Great Cruising Memories

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I should be ready by then...I’m waiting for a new kidney

Good wishes for you!  I'll say a prayer for you as well.   

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

”Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness...”

Mark Twain

I have found such to be very true.  Yet, I  have encountered a few travelers who seemed not to have been impacted by their travels as much as I.  

Another idea for a Thread:  Would Mark Twain's statement make a good topic for CC?  The purpose of such a Thread would be for contributors to provide examples of how their travels have changed themselves and their views/opinions.  Not sure that such posts would fit in this category, but also not sure in which CC category it would fit.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Good wishes for you!  I'll say a prayer for you as well.   

Thank you RK.  

I have found such to be very true.  Yet, I  have encountered a few travelers who seemed not to have been impacted by their travels as much as I.  

I have met a few travelers who were not capable of comprehending Twain’s words.

Another idea for a Thread:  Would Mark Twain's statement make a good topic for CC?  The purpose of such a Thread would be for contributors to provide examples of how their travels have changed themselves and their views/opinions.  Not sure that such posts would fit in this category, but also not sure in which CC category it would fit. 

I would think you would have the best luck with this on the Celebrity site.

18 hours ago, George C said:

No it was scrapped, was a very nice ship at the time 

Former MSC cruise ship sank in Goa, India

Presumably the former MSC MELODY will end up in a scrap yard after sinking alongside her berth in the Western India Shipyard in Goa.

According to various Indian media strong rain was responsible for the flooding of the QING, which was laid up since nearly three years. The cruise ship was sold in autumn 2013 to the Indian conglomerate Sahra India Pariwar and transferred under the name of QING to India. She was going to be converted into a gambling ship but the government of Goa refrained from issuing licenses.

a257d97b0803f6fbf380fda4cf2f9c02_870x1000.jpeg

ship-qing-which-started-sinking-mormugao-harbour-in-vasco-14672862838749.jpg

efforts-are-on-to-salvage-the-cruiseliner-ship-qing-of-sahara-india-pariwar-14672862472211.jpg

cruiseliner-ship-qing-of-sahara-india-pariwar-which-started-sinking-14672862472129.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I would think you would have the best luck with this on the Celebrity site.

Why do you suggest Celebrity?  (That's a cruise line with which I have little familiarity.)  

Thinking about my suggestion for a topic overnight, I am questioning whether it would be worth trying to start a thread.  (It would be informative and helpful if the Moderator of this Category would offer her/his opinions, I think.)  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Why do you suggest Celebrity?  (That's a cruise line with which I have little familiarity.)  

Thinking about my suggestion for a topic overnight, I am questioning whether it would be worth trying to start a thread.  (It would be informative and helpful if the Moderator of this Category would offer her/his opinions, I think.)  

Hi RK,
You never know if you have a viable topic on CC.  I’ve started threads that I thought would stimulate conversation only to see them die a sudden death.  I’ve had others that I thought would only last 1 page and they expanded with a life of their own...who knew??

I thought that a Celebrity thread would be good because that site seems to have a large following with diverse opinions from pax who are very experienced.  Most Celebrity cruisers have had a wealth of experience on various lines IMHO.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,
You never know if you have a viable topic on CC.  I’ve started threads that I thought would stimulate conversation only to see them die a sudden death.  I’ve had others that I thought would only last 1 page and they expanded with a life of their own...who knew??

I thought that a Celebrity thread would be good because that site seems to have a large following with diverse opinions from pax who are very experienced.  Most Celebrity cruisers have had a wealth of experience on various lines IMHO.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I am hopeful that a CC Moderator will read this thread and respond with their opinion as to how--and if--to proceed.  I am thinking that maybe an entirely new topic within the Cruise Discussion Topics could be created by Cruise Critic.  In a few days, if there's no response from a Moderator, I will try to make a contact and ask for their opinion.

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ryndam mentioned some other ships.  One of them was the Norway ex S.S. France.  How many here have some great memories of that ship?  

I sailed on the Norway more times than any other ship 7 including my honeymoon in 1991, loved that ship , really great piano bar , in disco there were port holes to the pool sometimes you could see people swimming. Elegant club international which was a great place to spend New Years Eve. 

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ryndam mentioned some other ships.  One of them was the Norway ex S.S. France.  How many here have some great memories of that ship?  

I never sailed the France, but I remember visiting the ship several times in NYC in the late 1960's to "bon voyage" my parent's friends off to Europe. I can still remember the ship's band playing "I Love Paris" in the first class smoking room prior to the "all visitors ashore" announcements.

However, we were on the maiden voyage of the Norway in June 1979, r/t Miami. The ship's conversion from  the France wasn't quite completed. The closed-circuit TV's weren't operational. The tap water and shower water was the color of ice-tea; the toilet water was even worse. The A/C was temperamental, at best. Not all public rooms were open. Fire alarms went off for no apparent reason. Dining room and bar service was still a training-exercise-in-progress". Shipyard workers were still onboard.

