Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Well done everyone. Yes, it was Sea Goddess II ✔️ in Nice ✔️. I too thought we had seen Nice already having made exactly the same mistake.

The other is Royal Viking Sun ✔️. But where?

We had sailed in through quite a long inlet then through that channel, before turning on the spot in the harbour, ready for departure. And as I said earlier, it's in the UK.

I've been to Mindelo but still didn't recognise either of those photos.

CD060.JPG

This was from the ex-Crown Dynasty, now Fred Olsen's Braemar.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

I'm impressed how early (in the UK) and late (in the US) everyone is still awake today!

I've already guessed Nice this morning my time, so I really should wait until tomorrow.  But it is very rare that I'm able to ID a port that @bluemarblecan't find, so perhaps he'll forgive me if I use tomorrow's guess in advance tonight.

The port is Londonderry (or Derry) Northern Ireland.  The square structures on the pier appear to be for depositing biomass for the adjacent Evermore Energy Plant.  Perhaps previously they loaded coal?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, ExArkie said:

I always enjoy reading your reviews and posted commentary, so I look forward to your review of the Donkin Trail.

We did not climb the Campanile. I was recovering from a knee injury (from squash, in the days when I had the lung power to do that routinely) and stairs were particularly painful.

Your wish is my command Sir, here is the link...

4 hours ago, sfred said:

The port is Londonderry (or Derry) Northern Ireland

Well done sfred. It was already tomorrow here when I got your answer so I think that counts.

A quick "back-of-an-envelope" calculation says there are 17 more ports that I've been to on Cunard ships that haven't been seen on this thread yet. And there might be more Cunard ports that I've been to on other lines, like Manaus and Santarem. It's just a question of finding identifiable pictures.

I think this topic still has a while to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I believe we had Manaus a few pages back... and Santarem, too.  EM

Yes, I posted them. What I meant was that I'm likely to have other pictures of Cunard ports but taken from non-Cunard ships. Like those ones of Manaus and Santarem.

6 hours ago, sfred said:

I'm impressed how early (in the UK) and late (in the US) everyone is still awake today!

I've already guessed Nice this morning my time, so I really should wait until tomorrow.  But it is very rare that I'm able to ID a port that @bluemarblecan't find, so perhaps he'll forgive me if I use tomorrow's guess in advance tonight.

The port is Londonderry (or Derry) Northern Ireland.  The square structures on the pier appear to be for depositing biomass for the adjacent Evermore Energy Plant.  Perhaps previously they loaded coal?

Well done again, @sfred. Londonderry/Derry wasn't even on my radar as a UK port to be checking. That one probably would have had me scratching my head for quite a while longer.

I think I've also jumped the gun on my own informal one-per-day policy by identifying the ships in both of @Colin_Cameron's photos. I'll wait at least a further 24 hours from now before identifying any of @Palmeat's latest batch of photos. I've figured out one of them so far and it is definitely a Cunard port.

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well done again, @sfred. Londonderry/Derry wasn't even on my radar as a UK port to be checking. That one probably would have had me scratching my head for quite a while longer.

I think I've also jumped the gun on my own informal one-per-day policy by identifying the ships in both of @Colin_Cameron's photos. I'll wait at least a further 24 hours from now before identifying any of @Palmeat's latest batch of photos. I've figured out one of them so far and it is definitely a Cunard port.

Thanks!  I couldn't tell @Colin_Cameron's ships in either Nice or Londonderry, so I think we made a good team.

I've identified two of @Palmeat's latest photos, but I'll also wait until tomorrow.  Plus it is Sunday morning here in Australia, and about now the wife usually tells me to go play outside and stop wasting time on Cruise Critic.  🙂

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_2438.JPG

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this photo now. I didn't recognize this one right away although I should have. I've been to this location and have seen this view, although quite a few years ago and not on a cruise.

This is the port of Haifa, Israel as seen from the site of the Bahá'í Temple (Shrine of the Báb). It's a port that has been visited by all three of the current Cunard ships as well as QE2 and others from the past.

Edited by bluemarble

On 4/10/2021 at 5:11 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_5898.JPG

This one is Mumbai, India

I noticed the navy ship with the designation F43, so I googled "F43 navy ship", and one of the hits was for the Indian Navy frigate Trishul.  A google of "F43 Indian Navy Trishul" came up with pictures that matched the configuration, and a home port of Mumbai.  Finally, google maps of Mumbai verified the background buildings of the Taj Mahal palace and tower hotels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This is the port of Haifa, Israel as seen from the site of the Bahá'í Temple (Shrine of the Báb). It's a port that has been visited by all three of the current Cunard ships as well as QE2 and others from the past.

