The Daily for Sunday Aug 2, 2020

richwmn

today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day, Friendship Day, and International Forgiveness Day

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
        -- A. E. Newman

Meal suggestion for today - Layered aubergine & lentil bake

Wine of the day - Henri Bourgeois Sancerre Les Baronnes vintage 2017

At Sea Indian
Eurodam destination Kochi eta 8/7
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Kochi eta 8/7
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/15

Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam

Singapore Area
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam
Westerdam is listed as International Waters but appears to be moving,
maybe to Durban along with Volendam

Limassol
Amsterdam
Maasdam
Rotterdam
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0802Sing.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily Report.

I'd love an ice cream sandwich, but we're out.  So I'll put it on my grocery list.

Friendship Day should be every day.  So should Forgiveness.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion and check out the wine.

Thanks for the maps and the ship locations.

It's raining here.  Hooray!🙂

Hope you have  a wonderful day.

Stay safe.  Stay healthy.

• Like 7

Please Forgive Me GIFs | Tenor

Good morning Rich, thank you for the Daily. Wow! Ice cream, friends and forgiveness. A great day for celebration!

@cat shepard how are you and Bindi? Is Bindi hiding in the closet? Poor babies going through storms..

Hi sweet sis Denise! How did dinner turn out? We were full from lunch, so chose the lobster tails and made them into an appetizer for dinner.

I love Sancerre wine. Went to many wine caves throughout France. Love French wine. We biked through the vineyards in Beaune and fell in love with the places we stayed. When will we get to safely go back is the big question.

Everyone have a safe day. Wear your mask. Thank God for your blessings. Forgive and ask for forgiveness. If you feel like you can't forgive and forget, pick one..

• Like 10

Thank you for the daily.  I love all the days and the quote.  I'll pass on the dinner suggestion but will have an ice cream sandwich tonight.  Rotterdam seems to have left Cyprus with a current destination or waypoint of Gibralter.

Today's care list:

Allen

Sharon's in-laws

AndiLand.  I am guessing a week is a fair grieving period for Clemenine

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs. Vmax

Those in the path of Isaias

Those affected by wildfires anywhere in USA and Canada

Safe return of our Astronauts

Dismomx5 for weather for outdoor services (temp looks good but chance of rain)

and Krazy Kruizers

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Astronauts
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a sunrise photo for August 2 so I'm moving ahead a few days.  In 2014 my brother and his SO joined me for an Alaska cruise on the Radiance of the Seas.  They returned home from Seward while I spent a couple of days there before returning to Vancouver on the Statendam (my only time on her),  We embarked August 8 in Vancouver and I took an early morning walk to Canada Place to watch the ships come in and the sunrise.

dawn0808.jpg

I post also on the Crystal forum on "The Bistro", a type of community forum there.  They haven't yet identified the Cardboard Cathedral so I will hold off a bit on posting a new "where are we".

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@cat shepard how are you and Bindi? Is Bindi hiding in the closet? Poor babies going through storms..

Morning Joy.  It is a lovely, sunny morning here. Rain expected to start this afternoon. Tropical storm conditions expected between 8 p.m. tonight & 8 a.m. tomorrow - if the storm stays organized.  Lots of rain expected here, even if the wind lessens.

I suspect my worst problem will be finding a break in the rain bands, so I can get Bindi out. She HATES getting wet.  

I might lose my cable & cell service depending on storm conditions, so if you do not hear from me tomorrow morning - don’t worry. ❤️

• Like 6

Good Morning and thanks for the update. 
An ice cream sandwich sounds great for later today.

We had severe thunderstorms overnight, flash flood warnings for parts of the area. 
Unfortunately we had had to cancel our outdoor church service as they still want more rain . Hopefully the weather will be better in  2 weeks for the next one.

Stay safe and keep cool. Prayers for all on our list.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I might lose my cable & cell service depending on storm conditions, so if you do not hear from me tomorrow morning - don’t worry. ❤️

OK, you two take care. I'm keeping an eye on your area and our other friends too. Haven't heard from them, so I'm sure they are in their motor home, the "We-Go"  somewhere.

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

Friendship and Forgiveness - I’ll happily celebrate that every day 🙂. No ice cream sandwiches in the house 😞 but it would be yummy.  

The wine sounds absolutely scrumptious and although DH would love the lentils, I’ll pass thanks.

@1ANGELCAT sorry about your storms and cancellation of your outdoor service.

@Seasick Sailor love your kitty gif begging for forgiveness.

@rafinmd great pic!  Wow on no one on the Crystal board identifying your picture yet.

@cat shepard good luck with Bindi and the rain.  Yikes on the power.  Hope it holds and you can all be safe.  

Just one garden pic today - Bear’s Breech.  It’s at the back of my garden as it is over 6’ tall when it is in full bloom.  Only one plant grows taller than it.   The blooms have begun to open:

A59DB9B6-CD7C-443E-8012-A9574DF1CD77.thumb.jpeg.84e2637d445c6aa3197da4e578bebb6c.jpeg

Prayers to all on our Care list.  Hoping everyone in Mother Nature’s angry path escape with little damage.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What a great bunch of days all in one - forgive a friend and enjoy an ice cream sandwich together!   @Seasick Sailor  I love your quote to pick one, good advice. 