All of our closet hangers were French Line originals; when they were finally replaced with NCL hangers on about Day 5 of the cruise, our cabin steward told us to take the French Line hangers as souvenirs, since they were just going into the trash anyway. (We still have about a dozen or so and continue to use them!)

Down in the depths of the ship, the former first class indoor pool was still a work-in-progress. There were stacks and stacks and stacks of Lalique glass. Most too heavy to haul away, but I did collect two small pieces; the shipyard workers were just planning to throw all of it away upon return to Miami.

During the entire cruise, workers were replacing the French directional and informational signs throughout the ship with the new NCL-standard signs. I just followed around some of these workers and relieved them of any interesting French signs before they dumped them in their trash bins. I found a cache of French Line flatware in a box in a stairway. And several cartons of French Line bar soap.

When we returned home, I wrote to NCL about the unfinished state of the ship. We were offered a 50% credit toward a future cruise or a 40% refund. We took the refund. I never sailed on the ship again, but I did have an opportunity to visit the Norway again in Miami after the two-deck vertical expansion was constructed. 

Rob

Edited by ryndam
typo

3 hours ago, George C said:

I sailed on the Norway more times than any other ship 7 including my honeymoon in 1991, loved that ship , really great piano bar , in disco there were port holes to the pool sometimes you could see people swimming. Elegant club international which was a great place to spend New Years Eve. 

Hi RK,

DW and I were on the SS France in 1973 for an Eastward and a Westward crossing.  She was quite the ship in her heyday.  We were in Tourist Class and had one of those oft talked about inside cabins with a sink and no bathroom.  Hey...I was still finishing college!  We had a ball nonetheless.  The France was very well kept and was in prime condition.  We would average more than 27 knots.  The Eastward crossing was one of the smoothest sailings we had ever encountered.  You did not know you were on a ship!  

We had a very interesting group of passengers sailing with us.  Actors, actresses, musicians and the music director who had done “Cabaret” on Broadway for two years.  Our table in the dining room was also interesting...a husband and wife who were actors and a couple from Texas who had been married to other spouses but were running away together.  The dinner conversation was interesting...to say the least.  The food was incredible.  Whatever dish they offered was the best you ever had.  Wine was included with lunch and dinner.  The wine list was to die for.  We had a few musicians who were traveling to Europe and they were able to jam with the ship’s band each night.  The music was sensational.  The final night was the Farewell Pom Pom Party.  Everyone danced like mad and they passed out the little fuzzy pom poms and you dipped them in your Champagne and tossed them at the dancers...really funny.  The French had there game plan down pat.  They would start the crossing very formally with great decorum.  Each day would get a little less formal and by the last night it was “Laissez les bon temps rouler”.  They called this “L’Atmosphere Transat”.  The France had a sophisticated panache even Tourist Class had class!  Craig Claiborne, the renowned food critic for The NY Times once wrote an article in Playboy magazine entitled “The Greatest Restaurant In The World”.  Of course it was the SS France!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

Greetings CGTNORMANDIE:  You were responding to George C's post and not me this time. 😀

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The food was incredible.  Whatever dish they offered was the best you ever had.  Wine was included with lunch and dinner.  The wine list was to die for.

And, you were a Tourist Class guest.  What must First Class have been like?

10 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The France had a sophisticated panache even Tourist Class had class!  Craig Claiborne, the renowned food critic for The NY Times once wrote an article in Playboy magazine entitled “The Greatest Restaurant In The World”.  Of course it was the SS France!  

I have read that article by Craig Claiborne.  It continued to whet my desire to "experience" such adventures!

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Greetings CGTNORMANDIE:  You were responding to George C's post and not me this time. 😀

See my previous post.

And, you were a Tourist Class guest.  What must First Class have been like?

First Class dining was mind blowing.  I had a huge collection of First Class menus which I have since donated to a museum.  The choices were mind boggling...using the finest ingredients from both sides of the Atlantic.  One of my biggest regrets is not sailing in First Class on the SS France. 

I have read that article by Craig Claiborne.  It continued to whet my desire to "experience" such adventures!  Claiborne’s cook books are the best!

My sole memory of a personal experience of the S. S. France was a Summer, early 1960's Midnight sailing.  My Mother, Brother, and I were visitors.  I "knew" my way around, so to speak, after studying the ship's deck plans for some time and we visited many of the areas of the ship including the First Class Dining Room and the Writing Room.  There, a Steward was selling postcards of the ship.  I had to buy one.  Beautiful ship and  the sailing at that time of night with the Red and Black funnels lighted, wow!

