew quarantine prior to commencement.  Of course, borders would have to be open first.

I think safety would be the No.1 priority until there is a corona virus vaccine.  

Well, it doesn't seem to be given the restart of footy, travel of teams and military internationally.