The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I’m not in those, but I really love seeing them. I’ve gone back and looked at my own photos and will try to post later. I did find out that Mr B and I dined in Umi Uma that night. 

I have a really special video to post, too. 

I think that was the cruise where one of the guest lecturers talked about DNA and solving some old mysteries.

• Like 1

My, lots of mean spiritedness on the board.  So I'm going to talk about food.

This past week OLoPP brought home a top round roast. A fairly humble cut, but perfectly fine in its own right.  So on Wednesday evening I dry brined it (fancy way of saying covered it in salt.  Relax, it doesn't make the beef taste salty.  And yes, you've endured way too many meals that were over salted.  I know) and popped it back in the fridge, uncovered, for 24 hours.  Then Thursday night it went for a soak in the  sous vide Jacuzzi at 132F for a full 24 hours. The long cook is a great way to tenderize a firmer cut of meat.  Seared it in a hot pan to finish it and form a little crust.  Served with popovers straight from the oven, and a little brown gravy enriched with beef juices from the cooking bag.  Pretty darn satisfying on a February night. 

So today it's quite crisp here, may get to 31F for a high (and yes neighbors to the north, you are colder.  This too I know.)  That makes it a perfect day for one of OLoPP's all time favorites: grilled cheese and tomato soup.  She's pretty blissed out right now.

Saturday night is steak night at the Chez (my number one patron insists.)  There'll be a hand cut rib eye served a bit to the rare side of medium rare, accompanied by a simply baked potato.  First course for me is shrimp cocktail with homemade cocktail sauce (it's just ketchup and horseradish, sheesh.)  My allergic-to-shellfish dinner companion will be enjoying caviar to start.  It's an occasional indulgence here at the Chez (just like BTO nights.)  She's a purist, takes it with only a little sour cream.  Get your chopped shallots and capers right our of here!  The smile on her face as she savors it always puts one on mine.

Tomorrow?  Eh, I'll figure something out.

Thank you for coming to my food talk.  

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

My, lots of mean spiritedness on the board.  So I'm going to talk about food.

This past week OLoPP brought home a top round roast. A fairly humble cut, but perfectly fine in its own right.  So on Wednesday evening I dry brined it (fancy way of saying covered it in salt.  Relax, it doesn't make the beef taste salty.  And yes, you've endured way too many meals that were over salted.  I know) and popped it back in the fridge, uncovered, for 24 hours.  Then Thursday night it went for a soak in the  sous vide Jacuzzi at 132F for a full 24 hours. The long cook is a great way to tenderize a firmer cut of meat.  Seared it in a hot pan to finish it and form a little crust.  Served with popovers straight from the oven, and a little brown gravy enriched with beef juices from the cooking bag.  Pretty darn satisfying on a February night. 

So today it's quite crisp here, may get to 31F for a high (and yes neighbors to the north, you are colder.  This too I know.)  That makes it a perfect day for one of OLoPP's all time favorites: grilled cheese and tomato soup.  She's pretty blissed out right now.

Saturday night is steak night at the Chez (my number one patron insists.)  There'll be a hand cut rib eye served a bit to the rare side of medium rare, accompanied by a simply baked potato.  First course for me is shrimp cocktail with homemade cocktail sauce (it's just ketchup and horseradish, sheesh.)  My allergic-to-shellfish dinner companion will be enjoying caviar to start.  It's an occasional indulgence here at the Chez (just like BTO nights.)  She's a purist, takes it with only a little sour cream.  Get your chopped shallots and capers right our of here!  The smile on her face as she savors it always puts one on mine.

Tomorrow?  Eh, I'll figure something out.

Thank you for coming to my food talk.  

Sounds great! When should the rest of us arrive???😁

Just to warm you up a bit, it is an almost tropical -12C/10F here at the moment with a windchill of -20C/-4F and that is the HIGH for the day!🥶🥶🥶But at least we have a beautiful clear blue sky!!!

• Like 2

Well, It's Saturday Night Live but it's pretty close to Live From Ushuaia.  Friends on board another vessel which just arrived sent me several photos of Endeavor  I put them all on another thread but  since it's live from ......well you know.........I thought a couple of photos would be nice to share here.

IMG_6471.thumb.jpeg.1e8ae19ee7faa66daa3109718df9409c.jpeg

IMG_6473.thumb.jpeg.b5b49bfd188b3117b147bf31e9eb57e0.jpegIMG_6453.thumb.jpeg.389383f933e954a591aea44cb2269721.jpeg

Well if not for the cold front I would be smoking today. Well not me smoking but the new Traeger pellet grill smoker smoking. That's a tongue twister.

Tomorrow we will use it for the very first time.  Yes like a virgin.  LOL.  

Something simple but looking forward to it  

Happy Saturday.  Well Happy Saturday here.  For some of you it's Sunday.  

Keith

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Sounds great! When should the rest of us arrive???😁

Just to warm you up a bit, it is an almost tropical -12C/10F here at the moment with a windchill of -20C/-4F and that is the HIGH for the day!🥶🥶🥶But at least we have a beautiful clear blue sky!!!

Ah, flip flop weather.

Cocktails at six, dinner at seven.  The Chez has a dress code, so be sure and change into your good flip flops.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Ah, flip flop weather.

Cocktails at six, dinner at seven.  The Chez has a dress code, so be sure and change into your good flip flops.

So only dress requirement is flip flops.  Nothing else.  Just asking. LOL.

Please turn the heat up.  

Keith. 

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, BEAV said:

How many people does it take to fill a PH shower?

#SymphonyMemories

C952D2FB-BF02-4979-BCBF-8BE6A91933FF.jpeg

Too adorable. I know at least three of these people! You all look terrific and like you were able to really enjoy that voyage on the Symphony.

Edited by mskatiemae
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Don't make me hire a bouncer...

Which brings back memories of our very first Crystal cruise. The tour guide in Rio explaining the Brazilian "three piece bikini", sun hat, sunglasses and flip flops!!!😮😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mackenzie1 said:

My apologies.  I don't know why this image is not being attached. It's so beautiful, so I'll try again.  

I have noticed all my phone photos are now in that .heic format. Just got the Android 12 update this week. So Mac1 please let me know if you figure it out!

18 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

I have noticed all my phone photos are now in that .heic format. Just got the Android 12 update this week. So Mac1 please let me know if you figure it out!

Thanks. Yes, my pictures now appear to be in .heic format, when they were previously in jpeg. I’m not sure if they will post now. Will they still work in .heic? Thanks so much for reaching out. 👏🏻

24 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Thanks. Yes, my pictures now appear to be in .heic format, when they were previously in jpeg. I’m not sure if they will post now. Will they still work in .heic? Thanks so much for reaching out. 👏🏻

I found I could turn off the new format in my Camera app settings under "picture format". 

Well for the conspiracy theorists, BREAKING NEWS!!.  Endeavor is not going to Jail or Prison and the news about her was false.  Surprise.  News not 100% correct??????

She's outta there.

IMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.63ace7630de20c7660fd4f69415aebfa.jpeg

And she is not running from the police or the bounty hunters.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Mackenzie1 I didn't click on it but on your last post it says unavailable.  It might be there but just wanted to mention this.  

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Please accept my apologies, but I can’t seem to transfer the image from .heic to jpg. I have an iPhone 7, so maybe that’s why. 🙁

• Like 1