Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

We just booked a cruise that is round trip from Rome for next summer. We will spend a few days in Rome prior to the departure. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotel that is great for families? We are a group of 5, so I know the typical recommendations likely won’t work. We need either a room for 5 or guaranteed connecting rooms. Hoping to be as walkable as possible to some of the primary tourist sites.

52 minutes ago, LMR said:

We just booked a cruise that is round trip from Rome for next summer. We will spend a few days in Rome prior to the departure. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotel that is great for families? We are a group of 5, so I know the typical recommendations likely won’t work. We need either a room for 5 or guaranteed connecting rooms. Hoping to be as walkable as possible to some of the primary tourist sites.

You might consider a VRBO for your group.

• Like 1

I know I’m my searches I found a bunch of 2 bedroom suites but they were top dollar. Most of the rooms slept 4 max.  Do you have AAA or Amex?  I try reaching out to one of their travel agents. I wish I had done that instead of trying to do mine alone.  

Hi all, such great information on here. I’d love to get suggestions for my scenario.  I will be in Rome in July pre-cruise for one night and post-cruise for 3 nights.  It is just myself and my two daughters (11&13). We are from Las Vegas, so spoiled when it comes to hotel offerings, and have a suite booked for the cruise. I realize I’m not going to get the same modernity and size in Rome but I’d like to find somewhere that 1) is pretty central for walking purposes, 2) is safe, 3) has an elevator, 4) as modern (upgraded, new)  as possible.  I am willing to go up to around 800-ish a night.  Right now we have the Hotel Nazionale booked for the night before and Terrace Pantheon Relais for after, but booked all refundable so we can change.  

thoughts??

37 minutes ago, crusinmomwithtwo said:

Hi all, such great information on here. I’d love to get suggestions for my scenario.  I will be in Rome in July pre-cruise for one night and post-cruise for 3 nights.  It is just myself and my two daughters (11&13). We are from Las Vegas, so spoiled when it comes to hotel offerings, and have a suite booked for the cruise. I realize I’m not going to get the same modernity and size in Rome but I’d like to find somewhere that 1) is pretty central for walking purposes, 2) is safe, 3) has an elevator, 4) as modern (upgraded, new)  as possible.  I am willing to go up to around 800-ish a night.  Right now we have the Hotel Nazionale booked for the night before and Terrace Pantheon Relais for after, but booked all refundable so we can change.  

thoughts??

This ask is definitely in the kind @cruisemom42 territory… Be patient 

3 hours ago, crusinmomwithtwo said:

thoughts??

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo in Rome last year.  Centrally located, close to Campo De Fiori, Piazza Navona, etc., elevator and most rooms were renovated recently.  Wonderful breakfast as well.  Keep in mind hotel rooms in Rome are small.  We were able to walk everywhere including back from the Colosseum and Vatican.  Great restaurants nearby.  Roscioli  bakery across the street.   No issues with safety.   Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cruisefan123 said:

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo in Rome last year.  Centrally located, close to Campo De Fiori, Piazza Navona, etc., elevator and most rooms were renovated recently.  Wonderful breakfast as well.  Keep in mind hotel rooms in Rome are small.  We were able to walk everywhere including back from the Colosseum and Vatican.  Great restaurants nearby.  Roscioli  bakery across the street.   No issues with safety.   Hope this helps. 

So glad to see great comments about Hotel Smeraldo...we're booked there for 3 days pre-cruise in late October. We knew it would be a central location but weren't sure about anything else. Thanks!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crusinmomwithtwo said:

thoughts??

Do you want modern "style" or traditional "style"?

Quite a few Italian hotels stick with their traditional decor, but some have a more modern flair. Each may be equally "modern" (e.g., appointments, fittings, mattress quality, bathrooms) but just look different.

And yes, rooms will be smaller. But you don't go to Rome to sit in your hotel room!

6 hours ago, crusinmomwithtwo said:

I lean toward modern just because that reads new and clean to me. But that’s not an absolute. Like you said I more want quality, good mattress and linens, shower quality etc. 

