Carnival Bolt - Can't wait

BlerkOne

16 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe I am too pessimistic, but I don’t know how Carnival is going to keep a roller coaster operational considering all the issues they have had with the SkyRide on Vista class ships, which is pretty simple mechanically. 

I think the roller coaster will be a revenue source - they will find a way.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe I am too pessimistic, but I don’t know how Carnival is going to keep a roller coaster operational considering all the issues they have had with the SkyRide on Vista class ships, which is pretty simple mechanically. 

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I think the roller coaster will be a revenue source - they will find a way.

Having experience in this area, most ride shutdowns are caused by guests acting inappropriately. You’ll get the occasional  mechanical failure or safety provision, of course, but ride stops, emergency stops and evacuations are generally caused by guest behavior.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out on this type of single ride vehicle.

Edited by xDisconnections

What bothers me the most about this ride is what provisions will they have for rescuing the passengers if the cars break down mid track.  If it's mechanical, it will break down.  We've all seen where roller coasters stop mid track and they have to use cherry pickers or fire trucks to get the people off of the cars.  

I'm trying to imagine the sound all day long....

However, on RCCL, when I "questioned" all the added activities and infrastructure on their ships, I excitedly found that what it did was draw the crowd AWAY from where I was.  So there was even MORE space for me. 

Just not sure that will work as well on Carnival, where they pack more people onto the ships per square footage.  And certainly not sure what a roller coaster would do on board. We shall see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

What bothers me the most about this ride is what provisions will they have for rescuing the passengers if the cars break down mid track.  If it's mechanical, it will break down.  We've all seen where roller coasters stop mid track and they have to use cherry pickers or fire trucks to get the people off of the cars.  

If it is a sea day,  they have to wait until they get to port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

If it is a sea day,  they have to wait until they get to port.

That doesn't sound quite right. What if the ship can't get to a port for several hours? There would have to be some sort of contingency plan to rescue a stuck passenger while the ship is at sea.

Just now, beachbum53 said:

That doesn't sound quite right. What if the ship can't get to a port for several hours? There would have to be some sort of contingency plan to rescue a stuck passenger while the ship is at sea.

I'm quite sure he was joking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

New technologies and ingenuity keep prosperous economies growing stronger. I applaud Carnival for their "out of the box" thinking. I am not a fan of roller coasters; however, the kids should have a blast.   

Meh.

I would prefer many of the gimmicks on the other cruise lines over this. The hourly capacity is going to be super limited on this.

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

What could go wrong? There are no moving parts related to the track itself. A car could fail - I imaging they have a spare or two and certainly have a rescue plan that could include sending a spare car around to push or pull a broken one back home.

The only noise I anticipate is the sound of Fun. The cars are electric and I imagine rubber tires.

Farfegnugen!!!

Edited by BlerkOne

56 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Meh.

I would prefer many of the gimmicks on the other cruise lines over this. The hourly capacity is going to be super limited on this.

Then maybe it's time to leave carnival and enjoy those other gimmicks.

20 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Most shutdowns are caused by electric or mechanical problems. While guest misbehavior can cause operators to stop the attraction, that is less than wind and weather on outdoor track systems. There will be a self-powered maintenance and inspection sled with rescue platforms for emergency stops in the middle of the track. As this track is but 700 feet any rescue should be accomplished within ten minutes. 

I believe the bogie rotating components will present the largest challenges to MTBF in the salt air. 

The coaster will be very safe, and will probably do 30 to 40 riders per hour. There will probably be height, weight, age, and pregnancy restrictions to keep everyone safe. An attraction like this is a promotion, and will never take in enough money through the turnstile to be profitable. It does look like a lot of fun.