Cruise Next Certificates (NOT selling anything) - Asking for experience

WAMarathoner

I see a lot of these up on auction sites for a deep discount.  Has anyone had success buying them and using them?  The terms allow for transfer, so it's not shady.  Just wondering if it's worth getting.  We have a summer 2021 cruise with a deposit that it would be fantastic to save $$$ by using the certificates to finish the payment.  Alternately, I wouldn't mind booking another.

Thanks!

(Please don't PM me with an offer since that is against CC rules.)

I purchased one for what it would have cost on the ship, I made sure I got pictures of the certificate paperwork, but in the end, they can still scam you.  I made sure the seller had a good history and lots of feedback, and they got the certificate to me in less then a day.

40 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I purchased one for what it would have cost on the ship, I made sure I got pictures of the certificate paperwork, but in the end, they can still scam you.  I made sure the seller had a good history and lots of feedback, and they got the certificate to me in less then a day.

There hasn’t been “certificates” in years.   It’s now paperless and on the Latitudes account.   

I bought one here from someone a few years ago when it was allowed and NCL wanted $800 for a Panama Canal deposit.  The difficult part was the seller had to open a PayPal account and prepare an invoice for me to pay with my PayPal account.  Once she received payment I gave her my NCL number and she called and had it transferred to my account.

22 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

There hasn’t been “certificates” in years.   It’s now paperless and on the Latitudes account.   

The paperwork you fill out on the ship, that is what I asked to see.  Sorry if I confused you.  It had the information on what was sold to the person I got it from, including ship, sailing it was bought on, and the certificate info.

Edited by oteixeira

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

The paperwork you fill out on the ship, that is what I asked to see.  Sorry if I confused you.  It had the information on what was sold to the person I got it from, including ship, sailing it was bought on, and the certificate info.

This means nothing.  You never get anything back with the purchase.   Anyone can fill out the form-   It gets submitted to Cruise Next.     If you got the filled out form from someone-   It was BEFORE it was purchased.    

The only place you can see the purchase is on the ship account.   

Still means nothing.   

Doesn’t sound like you ever purchased Cruise Next on  a ship????

10 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

This means nothing.  You never get anything back with the purchase.   Anyone can fill out the form-   It gets submitted to Cruise Next.     If you got the filled out form from someone-   It was BEFORE it was purchased.    

The only place you can see the purchase is on the ship account.   

Still means nothing.   

Doesn’t sound like you ever purchased Cruise Next on  a ship????

I purchase them on every single cruise.  I bought extra because I booked a second cruise before sailing my first (I normally book out one at a time).  Why do you assume so much about people on this?  I fill out the forms, every time.  I put them in my folder of stuff I keep from the cruise, then when I check my account after getting home I see the certificates.  What do you want from me?  I can send you screen shots that I purchased them for years, and that I purchased one off of an auction site.  I really dislike when people just assume you didn't do something because they feel they are the resident expert.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

You never get anything back with the purchase

Thank you!  I was playing back my 2 cruises from last year in my head trying to think if I ever got anything back from the CruiseNext person.  Thinking about it - you fill out the form, hand it to them and it gets charged to your account, but they need the form in order to charge it so you don't get anything back.  Or at least I never thought to ask for some kind of receipt or confirmation...

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

Thank you!  I was playing back my 2 cruises from last year in my head trying to think if I ever got anything back from the CruiseNext person.  Thinking about it - you fill out the form, hand it to them and it gets charged to your account, but they need the form in order to charge it so you don't get anything back.  Or at least I never thought to ask for some kind of receipt or confirmation...

Or you are someone like me who wants a receipt for everything and you ask them to make a copy, which they are happy to do for you.

When purchased on board, your ship account reflects the purchase price.  It does not reflect the serial numbers of the certificates purchased, but at least gives you a date stamp and folio number in case you have questions later.

Email cruisenext@ncl.com for a summary of your certificates -- it shows date of purchase, the cruise on which they are used, and the person to/from a transfer.

While on a call with an NCL rep, I transferred two certificates to my sister.  I believe they needed her DOB to confirm that it was the right person.  When I requested a summary by email, I got two responses within 24 hours detailing the current status of each certificate, including her full name.

When SHE requested a summary, hers reflected 'transferred from [Sue Do-Over] on xxx date'. 

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Or you are someone like me who wants a receipt for everything and you ask them to make a copy, which they are happy to do for you.

OK, but you had to ask for the copy.  The way your post read made it seem as though you were saying the rest of us were wrong for saying the form is not given back to the customer and that they always give the form or a copy of the form to the customer.  They don't...

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

OK, but you had to ask for the copy.  The way your post read made it seem as though you were saying the rest of us were wrong for saying the form is not given back to the customer and that they always give the form or a copy of the form to the customer.  They don't...

And that form-   Means nothing.   It isn’t a receipt and the Cruise Next isn’t even charged to their account.     The ONLY confirmation of the purchase is when it shows as charged to their shipboard account.    THEN the Cruise Next does NOT show up until- after the cruise.   

Having a “copy” of the CN-  does mean nothing.  And I absolutely would not suggest anyone purchasing CN from an unknown-  think that offers any insurance.  

Well, the OP asked our opinions, and I gave mine.  I did buy one, I asked for proof and received what I felt was satisfactory, and I purchased and received said cruise next cert.  I am sorry if the way I described it does not meet the exact way most of you feel it works.  I have never seen a signed off cruise next form that was taken, and filed (and then copied for me) not be proof that I got the CN, but I guess we are just splitting hairs now.  You can ask for a screen grab of their latitudes page showing the CN, but that doesn't mean its safe either, since they could have used it since the grab, or sold it multiple times I suppose.

To be clear, the OP's question was:
Has anyone had success buying them and using them? 

and my answer is:
Yes (and I can show proof of the same)

Thank you,

Orlando

34 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I have never seen a signed off cruise next form that was taken, and filed (and then copied for me) not be proof that I got the CN, but I guess we are just splitting hairs now

I wasn't questioning that, I was simply saying that most people probably don't have that form since it's not standard practice to make a copy (or offer such) for the customer to hold on to.

As I mentioned before, when I bought a CN from a poster here we used PayPal so I was not worried.  In fact we split the $3 charge.  It went into my account with no problem.  From then on I always purchased at least two on every NCL cruise.  Right now I am just worried about one that expires in 3/21 which was used and returned from two cancelled cruises.  I am hoping for an extension when I do decide to book something.  Right now I'm waiting to see when cruising NCL actually starts.