NEW ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR FRENCH POLYNESIA

Barrycat

Good news and I think it was inevitable. This will make things much easier and predictable. I just got an email from Air Tahiti Nui Stating the following:

Air Tahiti Nui News Update

Simplified Entry to French Polynesia with Air Tahiti Nui:

Covid-19 test requirements have been simplified with the acceptance of the rapid Molecular RT-PRC test. These tests do not require a laboratory and maybe be processed in a medical facility in as little as one hour! The key points are that test must be a Molecular RT-PCR and not an antibody, antigen or serology (blood) test.

"Proof of a negative Covid-19 test (RT-PCR or PCR) molecular laboratory or rapid test, such as the Abbott ID Now Molecular test carried out within three days prior to their international air departure (e.g. if the flight departs on a Monday at 11pm, the passenger needs to take the test the preceding Friday). Antigen and antibody tests not accepted.

The results of this test must be negative and the medical document confirming this, and clearly indicating the type of test taken, issued by a Doctor, Hospital or Medical Clinic must be presented to airline staff upon check-in prior to boarding the flight to French Polynesia."

For more information on French Polynesia entry requirements and Air Tahiti Nui's flight schedule, please visit the following webpage: https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/french-polynesia-entry-requirements-air-tahiti-nui-flight-schedule-0

• Like 1

To get the test done at the Southern California location cited in Air Tahiti Nui's website is $200 per person-and that's if you have insurance. Wow! I sure hope there are better testing capabilities by the time I leave for Tahiti in March. Actually, I'm sure there will be quicker and easier ways to get tested. I really feel for the people who have to worry about this now. 

Hopefully by the time you cruise international air travel will have picked up for all air carriers. And that will mean other countries will probably require a COVID test too. Not sure but some may be requiring the PCR test now. (Emirates does the rapid antigen which is unacceptable to ATN). But by the time you cruise there may be in airport COVID testing like United is doing in SFO.

Edit**** Just read on Tripadvisor that someone did their testing where ATN recommends, Reliant Urgent Care very close to LAX. Results in less than 24 hours 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

22 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

What is United charging for their RT-PCR test?

United is not offering a test. UA has no information about testing if you are on one of their flights. Since they are not flying to PPT yet no one knows how UA is handling this testing requirement. My guess is you have to show proof of the test when you board your first flight if it is a connection to the SFO-PPT flight.

You would need to get tested in your hometown.

ATN has been the only airline that I am aware of that has so far published and updated the tests and results required prior to boarding flights to Tahiti. Since ALL of their flights eventually end up in Tahiti, which is their base, they have a very strong incentive to keep the details of entry requirements current and complete. 
Consequently I’m assuming that ATN policy is a reflection of French Polynesia policy.
Tahiti is not a priority for UA, AF, or ANZ and so they are not rushing to comfort their passengers with the information they need to board a plane for Tahiti. So far ATN has supplied specific and detailed information about requirements and updated them as they change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

What is United charging for their RT-PCR test?

I'm getting my United COVID testing info from agents at their call center. Out of 3 calls to United, 2 of 3 agents told me the very same.....arrive 5 hours prior to your United flights check bags and you'll be directed to where testing is done in the airport. Results available in 2 hours. This is NOT official, there is nothing in print. But we should start getting feedback from United Tahiti passengers after next Tuesday 8/4 when the first United flights leave SFO.

As Barrycat says Tahiti is not a priority for United so I expect the testing process, regardless of how easy United makes it sound, will be a mess for a few weeks while things get sorted out. But I believe United will fix it. My cruise is not until 4/29/21 but I'm arriving in SFO a day before my flight leaves on 4/27. I've already checked with an urgent care near SFO as a backup. $160, 8 hour turn around for the PRC test.

I can't stand United- think they are the worst. I had to beg husband to fly them and he only agreed because we paid $400 RT. I'm trusting the airline I detest, but they need us and I believe they'll eventually step up to bat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigedwin said:

I will be listening to a webinar on Tuesday with United presenting regarding Tahiti.
Once we hear I will come here and report...

