Civitavecchia to Rome to Naples

mcordry

We will be cruising next year, and our port of disembarkation is Civitavecchia.  We are heading to Positano after that, and right now we have a transfer booked that meets us at the port and takes us to Positano.  As you can imagine the cost is 500 Euros.... but the convenience of it is very alluring...   We love not having to handle our luggage after we get off the shuttle at the port.  But now I am second guessing myself.  I know that we can get a train from the port to Rome to Naples... and then get a transfers from Naples to Positano and it would be much cheaper.  But the problem is having to deal with our luggage.  We will be on a 3 week trip , so we will have substantial luggage.  Is it relatively easy to take the train, and have to deal with luggage or would it be better to just spend the money for the ease of a transfer.  I come from a small town in Georgia, and we don't have a train system, although I have take the subway in many large cities.  We just can't decide if it is worth it to pay the money and do the transfer or save the money and do the train.  I have tried to find videos on YouTube to see just how easy it would be,, but I can't find anything that does the trip through to Naples.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest part of your "hassle" will be in Civitavecchia. 

To get from your ship to the train will involve the following:

• Claiming your luggage after disembarking
  • Getting yourselves and luggage to port shuttle bus, loading luggage
  • Getting yourselves and luggage off port shuttle bus at entrance
  • Getting yourselves and luggage on dedicated public bus to train station (room for luggage but still you are on your own in terms of loading/unloading)
  • Getting yourselves and luggage off the public bus in front of train station
  • Potentially getting yourselves and luggage down one full flight of stairs and up another flight in order to reach the track for your particular train -- no elevator in station
  • Loading yourselves and luggage onto train, which will involve 3 or so steep-ish narrow steps into the train compartment
  • Stowing luggage -- limited room for large bags at ends of cars, occasionally also mid-carriage and/or behind seats
  • Collapse into your seats for the ride to Rome

As you can see, a lot of steps which, while manageable on a port day, are definitely magnified by having a lot of luggage in tow.

If the 500 euro transfer is unappealing, you could spring for a private transfer from your ship to the Rome train station -- that would cost around 120 euros for two people. Once you get to Termini, the hassle is fairly minimal -- assuming you will take one of the fast trains to Naples, the walk to the tracks is flat and not that far; same with getting off in Naples.

Of course, you would still have to pay for the transfer from Naples to Positano, which will probably cost you at least another 120 euro....

In the end, it is up to you to make the choice. Taking the train plus the two partial transfers probably will end up costing you just more than half of the 500 euro cost of going direct from Civi to Naples via a fully private transfer.

Also, just a query -- you mention having to use the port shuttle, even with your private transfer -- can your driver not pick you up directly at the ship?  Many can do this, and it would certainly look for one that can, if you decide to go the expensive route. Might as well make it as simple as possible if you're paying for deluxe service.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

In summary:

• Shuttle bus
  • Public bus
  • Train to Rome
  • Train to Naples
  • Private transfer to Positano
  • And a lot of walking and wrestling luggage.

There are a couple of direct trains a day (you stay in the same train in Rome).  All others you need to change trains in Rome.

And don't forget, this will take a lot of extra time with all the connections and walking around the stations.  The private drive is about 4 hours.  The bus/trains/transfer route, even with ideal timing for connections, would be at least 6 hours. 

As it often is, the best is not the cheapest. 

As cruisemom pointed out, the private transfers meet you at the ship.  If your driver will not, get another one. 

One consideration if you decide to take the train is to take one to Napoli Afragola rather than Napoli Centrale.  It's about the same distance and driving time but you get to Afragola first (about 15 minutes before Napoli Centrale) so you'll be on your way to Positano faster.  Further, you avoid the traffic in downtown Naples so your drive will be easier.  Finally, Afragola is a new station (opened in 2017) and it's not as busy nor as large as Centrale so it's easier to get around.

• Like 1

There used to be a luggage storage facility at Roma Centrale.  If you can manage your luggage (not certain how much you have) to the train at Civi you are home free.  Repack prior to disembarkation and plan to go to Positano with carry on only.  IF you do this the rest is a snap.  

Do the math. Add up the costs of train and storage etc. then compare with the cost of a transfer. Then you will have the data to make a decision.

Someone on this forum may be able to advise IF the luggage storage is still there and what the cost is.   We switched to carry on only for the exact reasons you mention in your post. 

