Where does Viking dock in Bergen?

Australia08

I have a Northern Lights cruise booked for next year (if it goes) and was wondering where Viking ships tend to dock?  I've been in Bergen on other cruise lines - once docking about a mile or so from city center (large ship) and once right at the end of the old town harbor (small ship).  Just wondering before I look into booking a room for overnight since I want to stay an extra day after disembarking.

Right at the Bryggen waterfront.  Its a 5 minute walk from the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel or Thon Hotel Orion.  The Thon is the closest and we chose to stay there on our own pre cruise because it was quieter then the Radisson Blu where Viking puts up guests.  The location is fantastic.

• Like 2

USUALLY,  Viking docks here:

image.png.d96e0d7974122eb6b71aaa8ca4f2e677.png

But it has been known to dock at other places.

Here is a link to the Port of Bergen cruise call schedule: https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/

Two hotels in suitcase dragging distance of the dock are a Thon Hotel and a Radisson. Unfettered it takes about 15 minutes to walk from the ship to the Hanseatic Museum. Also, the Airport Flybussen has a stop on the Bryggen, not far from either hotel, from what I have been able to figure out on a map. Was hoping to see for myself this past June, but had a small change of plans and never got to Bergen.

Edited by Peregrina651

If the ship docks in its normal location, as per the comments above, another hotel choice to consider is the Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz.  It's just a little farther away from the dock than the Radisson or the Thon Orion, but still within easy walking distance, even dragging suitcases.  We stayed there before departing on our "In the Wake of the Vikings" transatlantic in September 2018, self-booked, because we got an excellent price on the room, including dinner the night before and breakfast the morning of check-out.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dauntless said:

Flybussen last stop was at the Raddison from the airport.  You can use a card for payment.

Okay, there is an excuse for staying at the Radisson. Not only a short walk to the bus, but if your flight is later in the day, you can store your luggage at the hotel while you wander about a bit.

Link for Flybusssen: https://www.flybussen.no/billett/#/reise/fra/bergen-flyplass/bgo

18 hours ago, Australia08 said:

I have a Northern Lights cruise booked for next year (if it goes) and was wondering where Viking ships tend to dock?  I've been in Bergen on other cruise lines - once docking about a mile or so from city center (large ship) and once right at the end of the old town harbor (small ship).  Just wondering before I look into booking a room for overnight since I want to stay an extra day after disembarking.

BUT, if you aren't heading to the airport but are planning on taking the train to Oslo (the ride is said to be magnificent) then maybe you want a hotel that is closer to the train station. If, you have never been to Norway, why rush to leave?

• Like 1

BUT, if you aren't heading to the airport but are planning on taking the train to Oslo (the ride is said to be magnificent) then maybe you want a hotel that is closer to the train station. If, you have never been to Norway, why rush to leave?

Grand Terminus Hotel is across the street from the train station if you are going from Bergen to Oslo by train. Very convenient and easily walkable from The ship if you don’t have too many bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Here is a link to the Port of Bergen cruise call schedule: https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/

Hmmmm...

I do not see Viking Venus on the schedule for arrival on 13/14 February 2021 for our Northern Lights cruise (starting on 2 Feb at Tilbury). Rather, it looks like that spot is being held by Viking Star. Is that possibly SOP until a ship actually enters service?

Or am I just being nervous?

[Update] Maybe I'm not just being nervous - I searched for Venus and her first Bergen port call is listed as 29 May 2021.

Edited by What was that?
More information.

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Hmmmm...

I do not see Viking Venus on the schedule for arrival on 13/14 February 2021 for our Northern Lights cruise (starting on 2 Feb at Tilbury). Rather, it looks like that spot is being held by Viking Star. Is that possibly SOP until a ship actually enters service?

Or am I just being nervous?

[Update] Maybe I'm not just being nervous - I searched for Venus and her first Bergen port call is listed as 29 May 2021.

So, it looks like your will be sailing on Viking Star, not Viking Venus.  A change of vessel is allowed under the terms of carriage*, so don't expect any recompense for the change. You should be getting some sort of notification from Viking, eventually. In the meantime, check MVJ to see if they made any changes there.

If you chose your dates because you wanted to sail on the new ship, then you should be looking at making some changes before the penalty phase begins (120 days prior to sailing) which means soon for your 1/26/21 departure. The exact dates should be spelled out in your Viking invoice.

-------------------------------------------

*Passenger Ticket Contact. http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/3-191004_PassengerTicketContract.pdf

See Paragraph 6: CARRIER’S RIGHTS AND DISCRETION.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

So, it looks like your will be sailing on Viking Star, not Viking Venus. 

That's what I was thinking. I tried Viking Chat but got nowhere: the agent responded "I've double checked my sources and your ship is Viking Venus". I'll probably contact Viking Social for a more authoritative interpretation of the situation.

Other than the potential to find ourselves boarding the oldest Viking Ocean ship, rather than the newest, our decision to board in Barcelona was predicated on being on the "maiden voyage" of Venus. I would not have considered adding the Iberian Explorer to our booking otherwise.

Of course, the feeling among our party is that these cruises are not at all likely to sail, so what am I worrying about?

16 minutes ago, What was that? said:

That's what I was thinking. I tried Viking Chat but got nowhere: the agent responded "I've double checked my sources and your ship is Viking Venus". I'll probably contact Viking Social for a more authoritative interpretation of the situation.

Other than the potential to find ourselves boarding the oldest Viking Ocean ship, rather than the newest, our decision to board in Barcelona was predicated on being on the "maiden voyage" of Venus. I would not have considered adding the Iberian Explorer to our booking otherwise.

Of course, the feeling among our party is that these cruises are not at all likely to sail, so what am I worrying about?

Yes, the website still says Venus so that is the only info that the Chat people probably have access to. But, somehow, I like the vibe coming from the Bergen harbor master.  I think Viking Social (aka, TellUs) are the people to connect with, especially if you all want to sail on the maiden.

I checked Barcelona but they are not publish a schedule of cruise calls because of Covid. When they do start publishing, http://www.portdebarcelona.cat/en/web/port-del-ciudada/cruceros

Cartagena shows nothing: https://www.puertocartagena.com/en/cruise-ship-terminal/cruise-ship-schedule

Malaga port schedule is not up to date: https://www.puertomalaga.com/en/cruise-forecast/

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, the website still says Venus so that is the only info that the Chat people probably have access to. But, somehow, I like the vibe coming from the Bergen harbor master.  I think Viking Social (aka, TellUs) are the people to connect with, especially if you all want to sail on the maiden.

I sent the query and will post if any new information is forthcoming.

Thanks for the links - those are going right into my cruise file.