"Peace of Mind" Cancellation Policies

Can anyone enlighten me as to what various cruise lines are currently offering in terms of refunds if you change your mind and want to cancel a booking during this period of uncertainty. 

RCI seem to be offering the ability to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing and receive a full refund in the form of a FCC. At this stage this is valid for bookings made by the end of September 2020 for sailings until the end of April 2022. FCC valid for 12 months after the date you cancel or until the end of 2021, whichever is later. 

Carnival does not appear to be so generous. Cancel up to 8 weeks out and lose your deposit. Cancel a month before sailaway and you forfeit half the fare. Up until a fortnight before you go you'll lose 75% and you get nothing back if it’s less than 14 days before the cruise. And some special fares don’t have any refund available at all! 

Can someone please confirm that I’m reading this right?

It would be interesting to know what other cruise lines are offering. 

Edited by Sparky74
Punctuation.

3 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to what various cruise lines are currently offering in terms of refunds if you change your mind and want to cancel a booking during this period of uncertainty. 

RCI seem to be offering the ability to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing and receive a full refund in the form of a FCC. At this stage this is valid for bookings made by the end of September 2020 for sailings until the end of April 2022. FCC valid for 12 months after the date you cancel or until the end of 2021, whichever is later. 

Carnival does not appear to be so generous. Cancel up to 8 weeks out and lose your deposit. Cancel a month before sailaway and you forfeit half the fare. Up until a fortnight before you go you'll lose 75% and you get nothing back if it’s less than 14 days before the cruise. And some special fares don’t have any refund available at all! 

Can someone please confirm that I’m reading this right?

It would be interesting to know what other cruise lines are offering. 

I don't think anyone can give words of wisdom.

I personally don't think cruise companies will be in business by the time this is over.

The ships will survive but the companies won't.

Dont book anything.

42 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don't think anyone can give words of wisdom.

I personally don't think cruise companies will be in business by the time this is over.

The ships will survive but the companies won't.

Dont book anything.

Best to wait and be prepared for the coming recession.

Could be in for a wild ride . 

Qantas allowed refunds by 30/10/20 for new bookings.  So when NT opened its borders, I booked flights to NT.  Later NT closed its borders to some SEQld. regions, at short notice, and I was able to cancel my booking, at no charge.  

If cruise lines offered full cash refunds, within a certain period, I'm sure they would attract  passengers.  The days of risk being all one sided are over!

Yes, "peace of mind" is a marketing slogan as much as "Modern Luxury" is. 

Certainly don't have peace of mind, especially with how long they take to give refunds, and how they are still requiring payment for cruises unlikely to sail.