A second option IF you plan to return to Rome and spend time is to contact the hotel where you will be staying on your return and see if they will store you luggage.  Drop it off in Rome assuming you have repacked prior to disembarkation.   We have done this a few times in other locals when we switched to one carry on between us.   I cannot recall any hotel or B&B where we stayed charging for this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luggage+storage+at+roma+centrale&oq=luggage+st&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l4j69i57j0l2.3527j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

Edited by iancal

Keep in mind that Rome termini and Naples are very busy stations and if you have a lot of luggage it may not be wise.  Safety and convenience also are worth something.  

Another alternative is renting a car and driving, although I wouldn’t recommend driving the Amalfi coast, you could drive to Sorrento or perhaps even Salerno and travel the rest of the way by bus or boat.  

There is a left luggage office (deposito bagagli) at Roma Termini, on the lower level near the tracks on the south side of the station.  They've recently redone the main station web sites and between bugs in the new sites and changes due to corona it's not clear if the KiPoint (the company that has the francise for the left luggage office) service is currently operating at Termini or not.  The new web site does not post the prices as the old one did.

We most definitely would not be dragging lots of luggage past Rome.  If you are using the trains you will need to exit at the second last station in Naples.  Then transfer to the Circumvesuvia train (watch out for pickpockets).   At the end of the line in Sorrento  go though the doors and cross the street to the bus to Positano.  There may very well be a long line up for the bus depending on when and time of day (sit on the right side of the bus).   It will let you off at the top, by the highway.  Could be another walk depending on where you are staying.    This is why we only do carry on!

Edited by iancal

No, there hasn't been regular ferry service between Naples and Positano in many years.

Last year Alilauro offered one ferry per day from Naples to the Amalfi Coast in July and August but they didn't repeat it this year, whether due to low demand last year or covid this year I don't know.

You could take a ferry to Capri, then another one from Capri to Positano but it would take quite a lot of time and effort with luggage.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Forget over packing.   Laundry is your friend.   3 weeks isn't a long trip.  🙂     

But,  in your case,  and with you mentioning "luggage" several times in your post-   PAY the 500 euros for a direct transit.    You likely would not do well with all the train/walking transfers-   that are involved.    I have no problem and actually easily went to same places last year.    But??   🙂   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I salute the OP for having thought through the pros and cons of traveling with luggage.  Our own answer to the problem (because we tend to pack heavy) is to rent cars in Europe and simply drive ourselves to most places.  Taking luggage on and off trains in Italy (and many other places) can vary between OK to an awful experience.  In most cases it depends on the type train, whether everything is crowded, which stations, and even which tracks.   There are no easy answers to this old problem unless you are wealthy or are OK washing out the same clothes over and over again :).

So the OP needs to think about the details.  Going from Civitavecchia to Naples would normally mean taking the train (a regional or local) to Rome Termini.  At Rome you will get off at a very distant track and have somewhat of a hike (through the station) to your Naples Train.  This means you need to able to haul your luggage onto a train and get if off with some trains involving a step.  Once in Termini you can roll your luggage although it might seem like a half mile walk.  I am not sure of the situation in Naples although I do recall there were elevators which (if working) would get you and your luggage to the street level.   You also need to be aware of your personal security since pick pockets and luggage thefts are not unheard of in Italy.  We actually have a retractable steel cable (kind of like a portable bicycle lock) that we use to secure our luggage to something sold in the train (this usually works at the small luggage storage areas located near the end of the various train cars.  Do not ever let unsecured luggage out of your immediate area.

Hank

My answer to the OP is 

On 8/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, Hlitner said:

So the OP needs to think about the details.  Going from Civitavecchia to Naples would normally mean taking the train (a regional or local) to Rome Termini.  At Rome you will get off at a very distant track and have somewhat of a hike (through the station) to your Naples Train.  This means you need to able to haul your luggage onto a train and get if off with some trains involving a step.  Once in Termini you can roll your luggage although it might seem like a half mile walk.  I am not sure of the situation in Naples although I do recall there were elevators which (if working) would get you and your luggage to the street level. 

Hank's description is true for the regional trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, which arrive to auxiliary tracks in Rome that are a full one third of a mile from the main track head, where the trains to Naples depart from.

There are a few premium trains between Civitavecchia and Rome that arrive to the main track head.  They cost quite a bit more than the regional train (12,90 euro vs. 4,60) and there are only a couple each morning in the current, reduced schedule (two between 6 AM and noon, vs. 14 regionals in the same time frame), but it does avoid that long schlep through Termini.

In Naples (Centrale) all trains from Rome arrive to the main track head.  Depending on how you plan to travel on once in Rome, Napoli Centrale may or may not be the best station to choose.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, marazul said:

There are (were?) a couple of trains a day from Civi to Rome that continue on to Naples.  That is, you stay on the same train.  The problem is, will they fit your schedule?   