Our plan was to then hire a taxi to take us back to our mid-town New York hotel.  No taxis, however were available.  So, through the dark Manhattan streets we walked from Pier 88.  My Mother soon detected some "suspicious" characters trailing us and my Brother and I were told to "pick up the pace" of our walking and "not to look back".  My Brother mildly protested, but was told to "DO It".  "I'll explain later, my Mother said, which she did.  With her warning, I became more aware of our situation.  Probably, we weren't in any danger, but it was a lesson of situational awareness that I learned and became part of my memory of visiting the S. S. France.  

I've sailed on the "Norway", but only visited the "France".   I don't remember what year it was, but we went on board (that's when visitors were permitted) We didn't know anyone sailing and it was going to be the Christmas New Years cruise.  The ship was all decked out and we enjoyed visiting all of the public rooms. Prior to the sailing, one could visit the public rooms in both classes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marco said:

I've sailed on the "Norway", but only visited the "France".   I don't remember what year it was, but we went on board (that's when visitors were permitted) We didn't know anyone sailing and it was going to be the Christmas New Years cruise.  The ship was all decked out and we enjoyed visiting all of the public rooms. Prior to the sailing, one could visit the public rooms in both classes.

Seeing the public rooms decorated for the holidays would have been an "extra added attraction" to your visit.  With a December sailing, with the breeze probably coming off the Hudson River, it must have been a chilly time to watch the France sail.  

I was 24 years old and still working my way through college.  CGT was offering a “Student Discount“ and DW and I took advantage.  We had a beautiful crossing and 4 wonderful days in London while the ship turned around.  Then we took the Westward sailing home.  In those days you could take the train down from Boston and hop a cab from Penn Station to the piers...as it had been done for the past 100 years.  

I remember the boarding process as we were herded into the big hall on the second level at the pier.  The Long Shore Men took your luggage as you exited the cab and stood with your luggage at curbside until you slipped them the obligatory few dollars to insure the safety of your luggage.  We then waited for about an hour and then made the long walk up the gangway.  We actually met several people, while waiting in the line, who we made friends with.  It was not unusual to have a dozen or so meet for cocktails before and after dinner.  I remember the lounges at sailing time.  Visitors were allowed onboard as well as flower, candy and fruit basket deliveries by the car load.  Cabin parties were everywhere with party goers spilling out into the passageways.  If you happened to be walking down one of the passageways you would often be asked to join in.  I saw people lugging coolers.  The cabin parties were insane.  

It was the CGT custom to allow pax to bring their own wine onboard for sail-away parties.  The stewards would even bring glasses and ice, etc. and they would open your wine and pour it!  I think this custom had something to due with the customs regulations that forbade liquor service while in port.  

Then the All Ashore gong was sounded and we all went out to the enclosed promenade and waved goodbye to all the visitors on the top of the pier and out on the balcony.  Streamers were tossed and the ship’s speakers played the French Navy version of Anchors Aweigh as the great SS France backed out into the East River.  Tea, coffee and cake were served as we sailed out of the harbor.    

• Like 1

We sailed on Norway in 1996.  A great cruise on a great ship!

One sea day, as DH was standing at the rail, he realized that the lady standing next to him was Lorene Yarnell.  We had several conversations with her; a truly lovely person.  And boy could she dance!

Two levels of Promenade Decks made for lots of good walk time, although crossing at the front was always against a strong wind.

Riding the tender into a port, looking up at the vast hull never ceased to amaze.

After attending ballroom dance classes, we were recruited to be the Foxtrot Couple at the dance party.  Live orchestra for all dancing, or course.

I think the only negative related to the cruise (even our very tiny cabin was not too bad) was the fact that at disembarkation, we walked into the terminal to find that all 4,000+ pieces of baggage were in one big pile.  No color coding, no order.  Finding ours took A While.

• Like 1

We were really BIG  Home lines and particularly "Oceanic" fans, as were so many of our freinds and family and we'd end up at someone's bon voyage party 2 or 3 times a season.  In the summer, the ship would be only going on a 7 day cruise, but there were probably 5 visitors for every passenger, and you'd think they were leaving on a world cruise..  I remember some  bon voyage parties where there were at least 25 or so of us seeing a couple off for the week. Coolers, pizzas, sandwich trays, cookie trays...on and on and on.  Flowers, bottles, and fruit baskets being delivered to cabins. On the longer winter cruises, wardrobes would be delivered for those who lived in the greater NYC area so you'd never have to unpack...that wardrobe was your closet.  For the longer winter cruises, you'd need a lot more, as every evening was at least semi-formal and God forbid....you should wear the same outfit twice!  The bands on deck, the streamers and confetti flying and the tugs and the ship tooting back and forth as the ship backed out of the berth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marco said:

We were really BIG  Home lines and particularly "Oceanic" fans

Our paths may have crossed on those Oceanic cruises. We sailed the first cruise in January, right after the Xmas/New Years' cruise, r/t NYC to the Caribbean, every year from 1974-1979. The itineraries varied, but the cruises were 10-12 days/each. The repeater/past passenger rate on those January cruises was likely 80%+/-. It was like a big, family-get-together-social-club year after year. We'd make reservations for next year's January cruise immediately upon disembarking. Midnight buffets in the Escoffier Grille and 2am pizza in the Montmartre Club. Hardly ever made it for breakfast.

