Sun Princess Cabin Question

bubbapuck

I have a cruise booked to Alaska on the Sun Princess in July 2020. My wife and I like interior cabins up high near the front of the ship. We are currently booked on the Riviera Deck towards the front of the ship. 

I am a little concerned about the noise from the pool. When we were in carnival the pool was crazy at times. I am more concerned about being under the Buffett. I have heard it can get noisy being below a Buffett. 

I like the fact we are just a stones throw away from the pool patio on an Alaska cruise. Walk right out to the beautiful scenery. 

Anyone with experience on this Or any opinions about this cabin on Sun or on an Alaska cruise. 

We were on the Sea Princess (sister ship of the Sun) in an inside cabin on the Aloha deck very close to under the pool and didn't have a problem with the noise.

Our friends have had a inside cabin down low near the front of the ship and didn't like the sound from the anchor being lowered.

Sorry I can't help with the Riviera Deck but you are very close to get outside to see the sights.

• Like 1

On several cruises we have been on Riviera deck on both the Sun and her sister, the Sea Princess. We didn't hear any noise whatsoever from the buffet immediately overhead. We also didn't hear any noise from the pool area. These cruises weren't to Alaska where I don't think the pool would be use much anyway.

Deck 11 and deck 10 have observation decks right at the front of the ship. They are great places to get a view forwards, but these decks are not open at night or in very rough weather. We like deck 11 because there is a little bit of shelter from the navigation bridge that extends slightly over the deck. Most people go to the totally open decks in front of the Horizon Court. To get there you have to walk up the stairs on deck 14, then walk towards the bow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

On several cruises we have been on Riviera deck on both the Sun and her sister, the Sea Princess. We didn't hear any noise whatsoever from the buffet immediately overhead. We also didn't hear any noise from the pool area. These cruises weren't to Alaska where I don't think the pool would be use much anyway.

Deck 11 and deck 10 have observation decks right at the front of the ship. They are great places to get a view forwards, but these decks are not open at night or in very rough weather. We like deck 11 because there is a little bit of shelter from the navigation bridge that extends slightly over the deck. Most people go to the totally open decks in front of the Horizon Court. To get there you have to walk up the stairs on deck 14, then walk towards the bow.

Thank you for the great advice. I will definately be looking for the observation decks. I would like to got nto all the different places to see the sites from different areas. 

Can you give me your honest opinion on the Sun. Alot of people are telling me bad things but it seems like a cute little ship to go to Alaska.

3 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Thank you for the great advice. I will definately be looking for the observation decks. I would like to got nto all the different places to see the sites from different areas. 

Can you give me your honest opinion on the Sun. Alot of people are telling me bad things but it seems like a cute little ship to go to Alaska.

We have cruised a lot, mainly on the Sun and Sea because they are based in Australia, but we have also cruised on some of the larger ships (Grand, Emerald, Diamond, Ruby and a Celebrity ship). The Sun and Sea are older, but they have several great features. The outside promenade deck (covered) right the way around the ship is great. Another great feature is the any-time TV (love that). The Sun has an international cafe and a SHARE restaurant (appeals to some people!). We like the size of the ship for the ease of getting around. Larger isn't necessarily better.

Downsides - the Princess Theatre has only two entrances/exits which slows down leaving the theatre. The cabins are smaller than on some ships.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, bubbapuck said:

I have a cruise booked to Alaska on the Sun Princess in July 2020. My wife and I like interior cabins up high near the front of the ship. We are currently booked on the Riviera Deck towards the front of the ship. 

I am a little concerned about the noise from the pool. When we were in carnival the pool was crazy at times. I am more concerned about being under the Buffett. I have heard it can get noisy being below a Buffett. 

I like the fact we are just a stones throw away from the pool patio on an Alaska cruise. Walk right out to the beautiful scenery. 

Anyone with experience on this Or any opinions about this cabin on Sun or on an Alaska cruise. 

I am sure you must have meant July 2021!  

WOW the Sun is coming back this direction, that's exciting.  Dawn / Sun were my first two Princess ships to sail on.  Loved the Sun, it's size, etc. . .I wouldn't worry about noise from the pool especially in AK.  Plus Princess passengers aren't the party animals (meant in a good way) that the CCL passengers are.

Enjoy the trip!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We were on the Sun in Australia in November 2019.  The ship is old and showing her age and our balcony room was TINY - by far the smallest cabin we've ever had in 25 cruises!  In fact, on our last night sailing into Perth the seas were very rough and we needed to pack.  We were literally being tossed against the walls because the space was so tight!  And the potential for motion sickness was becoming very real, even though we both wore Scopalomine patches.  We took a break from packing to go to the Vista Lounge where at least the space was larger so we didn't feel the motion as much.  We actually spent the night sleeping in our clothes on top of the bed in case we needed to go sleep in the Vista so we wouldn't get sick - YIKES!

Personally I'd never sail on this ship again because of the obvious wear and small size.  The temperatures on the ship were never constant - I'd bring a fleece outdoor jacket to the theater every night.  Sometimes I'd have to wear my jacket to the dining room!  On the other hand, the International Cafe (which is a very small and cramped area next to the piazza and seemed like an afterthought) was usually really warm and stuffy.  Go figure!

Barbara

On 9/8/2020 at 7:09 PM, Wisconsin Travelers said:

We were on the Sun in Australia in November 2019.  The ship is old and showing her age and our balcony room was TINY - by far the smallest cabin we've ever had in 25 cruises!  In fact, on our last night sailing into Perth the seas were very rough and we needed to pack.  We were literally being tossed against the walls because the space was so tight!  And the potential for motion sickness was becoming very real, even though we both wore Scopalomine patches.  We took a break from packing to go to the Vista Lounge where at least the space was larger so we didn't feel the motion as much.  We actually spent the night sleeping in our clothes on top of the bed in case we needed to go sleep in the Vista so we wouldn't get sick - YIKES!

Personally I'd never sail on this ship again because of the obvious wear and small size.  The temperatures on the ship were never constant - I'd bring a fleece outdoor jacket to the theater every night.  Sometimes I'd have to wear my jacket to the dining room!  On the other hand, the International Cafe (which is a very small and cramped area next to the piazza and seemed like an afterthought) was usually really warm and stuffy.  Go figure!

Barbara

Do you remember your cabin number? Deck name and location. Just curios to see where you are in compared to my cabin. We will be on the inside passage of Alaska for the most part so I am not too concerned about the rough seas. 

As much as Iove to sit (be placed at front of the ship), in the recent years the back side of the ship is my favorite. Its the most quite place, while its also one of the safest places on the ship. You always get a nice view of things that you have already passed and the balconies there have a much better panorama and you dont get all this harsh air in your face when cruising 

I know some people love the Sun and her sisters but they are the least favourite of any I have sailed.As Wisconsin said they are showing their age (though were recently refurbished). The tiny balcony cabin is a real downside. There was also a pervasive sewerage odour in some areas.

On the other hand if it was the only ship doing an itinerary I wanted I would still (probably) book.

10 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Do you remember your cabin number? Deck name and location. Just curios to see where you are in compared to my cabin. We will be on the inside passage of Alaska for the most part so I am not too concerned about the rough seas. 

Nope - don't remember the cabin number.  One thing I remember about the inside cabins was that some of them ran "perpendicular" to the balconies.  Most were just on the other side of the hallway which is how we've always seen them.  But then there were several that were situated across the ship, from port side to starboard.  Our room steward had some of those in his assignmnent.  You'll see them if you pull up the deck plans for the Sun Princess.  I hope you enjoy your Alaska cruise!