Taste is individual -- have a look at this nice summary of some more modern "boutique" hotels, often housed in old palazzos. You'll very rarely find a new "building" in central Rome. Instead, old buildings are repurposed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/rome/articles/best-boutique-hotels-in-rome/

If any of them interest you, you can click on the link in each for more info including location and then check it out via Google maps. Monti is an area where there are some more modern "styled" boutique hotels. Monti is located closer to the Colosseum and Forum than to the "center" of central Rome (e.g., the Pantheon/Navona area).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Taste is individual -- have a look at this nice summary of some more modern "boutique" hotels, often housed in old palazzos. You'll very rarely find a new "building" in central Rome. Instead, old buildings are repurposed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/rome/articles/best-boutique-hotels-in-rome/

If any of them interest you, you can click on the link in each for more info including location and then check it out via Google maps. Monti is an area where there are some more modern "styled" boutique hotels. Monti is located closer to the Colosseum and Forum than to the "center" of central Rome (e.g., the Pantheon/Navona area).

Thank you! I'll take a look now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at Rome Fumicino airport waiting for flight home… 

Hotel Golden family suite was excellent. 250 euro per night   Suite was 2 bedrooms with a foyer with table.  10 minutes to Spanish steps and Borghese Gallery.  Good coffee shop right next door with croissants and pastries.  It is up a big hill so great heading out in the morning, but consider taxi back at night. Would definitely stay here again if we return

• Like 1

We recently stayed at Navona49 in Piazza Navona for two nights pre-cruise and it was wonderful!  Booked 10 months in advance directly through their website and received a better rate than what Booking.com offered.  I emailed a few times prior to booking and Angela (I believe she’s 1 of the owners) replied quickly each time.  She actually emailed me three weeks prior to arrival to let me know construction on an adjoining building had begun earlier than expected and scaffolding with some type of cover had been placed in front of their building.  She wanted to “give us full transparency” so as not to be disappointed.  We chose to keep our booking and gave us a discount and had a bottle of Prosecco upon our arrival.  We booked the deluxe suite which has an adjoining room equivalent to a small living room.  It reminded us of a little apt and was great for keeping all of our luggage in instead of walking over in the bedroom.  The place was immaculate, employees very friendly and great location to walking to almost every site you want to see, except for possibly Vatican City & Colosseum but taxi circle was right around the corner.  Highly recommend.

• Like 3

For those looking for a great deal in Rome, I just booked Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Trastevere for the fall.  The superior single room cost just 78 euro per night, including breakfast.  I've stayed here a couple of times previously and it is a great deal, with one major caveat: it's not for light sleepers.  

Originally a medieval palace, more recently it was a Catholic monastery or convent (I can't remember which) which has been converted into a hotel.  It is a step up from a monastery or convent stay as there are TVs in the rooms, it is air conditioned, there is Wifi and 24-hour front desk.  They did not change the flooring, however, and there is no carpeting so you do hear people walking in the hallways or dragging luggage.  I can sleep through a brass band passing by, but I can see how it would bother others so I'm noting that.  For comparison, I chose this over another convent I've used a few times in Rome that costs only 48 euro per night, but has no TV in rooms, no wifi, and the doors are locked between midnight and 6 AM.  I decided that a week was longer than I wanted to go without those amenities.

Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Roma, Official Website (sfromana.it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:08 AM, euro cruiser said:

For those looking for a great deal in Rome, I just booked Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Trastevere for the fall.  The superior single room cost just 78 euro per night, including breakfast.  I've stayed here a couple of times previously and it is a great deal, with one major caveat: it's not for light sleepers.  

