The Daily for Saturday Aug 1, 2020

richwmn

today is National Girlfriends Day, National Mahjong Day, and National Mountain Climbing Day

Enzymes are things invented by biologists that explain things which otherwise require harder thinking.
        -- Jerome Lettvin

Meal suggestion for today - Brown Sugar-Glazed Salmon

Wine of the day - Tensley Syrah Santa Barbara County Colson Canyon Vineyard vintage 2016

At Sea Indian
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Kochi eta 8/7
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/15

Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam

Singapore Area
Eurodam
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam
Westerdam is listed as International Waters but appears to be moving,
maybe to Durban along with Volendam

Limassol
Amsterdam
Maasdam
Rotterdam
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0801Sing.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the report.  Nice selection of days.  I don't eat seafood so I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.  The quote reminds about how much we don't know about science and learn as we go.  I noticed on Marine Traffic that the Rotterdam is bunkering.  I wonder if she's going to be moving soon.  I suspect they're loading the minimum fuel needed to get to Rotterdam.

Today's care list:

Allen for test results.

Sharon's in-laws for continued improvement

AndiLand grieving for Clementine

Fatcat04's MIL for finding the strength to ask for help

Florida, dealing with the doubble whammy of storm and Covid

and Krazy Kruizers

Roy

• Like 6

Good morning.

It's a beautiful sunny morning here, it's going to be a hot day again.

I love the Daily Report, a great way to start the day.

It's Emancipation Day here in Ontario.  It recognizes the Slavery Abolition Act that came into effect on August 1, 1833 throughout the Commonwealth.

The dinner suggestion sounds great, but I don't have any salmon, so we'll be grilling a steak on the BBQ.  I'll research the wine.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the pictures Roy.

Sending prayers to everyone on the Care List.

Hope August is a good month.

Stay safe.  Stay healthy.

• Like 6

Good morning Rich. I see you were up early as always. Thank you for the Daily.

Good morning Roy and thank you for the care and prayer list, and pictures. I have no ides where the picture is from, I'll study it and make my guesses.

To my sisters Ann and Denise: National Girlfriends Day is everyday! Love you!

Ann thinking of you and your state getting wet and wild. Take care my friend.

So, I am a Mahjongg nut. I love playing. My group stopped when we got home from our cruise in March due to covid, and we have missed the game so much. There are many players here as well, but can't play yet. Haven't even gotten to see any of the 6 clubhouses because they were already closed when we moved here. My sister plays virtual with 3 girlfriends with the face time app. It's kinda funny. They even serve cocktails..

Please stay safe, wear your mask. Sending everyone blessings for a great weekend!

image.jpeg.f7e09c7c5ee7dc728691b85bf5354cce.jpeg

50 Best Friend Quotes To Share With Your BFF & Show How Much You ...

Wall-climbing Mountain Goats | funny jokes-pictures

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

t's Emancipation Day here in Ontario.  It recognizes the Slavery Abolition Act that came into effect on August 1, 1833 throughout the Commonwealth.

Thank you especially for that.

Roy

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the report.  Nice selection of days.  I don't eat seafood so I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.  The quote reminds about how much we don't know about science and learn as we go.  I noticed on Marine Traffic that the Rotterdam is bunkering.  I wonder if she's going to be moving soon.  I suspect they're loading the minimum fuel needed to get to Rotterdam.

Today's care list:

Allen for test results.

Sharon's in-laws for continued improvement

AndiLand grieving for Clementine

Fatcat04's MIL for finding the strength to ask for help

Florida, dealing with the doubble whammy of storm and Covid

and Krazy Kruizers

Roy

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all.

@rafinmd could you add Ms VMax to the care list.  She is halfway through chemo for breast cancer. Thankyou!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Even though we just sold a house, we are looking at properties this morning. We like our condo, but the constraints of condo life are starting to get to us. A small single family bungalow would probably suit us better. 

These are "Lemon Lily" daylilies at our place on Deer Bay Lake (aka Lower Buckhorn), Ontario. The flowers are very fragrant and were one of my mom's favorites -

image.thumb.png.14420ed5c72b30a49f65aad0a6d6a919.png

View from the deck at our Kawartha Lakes place. We sure are missing it this summer!

image.thumb.png.443070842918bc17dbbd89bc5c337633.png

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters/friends. This morning is gorgeous here! Still not sure what will happen here with Isaias. It is so weak that its interaction with land will play a major factor in its track! 

I will celebrate Girlfriends’ Day & toast to Ontario’s Emancipation Day! I think I have a couple salmon burgers in the freezer, so they will have to do.  The wine is well rated and a price within my budget - barely. And it is described as rich and intense, and they suggest pairing it with lamb.

Prayers going out to KK, Allen & Joy, Mrs VMax, Sharon’s SIL and fatcato4 & her husband who carry the burden of helping his Mom make a decision that balances safety & independence. 

Stay well everyone!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Even though we just sold a house, we are looking at properties this morning. We like our condo, but the constraints of condo life are starting to get to us. A small single family bungalow would probably suit us better. 