That would be very nice.  Thanks in advance.😎

On 8/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, Petoonya said:

@bigedwin

Thanks. Will be anxiously awaiting your findings.

Hello

Just listened to United presentation. Hosted By Tahiti Tourism.

First Tahiti tourism updated  PG Issue.

They reported the Health Protocol is Working.

They consider the PG incident as a positive outcome of the Plan.

Testing procedure has been strengthened by adding the Testing on the day of boarding.

UNITED

They Will start tonight with the first flight to Tahiti.

The first flight back will return on August 5th.

Mask Will be required in airport and in Airplane.

Crew will have additional mask for passengers that need a replacement.

Highlighted their Clean Plus initiative in partnership with Clorox. 

Information on the program is their website.

Food services will be provided in sealed packages.

No blankets or pillows will be provided in any class of service.

International departure city will not check documents, The Documents will be checked in SAN FRANCISCO.

Inquired about the Testing in San Francisco by United,

They totally Ignored the question............

They reinstated that they have updated their website with the latest information.

Sent in the Question to Sandy Everett United Leisure Sales Representative to see if she can provide an answer.

It feels to me that they are going to follow Air Tahiti Nui Process of requiring testing 3 days prior to international portion of the flight.

But today is the first day the flight departs in about 2 hours so we should start seeing some reports on how the real experience went.....

• Like 1

@bigedwin

Thanks so much for posting this. Very helpful. So much for United agents saying testing will be provided in the terminal! Unless you hear otherwise guess we can plan on getting our testing done 72 hours prior. And I guess on arrival and on the 4th day. Sure be wonderful if you get back an encouraging reply from the UA leisure travel person about in terminal testing......

Here's a new wrinkle in going to French Polynesia:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/422805/tahiti-flight-attendant-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Can you imagine the massive contact tracing for every one who was on a ATN flight that the attendant work over the last 2 weeks? I suspect FP will soon be closing their doors again, sending everyone there now home, taking a breather, and trying again in a few months.

@bigedwin
Thanks so much for posting this. Very helpful. So much for United agents saying testing will be provided in the terminal! Unless you hear otherwise guess we can plan on getting our testing done 72 hours prior. And I guess on arrival and on the 4th day. Sure be wonderful if you get back an encouraging reply from the UA leisure travel person about in terminal testing......

Reply from UNITED
NOT testing will be done in SFO
“Hi Edwin – sorry but that is incorrect. We are not conducting any COVID testing at SFO. Our agents will only be reviewing passengers documents before they can board.

Thanks for the question.”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

23 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Don't know how the United agents I spoke with pulled that one out of their hats.

Would have been nice though......thanks for asking that question specifically.

I hate to say told ya so, Nancy. Your hated airline is not letting you down.

@bigedwin

Or anyone else who might know.

Was told that Stanford is the place to have the COVID PCR test done for those leaving from SFO. Last week some people were getting tests back directly online in as early as 23 hours.

But when I called Stanford I was told it would take at least 72 hours and results go only to my provider. My flight is out on a Tuesday, so I'd need swab done on a Sat/Sun. And person I spoke with wouldn't even tell me when tests were done unless I made an appt!

I've called every lab in my state. Not one has weekend hours or results in 72 hours or less.

No one knows what the testing requirements will be by next spring or what will be available so I'm not stressing yet, but for people traveling in November/December.....what are you doing?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, minidonuts85 said:

Deb- thank you soooo much. The only problem is that it is only open M-F 9a-5p and I'm on that United flight at 1:30 on Tuesday. But the website says they have on-call hours. I suppose we could really risk it and have done 9a on that Monday day before. I just emailed them about possibilities and will report back.

@minidonuts85

Deb, I found out that the Stanford location in Palo Alto is probably a better deal. Equidistant to San Mateo and they will bill insurance. Only scheduling until Nov of this year. The number is 650-736-5210. They are not open on Sundays. But their Sat times would work for us and that Tuesday United flight. Open Sat 8-4:30.