Tango onboard

shel003

Just booked a South America and Antarctica cruise for January 2022 in the hopes all this pandemic will be better by then. Does anyone know if Princess has an tango performances onboard for this type of itinerary? Really want to see the tango but really can’t stay before or after the cruise for multiple reasons to see a real performance in Argentina.

6 minutes ago, shel003 said:

I meant Argentine tango. Not really interested in lessons (I use a wheelchair) but would love to see it performed.

I believe some of the port experiences in Buenos Aires include Argentine Tango demonstrations and/or performances.  Certainly with private tour sources if not Princess.

We were on a S.A. cruise in 2017 with an overnight in B.A. I don't remember seeing any tango shows on board. There were shore excursions in B.A.that included tango shows, but do not know if they were wheelchair accessible. There was also a Latin based party band that played all kinds of Latin music for passenger dancing.

Sometimes with an overnight port of call Princess brings on a local performance group. I don't remember that on our trip. 

Edited by skynight

I have been on 2 South American cruises both of which were not Princess.  Both of them had excellent local tango groups on board.  If Princess does not have local tango groups on board, there is something seriously wrong w Princess.

DON

• Haha 1

Of course Princess can change what it does on these cruises, but in 2016 the Star was doing round trips Buenos Aires - Santiago (no Antarctica) and an Argentine duo was on board to both perform and give Argentine tango lessons.  This year several of the itineraries on the Coral did include Antarctica and they did not have a tango instructor(s) on board.

If your ship overnights in Buenos Aires you'd have an opportunity to see live tango, and even though we haven't seen it yet, they could in the future decide to bring on board a tango show.

I'll try and post a video from 2017 of one of their several performances in the atrium in Feb 2016

Bruce  

If only they would provide better dance music you may find fellow passengers who tango. We do a lot of Argentine tango but find that most ships don’t provide a lot of good music and dance space.  We usually are frustrated but, when we can, we do dance. So look at the passenger dancers as well as what is on stage.  You might find a few good dancers to watch!