These are "Lemon Lily" daylilies at our place on Deer Bay Lake (aka Lower Buckhorn), Ontario. The flowers are very fragrant and were one of my mom's favorites -

image.thumb.png.14420ed5c72b30a49f65aad0a6d6a919.png

View from the deck at our Kawartha Lakes place. We sure are missing it this summer!

image.thumb.png.443070842918bc17dbbd89bc5c337633.png

Beautiful pictures! Thank you!

• Like 1

Good morning dailyites.  Left my girlfriends in Ohio when we moved to Florida.  Love facetime to keep together.  Tried to learn Mahjong but the group fell apart before I grasped it.  Climbed mountains using paths when I was younger.  Prayers for those in need and for our State with the hurricane (?) coming.  Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 3

Good morning to the regulars on this topic.  Even though I've never cruised on HAL, I love looking at the cheerful and sweet messages on this board.  I stumbled on a prayer that I now say every day, and I want to share it with you kind folks:

Whenever I am downcast, O Lord, help me to remember the people I have enjoyed and loved. 

I hope I neither forget them when they are gone, nor take them for granted while they are alive. 

Those who have meant so much to me, may I mean increasingly more to them. 

Bind us together, O Lord, in such a way that our lives may share the glory and the pain that comes to each of us,

and grant that as I walk in the strength of the ones who are stronger than I,

I may also suffer for the sake of the ones who are weaker than I.

Cindy

• Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm grateful for the girlfriends I have (I had a boy friend for about 35 years; we knew we could count on each other in times of need, but sadly, he passed), and cherish the friendships and memories made over the years.  I've played Mahjong on my iPad, but never a "real" game - the computer one is just matching tiles, and I'm pretty sure the live game is more about strategy.  As far as mountains go, I love seeing them while on vacation, but living on the "frozen tundra", there aren't many close by to climb.  LOL

We have a long weekend (Saskatchewan Day, or just a reason for a long weekend for us in good weather), so I'm pretty sure we'll be grilling something, accompanied by salads for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them today, and even for those who don't think they do.  Happy August everyone, let's make the best of it!  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂 🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

Good morning to the regulars on this topic.  Even though I've never cruised on HAL, I love looking at the cheerful and sweet messages on this board.  I stumbled on a prayer that I now say every day, and I want to share it with you kind folks:

Whenever I am downcast, O Lord, help me to remember the people I have enjoyed and loved. 

I hope I neither forget them when they are gone, nor take them for granted while they are alive. 

Bind us together, O Lord, in such a way that our lives may share the glory and the pain that comes to each of us,

Cindy

Lovely prayer.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@rafinmd could you add Ms VMax to the care list.  She is halfway through chemo for breast cancer. Thankyou!

Earlier you had mentioned she was scheduled for chemo on another thread, so I included her on my care list. Thanks for the update. Hope all is going well.

Hoping for the best for all who need caring thoughts.

• Like 5

Good morning all!

@richwmn you must have read our minds. We are having salmon that’s brined in brown sugar for dinner tonight 😊

We finally get to move back into the main part of our house today. The floors are finished. It’s been quite a ride the last few months. We’ve been under constant remodel since the end of March and it was made more difficult to find contractors due to the pandemic. Now, 4 months later, we have a brand new kitchen and new flooring throughout the whole house. We are extremely grateful to have had the time and money to get all of this done. 

Thanks for all the great pictures. I love seeing where everyone has been. Can’t wait to get back out there. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

Cindy

Welcome, Cindy.  What a lovely way to introduce yourself to everyone. 

• Like 5

Good morning all and thanks to Rich for maintaining this thread for us all to enjoy.  I can for sure celebrate girlfriends day but not the other two.  I have sat and watched Mahjong  being played but that did not entice me to learn.    I am still thinking about the quote of the day.   Thinking of those who are not well and sending best wishes to all.  Happy Saturday!

DH was quick to capture the feeding.  We have a smoke bush in the garden, it's pretty until the “smoke” goes with the breeze and lands in the pool.  The chair is a memento from my mom's garden.

F9007C47-4BB8-4667-B365-51C6566BAA94.jpeg

94A863C4-708B-49AE-9ADA-DD64FAF765CA.jpeg

50B93AD7-92EF-4297-9299-B71D8C773471.jpeg

0C1AFB83-B24A-4A8F-853E-830AC6CA6B7B.jpeg

FB8AD43D-9902-46C4-B86C-B86267C79300.jpeg

Edited by gigianne
Add description of the photos
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I haven't read all the posts yet so don't know if this has been answered yet, but I think Roy's photo was taken in Christchurch, New Zealand.  Am I right?

image.jpeg.3266c4f82bbc3a22481b3556bc89dc48.jpeg

I think you may be right.  New Zealand was my first guess and CC is  about an hour from the port.  We have only been there once and it was after an earthquake, how sad to see the destruction.  

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all.

With sadness I will do that.  Also, guesses are right on NZ.  At Panera on IPAD now but will add background when I get home.

Roy 

• Like 1