Drove past the Port of Miami today

david_sobe

The new NCL terminal looked pretty much finished.  Its just missing some signage because unless someone told you, you would not know its NCL.  So its true that it could be finished in the next several months.  Parked at the port today was the NCL Dawn, NCL Sun, and NCL Epic.  The RCCL Oasis of the Seas was there and no matter how many times I see that ship in various ports, it surprises me how HUGE she is.  She made the Epic look like a toy.  Sort of sad just seeing them all sit there.   I had not seen Epic for awhile so it was nice to see her.  I remembered all the great times we had on her. Hopefully another day soon.😥

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Thanks for posting this.  It's nice to just think and read about normal stuff.  What might have once seemed pretty mundane is now most welcome!  Stay well David_Sobe!

PS.  Epic is probably my least favorite ship of all time but if she were the last one on earth available to sail, I'd gladly embark on her once again.  😊

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's nice to just think and read about normal stuff.  What might have once seemed pretty mundane is now most welcome!  Stay well David_Sobe!

😊

Totally agree with you! So refreshing to read something other than masks, fake news, and opinions about C19 that people go back and forth about who is right/ wrong. 

Keep positive. Stay Safe!

• Like 5

I second the photos - If you get the chance please share.  

I am booked on the Breakaway out of Miami next August so I am looking forward to seeing it for myself.

We are also booked on the Epic but not until 2022 out of San Juan.  We love that ship even tho I know many do not, this will be our 3rd time and we are doing a back to back on her.

My son and DIL were on the Oasis of the Seas and when they were showing me pictures I agree - It is huge.  I think too big for my taste.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

My son and DIL were on the Oasis of the Seas and when they were showing me pictures I agree - It is huge.  I think too big for my taste.

Our last RCL cruise was on Allure, sister of Oasis back in 2015.  So incredibly big!  As we were on a port intensive itinerary in the Mediterranean, I can tell you very little about the ship except it was way too big for my liking.  The Breakaway class is much more manageable... and it's big as well!  We also liked Escape which is only slightly bigger than Breakaway.  You are going to have an amazing time!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Our last RCL cruise was on Allure, sister of Oasis back in 2015.  So incredibly big!  As we were on a port intensive itinerary in the Mediterranean, I can tell you very little about the ship except it was way too big for my liking.  The Breakaway class is much more manageable... and it's big as well!  We also liked Escape which is only slightly bigger than Breakaway.  You are going to have an amazing time!

We prefer Jewel class but we have been on the Getaway, Escape and the Epic with the Breakaway soon.  We have been lucky enough to stay in the Haven so those ships did not seem that crowded.   On the Jewel class we are usually in an aft balcony or PH.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:38 AM, NJGeorge said:

If you drive by again take a couple of photos and post them.

The only ones you see now are letters from NCL !

Its too dangerous to take photos and drive.  If I catch the light at Palm/Star Island its ok.  

Eyes on the road 👀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, david_sobe said:

The new NCL terminal looked pretty much finished.  Its just missing some signage because unless someone told you, you would not know its NCL.  So its true that it could be finished in the next several months.  Parked at the port today was the NCL Dawn, NCL Sun, and NCL Epic.  The RCCL Oasis of the Seas was there and no matter how many times I see that ship in various ports, it surprises me how HUGE she is.  She made the Epic look like a toy.  Sort of sad just seeing them all sit there.   I had not seen Epic for awhile so it was nice to see her.  I remembered all the great times we had on her. Hopefully another day soon.😥

Could be 2022 before anyone uses it Lol

12 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Could be 2022 before anyone uses it Lol

Yes its possible.  They just closed down Ocean Drive's most popular hotel due to Covid concerns of not keeping guests safe.  Its an explosion of Covid in Miami and Florida.  When hotels say they cant keep customers safe, how could cruising resume. We are moving backwards and now think we could not see cruising for another year.  Governor will still not require masks and making everything open including schools which just makes it so much worse.   The rest of the world is reopening while we are getting worse every day because of politics.  Sad.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Yes its possible.  They just closed down Ocean Drive's most popular hotel due to Covid concerns of not keeping guests safe.  Its an explosion of Covid in Miami and Florida.  When hotels say they cant keep customers safe, how could cruising resume. We are moving backwards and now think we could not see cruising for another year.  Governor will still not require masks and making everything open including schools which just makes it so much worse.   The rest of the world is reopening while we are getting worse every day because of politics.  Sad.

Just listened to the Governor this morning downplaying things right after the Mayor of Miami said how bad it is.

Until ALL government entities come to an agreement (highly unlikely) we will continue to have problems.

I would love to come down to Fla. in October, but just cancelled flight, Airbnb and Car rental is next.  All for the 2nd time this year (April was the other).

No cruising for us in the near future, will wait and see how the guidelines go or even if the cruise lines adhere to them.

One of the few things I like about having to drive to Miami is driving past the port and seeing the ships.  Just the sight gives me a feeling of happiness.  Amazing how a sight, sound, smell can bring our minds to a place and make the day a little bit better.

• Like 4

We're hoping to be on the Encore end of January but every day that goes buy, the less I think it will happen.  Wish they would change the winter sailings to sail out of NY and go east/south.  Hope NCL is listening.  

24 minutes ago, BEACHBARB said:

We're hoping to be on the Encore end of January but every day that goes buy, the less I think it will happen.  Wish they would change the winter sailings to sail out of NY and go east/south.  Hope NCL is listening.  

I actually canceled from the NY to NO reposition in November.  One point of view is New York could be one of the safest ports later this year.  But 5-7 day cruises can only reach Bermuda and Florida!    Longer cruises to get further south are more expensive. Would they sell with only a couple months to fill them?

6 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I actually canceled from the NY to NO reposition in November.  One point of view is New York could be one of the safest ports later this year.  But 5-7 day cruises can only reach Bermuda and Florida!    Longer cruises to get further south are more expensive. Would they sell with only a couple months to fill them?

They NY winter cruises are usually 14 days.  Our January Encore is 12 days into the Panama canal and out again  I read there may be changes so we'll roll with the punches.  A lot of the people we were on the Bliss with out of NY last January were going on this Encore one because only the Gem was scheduled to sail out of NY.