These are the old IC trains and they are still on the schedule.  There is one at 9:24 (arrives at 12:29) and another at 17:08, there is also an IC Notte (night) train at 5:00 but that won't work for a cruise passenger.

When you factor in the time to change trains at Rome, the morning IC train gets you to Naples in not much more time than a regional train connecting to a high speed one in Rome (3 hours, 5 minutes vs.  2 hours, 41 minutes, best case).

I like this option for several reasons.  First, there is the ease of just getting on and off one train.  Second, ICs are assigned seat trains so you are guaranteed a seat (not true for the regional trains between Civitavecchia and Rome).  Third, they are so reasonably priced that if you want a first class seat it isn't a big stretch.

One downside of the IC is that they don't stop at Napoli Afragola so if you are continuing on to the Amalfi Coast (or elsewhere) by car you don't have that option.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The biggest part of your "hassle" will be in Civitavecchia. 

To get from your ship to the train will involve the following:

• Claiming your luggage after disembarking
  • Getting yourselves and luggage to port shuttle bus, loading luggage
  • Getting yourselves and luggage off port shuttle bus at entrance
  • Getting yourselves and luggage on dedicated public bus to train station (room for luggage but still you are on your own in terms of loading/unloading)
  • Getting yourselves and luggage off the public bus in front of train station
  • Potentially getting yourselves and luggage down one full flight of stairs and up another flight in order to reach the track for your particular train -- no elevator in station
  • Loading yourselves and luggage onto train, which will involve 3 or so steep-ish narrow steps into the train compartment
  • Stowing luggage -- limited room for large bags at ends of cars, occasionally also mid-carriage and/or behind seats
  • Collapse into your seats for the ride to Rome

As you can see, a lot of steps which, while manageable on a port day, are definitely magnified by having a lot of luggage in tow.

If the 500 euro transfer is unappealing, you could spring for a private transfer from your ship to the Rome train station -- that would cost around 120 euros for two people. Once you get to Termini, the hassle is fairly minimal -- assuming you will take one of the fast trains to Naples, the walk to the tracks is flat and not that far; same with getting off in Naples.

Of course, you would still have to pay for the transfer from Naples to Positano, which will probably cost you at least another 120 euro....

In the end, it is up to you to make the choice. Taking the train plus the two partial transfers probably will end up costing you just more than half of the 500 euro cost of going direct from Civi to Naples via a fully private transfer.

Also, just a query -- you mention having to use the port shuttle, even with your private transfer -- can your driver not pick you up directly at the ship?  Many can do this, and it would certainly look for one that can, if you decide to go the expensive route. Might as well make it as simple as possible if you're paying for deluxe service.

What happens when you get off the train in Rome?  How do you get to the airport?  Or does the train make a stop at the airport?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

What happens when you get off the train in Rome?  How do you get to the airport?  Or does the train make a stop at the airport?  Thanks.

Are you looking to take the train from your ship to the airport at the end of your cruise?

I reiterate that it is a bit (well, more than a bit) of a hassle. In addition to all of the steps listed above, you will have to get off the train from Civitavecchia in Rome, and transfer to a different train to get to the airport. There is no direct train from the port to the airport.

It is much simpler to arrange for a shared van ride or a private transfer. The shared van rides are cheaper but have the same advantage of picking you up at the port and dropping you at your terminal at the airport.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2021 at 9:06 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Are you looking to take the train from your ship to the airport at the end of your cruise?

I reiterate that it is a bit (well, more than a bit) of a hassle. In addition to all of the steps listed above, you will have to get off the train from Civitavecchia in Rome, and transfer to a different train to get to the airport. There is no direct train from the port to the airport.

It is much simpler to arrange for a shared van ride or a private transfer. The shared van rides are cheaper but have the same advantage of picking you up at the port and dropping you at your terminal at the airport.

I read a previous summary you posted of all the steps that you need to take to get on the train and get to the port and back again.  I told DH there is no way that I can do that.  The hardest part would be carrying the luggage up a flight of stairs.  Thanks for the advice.  We will arrange for a private transfer.  ☺️

39 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I read a previous summary you posted of all the steps that you need to take to get on the train and get to the port and back again.  I told DH there is no way that I can do that.  The hardest part would be carrying the luggage up a flight of stairs.  Thanks for the advice.  We will arrange for a private transfer.  ☺️

Glad I could help. :classic_cool:  Like another poster above, I've done the train several times from Rome to the port and vice versa, but I tend to travel light, and of course I was younger. Also, up to about 5 years ago the port entrance was much closer to the train station.

• Like 1