URGENT - Change Passwords and Monitor Credit Cards

ann141

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Any chance of my Raquel Welch poster. I have secreted a teaspoon about my person,  and am anxious to start digging.

I can't help you there, however just like all good supermarkets I can send you this substitute item...

download.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kalos said:

Ok Wowzz  panic over .The good news .. We have got you a  Raquel Welch poster.:classic_biggrin:

Bad news is  ....   download.jpg.76b1d996ddb1dcdbb5a0b0957a2e15cb.jpg   She's aged a bit now mate :classic_ohmy::classic_unsure: Enjoy !  :classic_smile:

That picture is much better for wowzz than my Gary Barlow one. Much less frightening. :classic_rolleyes:

Avril

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Gas, Electric,water company,Airlines, Insurance,Cruiselines and council tax are a small sample of companies I ring to pay bills and they all need the security code.

I pay my bills online and they all require security codes. Even my bank has updated  security codes too.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wedgeh said:

You were using the same password for all of those accounts?! 😱

Try not to ever use the same password for more than one thing, obviously this is very hard to keep track of so use a password manager to do it.

No, I never use the same password on more than 1 account.  The problem is that having worked all my life in IT I am too aware of what is possible when an IT system is compromised and personal data is stolen so I have changed every password to ensure that my data is as safe as I can make it however who knows what the security of any company is like so I am probably over reacting.

I would never use a password manager because you are once more putting your passwords in a domain than could be hacked in the future.

😊

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

No, I never use the same password on more than 1 account.  The problem is that having worked all my life in IT I am too aware of what is possible when an IT system is compromised and personal data is stolen so I have changed every password to ensure that my data is as safe as I can make it however who knows what the security of any company is like so I am probably over reacting.

I would never use a password manager because you are once more putting your passwords in a domain than could be hacked in the future.

😊

How do you remember them all, Josy?  Assuming the 1953 in your username is your year of birth, we were born in the same year and I can't even remember who I am sometimes let alone 84 (have just counted) passwords.😱

Another thing to consider is the security of data on phones, personally I don't do anything on my phone that involves money because when I was working we were told by our security department that mobile devices were a lot easier to hack than a pc or laptop.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It's worth checking how your passwords will be stored, but if the encryption is watertight it's pretty safe. Always have two-factor authentication enabled for every email account you own though, and any other accounts that offer it.

Interesting site for seeing if your email has been in any of the larger breaches:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

As someone who works in the industry, I think a healthy dose of paranoia is required to keep yourself safe online!

Re the age chat, at mid 30s I'm hoping I must surely count 🤞 - certainly I required the tobacco clarification 😄

• Like 4

The sooner passwords are replaced the better - and at least that's now starting to happen.  As well as online banking accounts, and probably even more so, the things that need locking down most carefully of all are email accounts - the damage that can be done by a hacker with access to your email account is immeasurable.

Two-Factor Authentication is critically important on email accounts - banks require it anyway now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

How do you remember them all, Josy?  Assuming the 1953 in your username is your year of birth, we were born in the same year and I can't even remember who I am sometimes let alone 84 (have just counted) passwords.😱

I don't have anywhere near to 84 passwords and I use passwords that are meaningful to me but are unlikely to be known by someone else, for instance the place and date where I met my husband.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

If you use Chrome (Firefox and others will offer the same facility, I'm sure) Google will offer you the option to use (and store) an extremely secure password for each account.  You wouldn't be able to remember it, but it's stored, and accessible across all devices, so you don't need to.

There's always a downside, and one of those is that the Google servers could be hacked, and passwords exposed.  I take the approach though that as things currently stand Google has more money to throw at stopping that happening than most companies so I'm prepared to take the chance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you use Chrome (Firefox and others will offer the same facility, I'm sure) Google will offer you the option to use (and store) an extremely secure password for each account.  You wouldn't be able to remember it, but it's stored, and accessible across all devices, so you don't need to.

There's always a downside, and one of those is that the Google servers could be hacked, and passwords exposed.  I take the approach though that as things currently stand Google has more money to throw at stopping that happening than most companies so I'm prepared to take the chance.

I take the same chance with Google, Harry. 

• Like 1

I am guilty of using the same password, more or less,  on quite a few accounts, including this one,  pprune, etc.

However,  all my accounts that involve money requure two step authentication process,  and I am prepared to risk still using the same password, knowing that the extra level of security will, hopefully, keep me safe.  

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't even trust them or those generators Harry The couple I use everyday and my banking I remember myself.

A couple I use now and again are stored on my mobile phone ,which same as Josey's phone does not get used for the 

internet. An example of how I would store is I could use a old pets name from years ago which I will remember and

a four digit number that's random. So lets say my pet goldfish was called RUSTY and my numbers are 3399 now I can

select two fake numbers that mean nothing and I know they are dummy's we will use 11.

Amongst all my genuine numbers in my address book would be Mr Fisher (01302 or any other dialing code as you will never be phoning it anyway:classic_wink:) Mr fISHER 01302 113399. So this would prompt me to use the word Rusty and the number minus the number eleven . Maybe 33RUS99TY  for example . Hope that Idea helps someone .:classic_smile:

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am guilty of using the same password, more or less,  on quite a few accounts, including this one,  pprune, etc.

However,  all my accounts that involve money require two step authentication process,  and I am prepared to risk still using the same password, knowing that the extra level of security will, hopefully, keep me safe.  

Lets guess Wowzz  :classic_wink:....

Fish&chips4wowzz:classic_unsure:

Fish&chipstwice4wowzz:classic_ohmy:

I💓CLEETHORPESwowzz:classic_blush:

PS if any are right I won't tell anyone Wowzz :classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I don't even trust them or those generators Harry The couple I use everyday and my banking I remember myself.

A couple I use now and again are stored on my mobile phone ,which same as Josey's phone does not get used for the 

internet. An example of how I would store is I could use a old pets name from years ago which I will remember and

a four digit number that's random. So lets say my pet goldfish was called RUSTY and my numbers are 3399 now I can

select two fake numbers that mean nothing and I know they are dummy's we will use 11.

Amongst all my genuine numbers in my address book would be Mr Fisher (01302 or any other dialing code as you will never be phoning it anyway:classic_wink:) Mr fISHER 01302 113399. So this would prompt me to use the word Rusty and the number minus the number eleven . Maybe 33RUS99TY  for example . Hope that Idea helps someone .:classic_smile:

When I got my new computer last year, I downloaded Chrome, and it automatically started generating passwords.

The first site I went to on Chrome was this forum, and the password generated completely messed up my sign on for the forum across all my devices. It was stuck in a weird signing in and signing out loop.

i deleted Chrome, immediately,  but the damage had been done and the only way I could read this forum was by being signed out. This is why I didn’t post for about 14 months.

i recently had another go, and was able to reset my password and sign in as normal.

But this has made me very wary of password managers, and I will not use them.

I’m carrying on doing what I’ve done for years, using a wide range of passwords, including capital letters, numbers and symbols, recorded in a note book in a coded form. The notebook is stored in a random place, just in case I was burgled... not that a burglar would make any sense of my code 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Lets guess Wowzz  :classic_wink:....

Fish&chips4wowzz:classic_unsure:

Fish&chipstwice4wowzz:classic_ohmy:

I💓CLEETHORPESwowzz:classic_blush:

PS if any are right I won't tell anyone Wowzz :classic_biggrin:

Two out of three ain't bad!