Originally a medieval palace, more recently it was a Catholic monastery or convent (I can't remember which) which has been converted into a hotel.  It is a step up from a monastery or convent stay as there are TVs in the rooms, it is air conditioned, there is Wifi and 24-hour front desk.  They did not change the flooring, however, and there is no carpeting so you do hear people walking in the hallways or dragging luggage.  I can sleep through a brass band passing by, but I can see how it would bother others so I'm noting that.  For comparison, I chose this over another convent I've used a few times in Rome that costs only 48 euro per night, but has no TV in rooms, no wifi, and the doors are locked between midnight and 6 AM.  I decided that a week was longer than I wanted to go without those amenities.

Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Roma, Official Website (sfromana.it)

This looks like a great choice! 

A few questions:

Stairs (if so, how many floors) or elevator?

What did breakfast include?

Are there places nearby to get breakfast?

Easy to get to sites? (train, bus or walk)

Easy to get to from the airport?

THANKS!

(It was such a great price I went ahead & booked it since I can cancel for free--plus so far I am seeing high prices or no availability for others I've checked...tho I have just begun looking)

Edited by KKB

There is an elevator.

It was a typical Italian buffet breakfast, not as vast as a five star hotel but it had both hot and cold offerings.

It's easy to walk to many sites, and easy to get to public transit options.

I take the regional train from the airport to Trastevere, and either the bus or the tram (whichever is working at the moment) to Porta Portese and walk from there (four-tenths of a mile).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hotel Smeraldo? The reviews are positive and we booked for next May. They have a main building and an annex directly across the street. The room availability in the main was a 15sq m.w/ balcony and in the annex a premium 19sq m. room. We are staying 7 days so we went with the larger room. Similar pricing. Any concerns with the annex? Thanks

5 hours ago, martyap said:

Hotel Smeraldo? The reviews are positive and we booked for next May. They haveo  a main building and an annex directly across the street. The room availability in the main was a 15sq m.w/ balcony and in the annex a premium 19sq m. room. We are staying 7 days so we went with the larger room. Similar pricing. Any concerns with the annex? Thanks

I tend to be skeptical of annexes in booking hotels, as often they are more modern and I like historical character. However, I haven't read any negatives about the annex for Hotel Smeraldo other than that you'll have to walk to the main building (very short walk I hasten to add!) to get your breakfast. 

The annex has its own roof terrace, just fyi.

We usually stay at Albergo del Senato but we got a good rate at Smeraldo and the room is 19msq

Will check out Senato rates when they open. Must admit communication with Smeraldo was 5* and Senato zero after three email attempts. Plus we have been to Rome several times so looking at the Pantheon is no biggie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martyap said:

We usually stay at Albergo del Senato but we got a good rate at Smeraldo and the room is 19msq

Will check out Senato rates when they open. Must admit communication with Smeraldo was 5* and Senato zero after three email attempts. Plus we have been to Rome several times so looking at the Pantheon is no biggie

We've stayed at Albergo del Senato three times over the years...in a Superior Double Room each time.  The first two times we had excellent accommodations; however, last fall our room was the smallest room we have ever had in Europe...or anywhere.  There was just enough room for our bed and open luggage had to be slid under the bed so we could walk by.  There were a couple of other issues that prompted us to look elsewhere which is how we ended booking six nights at Hotel Smeraldo is a Family Suite Town House this fall.

By the way, we never had issues with email correspondence using info@albergodelsenato.it

5 hours ago, martyap said:

I agree…..but 3 days…..3 no replies

I had no problem with communicating with Albergo del Senato. We had a Panthenon view room with a large bathroom. Breakfast was excellent. We had reservations (essential) at Armandos Restaurant just across the plaza --Cacio e Pepe followed by lamb chops were superb. Gelato was homemade -divine. We  roamed from the hotel, past Bernini's Elephant sculpture and ended up at the stunning Chiesa di Sant' Ignazio di Loyola. We are non too mobile so this was plenty for us. 

6 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We've stayed at Albergo del Senato three times over the years...in a Superior Double Room each time.  The first two times we had excellent accommodations; however, last fall our room was the smallest room we have ever had in Europe...or anywhere.  There was just enough room for our bed and open luggage had to be slid under the bed so we could walk by.

Do you recall what floor this tiny room with a view was on?