Loved the dual bathroom arrangements, even in the "cheap" cabins: one room with the toilet & a sink; the other room with the shower/tub & a sink. A very practical arrangement that I believe Disney copied for their ships.

The Oceanic was the first ship ever with the sliding "Magrodome" glass roof over the swimming pools. Virtually every cruise ship thereafter copied this feature. The roof was closed for the first couple of days to/from NYC until the ship was in warmer Caribbean waters.

There was one particular captain that used to race the ship at nearly top speed, 26+ knots as soon as we sailed from the last Caribbean port. He wanted to make sure that our return to NYC was not delayed by any inclement winter weather along the US East Coast. There rarely was inclement weather, and that resulted in one, nice warm day at 26+ knots, then 1-2 days steaming very s....l....o...w...l...y off the coast of North Carolina and Virginia in 30-40 degree temps on the final approach back to NYC. 

Good memories. The Oceanic set the standard for a whole generation of cruise ships.

Rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marco said:

We were really BIG  Home lines and particularly "Oceanic" fans, as were so many of our freinds and family and we'd end up at someone's bon voyage party 2 or 3 times a season.  In the summer, the ship would be only going on a 7 day cruise, but there were probably 5 visitors for every passenger, and you'd think they were leaving on a world cruise..  I remember some  bon voyage parties where there were at least 25 or so of us seeing a couple off for the week. Coolers, pizzas, sandwich trays, cookie trays...on and on and on.  Flowers, bottles, and fruit baskets being delivered to cabins. On the longer winter cruises, wardrobes would be delivered for those who lived in the greater NYC area so you'd never have to unpack...that wardrobe was your closet.  For the longer winter cruises, you'd need a lot more, as every evening was at least semi-formal and God forbid....you should wear the same outfit twice!  The bands on deck, the streamers and confetti flying and the tugs and the ship tooting back and forth as the ship backed out of the berth.

Those bon voyage parties were epic!  It was 48 years ago today that we sailed from Boston on a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean on the Amerikanis.  The cabin parties were out of bounds.  One man from South Boston passed out on a sofa and ended up making the entire cruise!  Two suitcases per person was the order of the day.  We would wear a different outfit to dinner each evening.  Jackets, ties and tuxes for the men and dresses and gowns for the women.  We had two great waiters at our table and two super bar stewards in the main lounge.  The service was fantastic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on Norway in 1996.  A great cruise on a great ship!

One sea day, as DH was standing at the rail, he realized that the lady standing next to him was Lorene Yarnell.  We had several conversations with her; a truly lovely person.  And boy could she dance!

Two levels of Promenade Decks made for lots of good walk time, although crossing at the front was always against a strong wind.

Riding the tender into a port, looking up at the vast hull never ceased to amaze.

After attending ballroom dance classes, we were recruited to be the Foxtrot Couple at the dance party.  Live orchestra for all dancing, or course.

I think the only negative related to the cruise (even our very tiny cabin was not too bad) was the fact that at disembarkation, we walked into the terminal to find that all 4,000+ pieces of baggage were in one big pile.  No color coding, no order.  Finding ours took A While.

We were onboard Norway in 1993 for a fantastic cruise.  We loved the changes that had been made since she was the SS France.  We had one of the newer Sky Suites with floor to ceiling glass.  NCL knew how to treat the suite pax.  We got a call from room service as soon as we entered our cabin.  The man on the phone told us we could order anything we wanted anytime.  Every afternoon around 3:00 there would be a delivery of giant shrimp cocktails...all you had to do was call.  We had concierge service and they sent out written invitations to our cabin cocktail party before dinner.  Room service supplied the ice, glasses and hors d’ouevres.  I supplied the Champagne.  To top all of this off we were upgraded to First Class for the flight down to Miami and the return flight to Boston!  

I got to spend the week with John Maxtone Graham and his wife, Mary.  JMG was the greatest ocean liner historian, author and lecturer.  

The Norway was a class act back in the day.  

Ryndam:  I'm sure were were on some of the same sailings as we also booked the "Oceanic's" 1st January sailing from '77 to '81. All meals in the dining room, 2 sittings other than "open" breakfast and lunches when in port. Midnight buffets that were sooo over the top.  Jacket and tie for me after 6PM in all public rooms AND ENFORCED!  No casino until maybe 1979 or 80, and then it was only 6 or 8 slot machines, no tables.  l And (what a concept) renting deck chairs!

• Like 1