I have a lot of time on my hands right now because in the middle of my mask sewing yesterday, I accidentally ran the needle over the metal nose piece and broke a piece holding the needle.   I took the machine to a repair shop, but with the long weekend, they won't even get to look at it until Tuesday, and if it needs a part they don't have . . .   grrr.  It looks like I'll now have time to help DH build a storage shed in the back yard - more bonding time.  LOL

It's a little cooler here today, but we grilled up a bunch of burgers yesterday, so that's what will be on our menu tonight with side salads.  And wine.   Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who think they don't.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Hope all are well.

Today’s wine sounds lovely. Great price and a crisp, but fruity taste.  The Loire Valley produces some amazing wines.  I just had eggplant the other evening, so I will have to check out the freezer to see what options I have. 

Roy thank you for the care list! Prayers going out to those in need.  Off to get Bindi’s walk of the day in before the rain arrives. 

Stay well everyone.

• Like 7

From our November, 2002 (US Thanksgiving) cruise on the Zaandam.

I am pretty sure this is sunrise as we approached Sint Maarten. It is probably the only sunrise picture in my files! -

image.thumb.png.8aa61ab7a39c7599d1bbcd471dcd22e9.png

One of many beautiful beaches on Saint Johns, USVI -

image.thumb.png.4b00b4655cfc979fd09734fa5d9de023.png

Saint Thomas sail-away sunset - 

image.thumb.png.11a8a2cdb4790700c7c06bff233ffb2e.png

• Like 11

Good morning. Sunny but windy this morning. Expect rain around noon. We are in the center of the state so should be fine. Love the quotes and really love ice cream sandwiches. 

Prayers for all on our list. Have a blessed Sunday everyone. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just one garden pic today - Bear’s Breech.  It’s at the back of my garden as it is over 6’ tall when it is in full bloom.  Only one plant grows taller than it.   The blooms have begun to open:

A59DB9B6-CD7C-443E-8012-A9574DF1CD77.thumb.jpeg.84e2637d445c6aa3197da4e578bebb6c.jpeg

If it is the yellow flowers, it looks a bit like Ligularia to me. Regardless, the are lovely!

• Like 3

@kazu Jacqui I love the Bear's Breeches picture. I Googled it and think I would like one in our garden. The description shows it can be invasive to other plants? Have you found that? 

Also, the plant I saw has long pointy edged foliage. There are several varieties?

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

Just now, Overhead Fred said:

If it is the yellow flowers, it looks a bit like Ligularia to me. Regardless, the are lovely!

Thanks - It does look a lot like lugularia.  Ligularia has different flowers though and the leaves are a bit different.   The plants are quite similar IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu Jacqui I love the Bear's Breeches picture. I Googled it and think I would like one in our garden. The description shows it can be invasive to other plants? Have you found that? 

Also, the plant I saw has long pointy edged foliage. There are several varieties?

I haven’t found mine to be invasive at all but my garden has a lot of shade where it is.  (I kind of wish it would spread a bit 😉 ).  

There are many varieties.  If you like it and are concerned about invasive ness, you could consider ligularia (the one called The Rocket).  You might have seen @Overhead Fred mention it looks like one?  It is very similar to my variety and it is not invasive to the best of my knowledge.  Sadly, I don’t remember the specific variety mine is to steer you in the right direction.

Back when I was starting my garden I went to a centre I trusted and the owner recommended this variety due to my soil (very acid) and the shade from the trees.  Ironically, years later, I met his wife when I went to see a litter of poodle puppies and came home with Miko 😉 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

I haven’t found mine to be invasive at all but my garden has a lot of shade where it is.  (I kind of wish it would spread a bit 😉 ).  

There are many varieties.  If you like it and are concerned about invasive ness, you could consider ligularia (the one called The Rocket).  You might have seen @Overhead Fred mention it looks like one?  It is very similar to my variety and it is not invasive to the best of my knowledge.  Sadly, I don’t remember the specific variety mine is to steer you in the right direction.

Back when I was starting my garden I went to a centre I trusted and the owner recommended this variety due to my soil (very acid) and the shade from the trees.  Ironically, years later, I met his wife when I went to see a litter of poodle puppies and came home with Miko 😉 

Sorry Jacqui, I just had to post about our refund before I read your post. I am going to try another nursery, although the one closest to us has a terrific variety, the staff do not speak English and they refer me to the little stick in the pot. Then I have to stand there and Google it..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My jokes are "real", says Jay Bhanushali - PTI feed News

NEWS FLASH!!!

We just received our refund from our 3-21-2020 4 week cruise!  Allen says since we didn't draw any interest for the 8 months HAL had our $20,000+ that they may give us a bottle of champagne on our next cruise. What do ya'll think 🤭

YAY 😄. They’d have to give out an awful lot of bottles of champagne to a lot of people 😉 

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sorry Jacqui, I just had to post about our refund before I read your post. I am going to try another nursery, although the one closest to us has a terrific variety, the staff do not speak English and they refer me to the little stick in the pot. Then I have to stand there and Google it..

Hey refunds are important 😄. I don’t blame you a bit.

I think you are wise to try another nursery.  If you can find someone who knows your micro climates and soil and make solid recommendations, it’s really helpful when you are in a new area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to you Joy and Allen for that refund.  They sure weren't in any hurry to part with that much money, right?  

Also I recognize the beach in St. John; it is Trunk Bay and I remember snorkeling there in 2006 with DH and our daughter who we brought along on a cruise with us.  Beautiful!

• Like 3