Bistro Sur La Mer on Sky Princess

cruzysuzy

Fingers crossed we will be on a short cruise on the Sky next year.  I was looking at the menu of the Bistro and wonder if I am missing something.  The dinner menu seems to indicate that it is only a three course meal - appetizer or soup or salad/entree/dessert.  Is this correct?  I usually get an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert (at least I have at Sabatini's and Crown Grill).  But the menu has 'choose one' in parenthesis above the choices.

Yes, that is what it was when we dined in the venue on the Majestic Princess.  We didn't ask if we could have two in the appetizer / salad category so I'm not sure what their answer would be.  I can say that the servings are large, so we didn't leave hungry.

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, that is what it was when we dined in the venue on the Majestic Princess.  We didn't ask if we could have two in the appetizer / salad category so I'm not sure what their answer would be.  I can say that the servings are large, so we didn't leave hungry.

The online sample menu says that an additional main would cost $10.  Perhaps an additional appetizer could be had for an upcharge?.

Be aware of the location. Non stop passenger traffic walking by and brushing up against and jostling you if you are on the end tables. Extremely noisy because the location is right above the atrium. If you are looking for "french restaurant fine dining" experience, this is not the place.

Don't mind the traffic.  Some of the dishes seemed interesting and I'm a sucker for French/French inspired food.

I knew about the additional charge for an entree at other venues but find it hard to believe that Princess would break tradition and charge for sides.  Who knows? 🙄

I didn't enjoy my food. I ordered some kind of fish for main dish, forgot what was called on the menu. The fish was fish sticks. I ate a couple and gave the rest to my friends eating with us. By no means a gourmet meal.Others seem to like their meals.

Wouldn't eat there again. We were lucky and our table was a little towards the back. Most tables had people walking past them on the way to somewhere else. And really noisy  because of music in Piazza.Not a nice venue at all.

We ate there on the Sky and I can honestly say we did not enjoy our meal.  We did have a window near the window.  Service was excellent.  I don’t remember noise being an issue. But then we had a 5pm reservation and there was nothing going on in the atrium.   I wouldn’t eat there again.  
Desserts were good though.AC04B118-718F-44D5-A821-DB4E30511C80.thumb.jpeg.6e16ab62035a338ade5d8955af44b3ce.jpeg

I did not eat there while on the Sky.  We passed there every night to get to the theater.  Tables for 2 were along the glass railing where people walked by.  The fish smell was bad when walking by.  I mentioned it to the Guest Services desk as a paid restaurant it should have been in an actual restaurant like the other paid restaurants.

We didn't have a problem with either the location or the food with La Mer on Sky Princess. Actually preferred it to our experience in the Crown Grill. We were seated close to the window (looking out onto the new Alfresco Dining Area) and there were very few other diners, although it was around 7pm on a port day.

Here's a pic of some of the tables:

bistro-layout.thumb.jpg.2a6fc0b80aa6416a38e6eca1e58e48d1.jpg

Our bread basket - mmmm!

bistro-bread.thumb.jpg.7deab8aa3e3049fa2ec795aa968bcc12.jpg

The Welcome appetizers (polenta chips and goats cheese balls that look like olives)

bistro-app.thumb.jpg.27e0037eb691522d1f3852c451749bc6.jpg

Appetizers (smoked cured salmon and pate en croute) plus Mains (roast jumbo scallops and beef filet mignon)

bistro-multi.thumb.jpg.90bf308c53af51067fdad20169f7c3d6.jpg

Desserts (chocolate finger and rum baba)

bistro-dessert2.jpg.0f90672a9efc7fe22061d8779698ee4b.jpg

bistro-dessert1.thumb.jpg.307da16b825f69172053ecfaae394f93.jpg

Sandra

Edited by dides
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, dides said:

We didn't have a problem with either the location or the food with La Mer on Sky Princess. Actually preferred it to our experience in the Crown Grill.

Appetizers (smoked cured salmon and pate en croute) plus Mains (roast jumbo scallops and beef filet mignon)

bistro-multi.thumb.jpg.90bf308c53af51067fdad20169f7c3d6.jpg

Sandra

Thanks for the photos.  Honestly, in looking at the Mains, there is nothing there that I would pay $29 for.  The vegetables served with the 3 ounces of scallops look like they came from a school lunch program.  Seriously.  That is what the galley prepares as a side?  Birds-Eye frozen medley?   And the steak looks like an MDR steak served with "Potatoes a la Afterthought." 

Hi, 

I did a short three-night cruise on the Sky Princess in December 2019 and tried each of the specialty restaurants for dinner: (1) Crown Grill; (2) Bistro Sur La Mer; and (3) Sabatini's. This was the first cruise where I never had dinner in the dining room. I enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere in all three restaurants. In Bistro Sur La Mer, I was seated at a table for two near a window and don't recall noise being a problem during my dinner. I actually like the location because it has views of the Piazza and the ocean. I had the Salade de saison, beef filet mignon and dessert. There was plenty to eat. 

I also had lunch at Alfredo's Pizzeria one day (which I enjoyed). It is across the Piazza from the Bistro.

The Sky Princess is a beautiful ship. I didn't realize that this would be my last cruise (at least for the foreseeable future).

Chuck

• Like 1

We were on the Sky for 28 days, and this restaurant was so out in the open and LOUD that we would not even think of eating there. The atrium is right there, it was ALWAYS so loud that you could not hear yourself think, much less feel you could enjoy eating. The food may have been good, but if I wanted to eat in a very noisy place I would just go to Senior Frogs in Mexico and at least have fun with the other folks.....

We were on the Sky last November. Had dinner in La Mer. I thought the food and service were good but the noise was an issue for me. We were in the midst of our main course when the show let out in Princess Theater. It was very loud and unpleasant. 

They served brunch in there on the last sea day and we went. If I remember correctly, it was $19.00 a person. Good food, good service and noise was not an issue. I recommend brunch over dinner.