Looks like Ocean Cay will take a Direct Hit

BoundForSea

While we are very focused on virus and cancelations and FCCs, just wanted to share for those not in the area that Hurricane Isaias will pass very close to Ocean Cay and the Bimini chain as a Category I. Not a huge deal but just sharing for our fellow MSC fans. 

Stay safe my friends. 

• Like 2

Just saw the latest projected track of Hurricane Isaias and it looks like Ocean Cay is in the path.  When we were on Ocean Cay a few of us talked about the vulnerability of the near flat island to a hurricane or bad tropical storm.  I guess we will all soon know how well the island does with a Cat 1.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just saw the latest projected track of Hurricane Isaias and it looks like Ocean Cay is in the path.  When we were on Ocean Cay a few of us talked about the vulnerability of the near flat island to a hurricane or bad tropical storm.  I guess we will all soon know how well the island does with a Cat 1.

Hank

I thought about that possibility as well.  Those recently planted palm trees and other vegetation has not had sufficient time to develop a root system to keep them in place.  The buildings looked sturdy enough to me to withstand a Force One Hurricane; maybe stronger.  But, the landscaping?  

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Your "link" does not link to anything.

Sorry,  I blew it....   Anyway it was a video from OC during the worst showing wind and rain.

there were additional picture from later on, showing everything calm and good.

They are on the Facebook Group:   MSC Yacht Club Enthusiasts, from Lisa Moss Yates

Dennis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Sorry,  I blew it....   Anyway it was a video from OC during the worst showing wind and rain.

there were additional picture from later on, showing everything calm and good.

They are on the Facebook Group:   MSC Yacht Club Enthusiasts, from Lisa Moss Yates

Dennis

I saw the video.  Things looked fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camofwilliamsburg said:

I am hoping it is spared and remains open if all other ports do not accept passengers for 20202 cruises out of Florida ( if not cancelled). I would not mind a cruise to Ocean Cay and stay there day after day after day ...

Me too!  They can skip Nassau as far as I'm concerned.  I never get off there any more.

• Like 2

Ocean Cay was just about the only port at which we left the ship, during our two weeks last January.  We'd happily have no other ports.  However, I wonder if the Government of the Bahamas will have the final word on whether passengers may go ashore there?

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Ocean Cay was just about the only port at which we left the ship, during our two weeks last January

When I was on the Meraviglia in January, Ocean Cay was the only port when I left the ship.

Considered doing so at one port because I had never been there.  But, my gosh, the length of the walk from the ship to the shore!  I decided I didn't want to visit them that badly.  

Edited by rkacruiser