URGENT - Change Passwords and Monitor Credit Cards

ann141

I read this morning on another site that the reason customer services was closed yesterday was because P and O 's IT system was  hacked  and Carnival was being held to ransom. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that?(Hopefully not!!)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I read this morning on another site that the reason customer services was closed yesterday was because P and O 's IT system was  hacked  and Carnival was being held to ransom. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that?(Hopefully not!!)

Looks as if there's some truth in it:

Carnival said: “On August 15 2020 Carnival … detected a ransomware attack that accessed and encrypted a portion of one brand’s information technology systems. The unauthorised access also included the download of certain of our data files.

We expect that the security event included unauthorised access to personal data of guests and employees, which may result in potential claims from guests, employees, shareholders or regulatory agencies.”

Can't say this is any great surprise.  Probably a direct outcome of underinvestment in IT over many years,  and one hopes the regulators will take that into account when considering penalties.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 2

When you see a statement like the one below, you do begin to think this must have been a pretty serious event.  Doubtless we’ll find out pretty soon just how much personal information was stored and accessed.  And the consequences.

“We expect that the security event included unauthorised access to personal data of guests and employees, which may result in potential claims from guests, employees, shareholders or regulatory agencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What are reputation points kalos?

At a guess John I think it is for the actual post .

Eg - You post "Today's a scone day" and I read your post and click the like button,

Then your post has 1 reputation point  and if someone else likes you have 2 and so on .

So if I copy and post someones post you get the rep points shown .

Hope that helps explain it :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Erm yes and no Harry ..I did want the thread but I wanted it to open on post 4 ,which it did 

as Mr Moley seemed to be the post to follow should any more info arrive,He's good like that :classic_smile:

Thanks for the help anyway Harry as it led to the same thing anyway.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

I have just had a Phishing attempt via text message on my mobile number which P&O have, pretending to be from HSBC, I have had this mobile phone number for 7 years with no previous phishing attempts received. 

This sounds like too much of a coincidence to me on the day a data breach is reported.

Don't click on any links in emails or texts people... and change your passwords.

Edited by Cantlogincaptain
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, Cantlogincaptain said:

I have just had a Phishing attempt via text message on my mobile number which P&O have, pretending to be from HSBC, I have had this mobile phone number for 7 years with no previous phishing attempts received. 

This sounds like too much of a coincidence to me on the day a data breach is reported.

Don't click on any links in emails or texts people... and change your passwords.

Might be coincidence, but I have been receiving an enormous amount of American spam e-mails over the last 2 weeks which stopped on Saturday. 

The second time in just over 12 months that Carnival have been subject to a cyber security incident, last time it was Princess Cruises and HAL, you would have thought they would have improved security since then.

https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/ransomware/356806/hackers-target-the-worlds-biggest-cruise-operator-with-ransomware

Edited by Snow Hill

23 minutes ago, Cantlogincaptain said:

A   couple of days ago I did get for the first time in over a year a scam call on our landline ,it went to answerphone .

The caller said they were from Amazon .More like outer mongolia from the accent .

They wanted me to press number 1 to talk to their manager about a debt I owed them .

So thanks for the heads up Cantlogincaptain .keep changing those passwords folks .

Also ignore any calls on your phone that want your info or money .

They are fake your bank would never ask for your details over the phone .

If in doubt  you ring your bank back on a different phone ..Take care :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Erm yes and no Harry ..I did want the thread but I wanted it to open on post 4 ,which it did 

as Mr Moley seemed to be the post to follow should any more info arrive,He's good like that :classic_smile:

Thanks for the help anyway Harry as it led to the same thing anyway.:classic_wink:

Apologies, Kalos - the link wasn’t appearing on my iPad for some reason.  🙂

• Thanks 1

If you get any emails from the "Release the Wowzz Fund", they are totally genuine. I have been touched by the gift of various scones, (the vet says the sniffer dogs should make a full recovery), and I have traded in the Radley handbag for a roll of toilet paper, and half an ounce of rough shag.

If someone can please send a Raquel Welch poster I can begin to tunnel out.

Must dash - it's slopping out time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, kalos said:

A   couple of days ago I did get for the first time in over a year a scam call on our landline ,it went to answerphone .

The caller said they were from Amazon .More like outer mongolia from the accent .

They wanted me to press number 1 to talk to their manager about a debt I owed them .

So thanks for the heads up Cantlogincaptain .keep changing those passwords folks .

Also ignore any calls on your phone that want your info or money .

They are fake your bank would never ask for your details over the phone .

If in doubt  you ring your bank back on a different phone ..Take care :classic_smile:

I get that amazon one about once a week, along with similar ones from BT etc etc. Everything goes to answer phone now, amazing how many disconnect when the answerphone kicks in. Must check my credit card.

edit - credit card etc OK 🙂

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

Not 100% sure, but I think that an initial hack gets a certain amount of data, but not sufficient to be able to immediately start accessing everybody's credit cards and bank accounts.

This is why most hacks are liable to result in a surge of emails and phone calls, when trying to obtain the needed additional information so the hackee (is that a word?) can start spending.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

At a guess John I think it is for the actual post .

Eg - You post "Today's a scone day" and I read your post and click the like button,

Then your post has 1 reputation point  and if someone else likes you have 2 and so on .

So if I copy and post someones post you get the rep points shown .

Hope that helps explain it :classic_smile:

Reputation is based on a number of things.

Number of likes of posts,threads started etc.

You can find any members reputation and post count on advanced questions ( magnifying glass symbol).

Andy, Wowzz,Avril and Myself are in the top 60.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Mine is clearly terrible.

No surprises there.😂

You are a nice poster.

Every cc member is listed on reputation,posts etc.

Click on magnifying symbol.

Click on Content search.

Click on member search.

Click search members.

Click on Sort By.

Then you can click on

Post count.

Reputation.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Reputation is based on a number of things.

Number of likes of posts,threads started etc.

You can find any members reputation and post count on advanced questions.

Andy, Wowzz,Avril and Myself are in the top 60.

Graham.

What Graham said John  :classic_wink::classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 1