Jump to content

Scrapping of Cruise Ships


mrlevin
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a photo of Monarch (ex Monarch of the Seas) and Sovereign (ex Sovereign of the Seas) beached at Aliaga Turkey to begin breaking up.  Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Inspiration are speeding to Turkey to meet the same fate.  Carnival Corporation has already disposed of 10% of their 110 ship fleet; RCI (through Pullmantur) has also started the process.  What NCLH ships will meet the same fate?

 

image.png.7b31d56b8b44bc98f600980fa6309a75.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In this interview, Mr. del Rio indicated 

 

One thing Del Rio doesn’t envision is ship retirements, at least for his company’s brands.

“We have the youngest fleet in the industry by far,” he noted. “The average age of our ships is 10 years, so we are far from retiring any vessels.”

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2756415-scrapping-of-cruise-ships/

 

After lunch I'll see if I can find ages for each of the NCLH subs to see how they figured the average age.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regent ships per Wikipedia (pasta is boiling, LOL)

 

Ship Built Builder Gross Tonnage Flag Image
Seven Seas Navigator 1999 T. Mariotti, Genoa, Italy 28,550 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Navigator, Fremantle, 2018 (06).jpg
Seven Seas Voyager 2003 T. Mariotti, Genoa, Italy 42,363 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Voyager departing Tallinn 20 September 2014.JPG
Seven Seas Mariner 2001 Chantiers de l'Atlantique, Saint-Nazaire, France 48,075 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Mariner IMO 9210139 06 @chesi.JPG
Seven Seas Explorer 2016 Fincantieri, Sestri Ponente, Genova 54,000 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Explorer in Tallinn Bay Tallinn 21 June 2018.jpg
Seven Seas Splendor 2020 Fincantieri, Ancona[3] 55,254 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas AaaIMG 2418 Seven Seas Splendor.jpg

Future Ships

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oceana via icruise site

 

6 Oceania Cruises Ships

Ship Name Built Size Capacity Itineraries Details
Oceania Cruises Ships - Insignia
Insignia
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 16 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 350 cabins
684 guests
47 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Marina
Marina
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 44 Ratings
2016 66,084 tons 629 cabins
1,250 guests
69 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Nautica
Nautica
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 12 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
60 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Regatta
Regatta
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 43 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
54 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Riviera
Riviera
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 19 Ratings
2012 66,084 tons 629 cabins
1,250 guests
74 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Sirena
Sirena
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 12 Ratings
2000 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
66
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kitty thanks for the data; NCLH does have a very young fleet indeed; no need for the scrappers.  I wonder, then, which ships will enter cold layup for a year or more (like the two additional Carnival ships)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess my question would be, depending on how things go, which of the ships in any lines could be operated under 'COVID' guidance with the best return on investment, if NCLH had to decide to either scrap, sell, or put into long term cold storage.  Or, which ship could be sold for the best return, perhaps.  Hard decisions, I'd think.   Not sure age alone is the determinant?

 

I don't believe NCLH breaks out profitability by line, by ship, or at least I haven't tripped over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I didn't cross check the websites to confirm accuracy of data.

 

I know I keep saying this, but I wonder if the 2Q earnings report, which still hasn't had a date announced, will provide a little more context for a lot of questions.  Like cold layups, etc.  

 

And now my pasta is cooked!  Happy afternoon, all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Well, I didn't cross check the websites to confirm accuracy of data.

 

I know I keep saying this, but I wonder if the 2Q earnings report, which still hasn't had a date announced, will provide a little more context for a lot of questions.  Like cold layups, etc.  

 

And now my pasta is cooked!  Happy afternoon, all!

You are quite the busy one, doing all this heavy research. Enjoy your lunch break.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

Regent ships per Wikipedia (pasta is boiling, LOL)

 

Ship Built Builder Gross Tonnage Flag Image
Seven Seas Navigator 1999 T. Mariotti, Genoa, Italy 28,550 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Navigator, Fremantle, 2018 (06).jpg
Seven Seas Voyager 2003 T. Mariotti, Genoa, Italy 42,363 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Voyager departing Tallinn 20 September 2014.JPG
Seven Seas Mariner 2001 Chantiers de l'Atlantique, Saint-Nazaire, France 48,075 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Mariner IMO 9210139 06 @chesi.JPG
Seven Seas Explorer 2016 Fincantieri, Sestri Ponente, Genova 54,000 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas Seven Seas Explorer in Tallinn Bay Tallinn 21 June 2018.jpg
Seven Seas Splendor 2020 Fincantieri, Ancona[3] 55,254 GT 23px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas AaaIMG 2418 Seven Seas Splendor.jpg

Future Ships

 

Correction:

 

Explorer & Splendor are flagged in Majuro, Marshall Islands

 

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The websites and videos of the ship scrapyards and beaches in third world countries are so depressing.......particularly when you see what's left of some of the ships you've sailed on!🤕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first cruise ship never made it to the breakers, it sank off Cape Town while being towed to Alang.  Britanis was a wonderful ship; it actually served as a troop carrier during WWII before it eventually went to Chandris (which is now Celebrity).  

 

Marc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

My first cruise ship never made it to the breakers, it sank off Cape Town while being towed to Alang.  Britanis was a wonderful ship; it actually served as a troop carrier during WWII before it eventually went to Chandris (which is now Celebrity).  

 

Marc

 

We sailed the Britannis once when we lived in FL mid-'90's.  OLD but classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, greykitty said:

Oceana via icruise site

 

6 Oceania Cruises Ships

Ship Name Built Size Capacity Itineraries Details
Oceania Cruises Ships - Insignia
Insignia
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 16 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 350 cabins
684 guests
47 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Marina
Marina
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 44 Ratings
2016 66,084 tons 629 cabins
1,250 guests
69 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Nautica
Nautica
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 12 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
60 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Regatta
Regatta
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 43 Ratings
1998 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
54 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Riviera
Riviera
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 19 Ratings
2012 66,084 tons 629 cabins
1,250 guests
74 More
Oceania Cruises Ships - Sirena
Sirena
4 Stars - Oceania Cruises Ships Rating4 / 12 Ratings
2000 30,277 tons 351 cabins
684 guests
66

Marina is older than Riviera. I believe she was built in 2011. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...