The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

These are the lyrics from one of my favorite Simpsons'  episodes, where the family goes on a cruise. (Unfortunately, I cannot find a video clip of it)  If you can find a video of the entire episode, as a cruise fanatic, you will enjoy it, recognizing a lot of it to be true.

Enjoy It While You Can is the song that cruise ship director Rowan Priddis (guest star Steve Coogan) sings aboard the Royalty Valhalla to mark the half-way point of the cruise. The song is a reminder to the passengers that the good times they have been having will soon end, which inspires Bart to try and make his family's vacation last forever. ("A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again"). The song was written by Bobby Lopez

Lyrics

Enjoy it while you can.
Ice sculptures, conga lines
and working on your tan.
Enjoy it while you're here.
One week of glitz and glam
instead of pain and fear.

In just a few days' time,
this boat pulls into dock
And when it does,
you lovely people
may be in for a shock.

Here, you've made exciting friends.
Back home, you'll all lose touch.
Here, Hawai'ian shirts are cool.
Back home, well, not so much.

Back home, you'll be too tired
for making magic in the sack.
So eat buffet and play and pray
there's some delay on our way back.

Enjoy it while you can.
Here at sea, we drink and frolick.
Back home, that's called alcoholic.
Your future's are but parabolic.

Enjoy it while you can!

Edited by Raptordash
punctuation mistake
  • Like 2

Well since we're in The Bistro, let's go behind-the-scenes in Pastéis de Belém where they've been making Portugal's national culinary treasure since 1837.  We had Portuguese Tarts in this little hole-in-the-wall bakery during a cruise call to Lisbon back in 2008.

https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-guardians-of-portugal-s-national-treasure?storylist_type=season&storylist_id=53

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Or as I like to say, "I don't speak Starbucks!!"

A dancer in The Bistro told us she takes her coffee with almond milk to cut down on the fat.

We take ours with heavy cream to increase the fat.

Makes me wonder if the fat free or the keto people correct  !?!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, FeliciaLee said:

A dancer in The Bistro told us she takes her coffee with almond milk to cut down on the fat.

I drink mine black, so I always get it the way I like it!🙂

• Like 1

Mix together 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup Greek yogurt and 1 teaspoon chia seeds in a small Mason jar or lidded glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight; in the morning, mix it well and add optional toppings like fresh or dried fruit, maple syrup, flaked coconut or nuts. Sitting in the yogurt overnight softens the oats.

I add almonds slices, a little honey, mashed banana and whatever fruit. Berries, peaches...

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.
  • Like 6

The HAL forum has a daily thread, "The Daily" which used to be just the locations of where the ships were but has become very much a general chat thread.  I've been adding a daily sunrise/sunset photo and might try it here.  My intention would be to do something from the same calendar date but I don't cruise much in mid-July so they will be varied dates, from many cruise lines and not even all cruise related.  For today to took the very first one I posted to a blog.  I was using now extinct travelpod at the time so I have to load it from my laptop.  This was from my first world cruise segment (Papeete to Auckland in 2011) and is sunset taken from my hotel in Papeete (1/29/11) the night before I boarded Serenity:

sunset.JPG.601b0abaf2b19500b2669a160003beb5.JPG

Roy

• Like 10

To my dear Chicago and Detroit friends...you may tout your pizza till the mozzarella melts, but being a native New Yorker...well, need I say more? But as long as I'm here in The Bistro, I'll ask Noel for a iced cappuccino. 

Edited by Out2See
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

OK, here we go:

I see the Portuguese Tart has arrived! 🤣

And, remember, you have to show up every day around 10:00am if you’re going to live up to your name! 😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

My better half used to take his with heavy whipping cream.

Me? I take mine black with a bit of stevia. 

The result? He was the slim and trim one of the family. I wasn’t. 

Go figure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Well since we're in The Bistro, let's go behind-the-scenes in Pastéis de Belém where they've been making Portugal's national culinary treasure since 1837.  We had Portuguese Tarts in this little hole-in-the-wall bakery during a cruise call to Lisbon back in 2008.

https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-guardians-of-portugal-s-national-treasure?storylist_type=season&storylist_id=53

You made my mouth water... simply the best tart in the world!

Last visit, we took some out in their shopping bag. That was at least 2 years ago. I kept the shopping bag. It still has that great scent of tart and cinnamon. 
sheila

• Thanks 1

Pondering....

Since posts about the river ships have been deemed off-topic for the overall Crystal board, and

Since posts in "The Bistro" are supposed to be off-topic,

Does that mean river posts are appropriate here?

You logic question for the weekend.

Discuss away, folks!!

• Like 2

Funny post found on Twitter:

Airport Codes 2020 Edition

IAD - I Always Donmasks

MIA - Masks In Airport

DUB - Did U Bringmasks

MSP - Masks Super Popular

DFW - Dope Facemask Wearing

MCO - Mask Cover On

LHR - Look Her Royalmask

RDU - Right Did Umaskup

YVR - Your Visagecovering's Rad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

You made my mouth water... simply the best tart in the world!

Last visit, we took some out in their shopping bag. That was at least 2 years ago. I kept the shopping bag. It still has that great scent of tart and cinnamon. 
sheila

Yes ... Pastéis de Belém are truly the best!  It was great to see a behind-the-scenes tour in the video.

I hope your upcoming Crystal cruise will be a go and you can enjoy Portuguese Tarts at the Bistro.  But it's good to have realistic expectations.  The tarts in the Bistro are good but they would never be mistaken for the real deal.  Enjoy!

12 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’m laughing that for an “off topic” thread we’re largely all staying in topic and raising Bistro related things....

I’m sure it won’t be long and we’ll all be wonderfully off topic 

Off to a good start!  Plenty of views and posts on day #1.

I hadn't realized that discussing river cruises is considered off-topic.  Certainly they belong somewhere, and those ships also have a Bistro.

If the Avenue name had been used, it might be harder to stay off-topic. 

Edited by Jim9310
add