I found Haifa also, through various google searches for eagle statues.  That leaves @Palmeat's first picture with the beach.  I can't find that port.  Hopefully someone has recognised it?

While we are awaiting the solution to @Palmeat's beach photo, here is a new port found during my recent search for the Shanghai picture.

Apologies in advance that the photo stretches the guidelines of our game to near the breaking point.  It does not show a ship, was not taken from a ship, or have any particular nautical theme.  It was, however, taken during a port day on a Cunard voyage, and it is a new port for our list.  One possible (very remote!) nautical theme is that we saw several of our Cunard crew members there, stocking up supplies.

There isn't much to go on in the photo, but if the JPG pastes into the Cruisecritic board with enough resolution there are two clues which will lead you to the country, and from there it can only be one possible port.

image.thumb.png.b6b79790b1b59651146e18a6642e0248.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very interesting @sfred. The resolution of the photo as stored here on Cruise Critic isn't all that great, but it does offer at least one fuzzy clue.  And you've provided enough additional information in your description to figure out the answer. I'll leave it at that for now for one of our other intrepid participants to figure out this one, especially since I already have that pending port identification yet to submit for "tomorrow" in a few hours.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_4442.JPG

This one is Durban, South Africa.

The key to identifying this port was following a clue from a previous post where @Palmeat mentioned a photo was "taken from Oceania Nautica en route from Cape Town to Singapore in 2017." There are a couple of itineraries for Nautica from Cape Town to Singapore in 2017. They both include only a couple cities that are Cunard ports we haven't seen yet. One of those is Durban. Following that lead paid off when I found a match to this skyline near the entrance to Durban Harbour on Google Maps.

QM2 has visited Durban on several occasions. Many of us will recall the most recent occasion was an unfortunate six days spent there last year attempting to refuel, resupply and disembark South African crew after her world voyage had been cut short in Fremantle.

I never would have thought of Durban - well spotted @bluemarble.  I always thought of the pier area of Durban as being industrial, which it is.  I was tricked (once again) by the picture being taken while the ship was underway entering the harbour, rather than tied alongside a pier.  I made that same error on a Halifax photo by @kmerlin14.

Thanks @Palmeat.  These have been good photos.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This one is Durban, South Africa.

QM2 has visited Durban on several occasions. Many of us will recall the most recent occasion was an unfortunate six days spent there last year attempting to refuel, resupply and disembark South African crew after her world voyage had been cut short in Fremantle.

We also called at Durban in 2002 while on a QE2 'Line Voyage'.

I wasn't such a keen photographer in those days. 

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think the last photograph is Salalah, Oman

Good call.

1692829804_Port2.jpg.7aa18f766a8fac2a60168cfc6aacefe0.jpg

1034473287_Port1.jpg.17919a4ce00f56c3a82c090958828f87.jpg

1867187012_TaxiTariff.thumb.jpg.eedd2354bafbd9d788df20c85c8abd22.jpg

1118322730_Sandstormtosalalah.thumb.jpg.be2f2a9813697bd72c7538a84d1077ef.jpg

588616335_BurjANahdahEnglishClocktower.thumb.jpg.8363c4ba170344cd388711c8e033bb10.jpg

936341551_OutsidetheTombofNabiUmram.thumb.jpg.4eb0d7219b9d24239624bffe4ca6c7ea.jpg

That last photograph is outside the Tomb of Nabi Umran which is 41 ft long.

The grand father of Nabi Umran isa said to be the father or Mariam (Mary) and father of Eisa (Jesus)

14 hours ago, sfred said:

This one is Mumbai, India

I noticed the navy ship with the designation F43, so I googled "F43 navy ship", and one of the hits was for the Indian Navy frigate Trishul.  A google of "F43 Indian Navy Trishul" came up with pictures that matched the configuration, and a home port of Mumbai.  Finally, google maps of Mumbai verified the background buildings of the Taj Mahal palace and tower hotels.

Nice one Sfred, roughly the same view in my Mumbai collection (2003)...

709716810_MumbaiNavalcollection.jpg.ac73104cb1633e7cb7f410406a4ae322.jpg

10 hours ago, sfred said:

While we are awaiting the solution to @Palmeat's beach photo, here is a new port found during my recent search for the Shanghai picture.

Apologies in advance that the photo stretches the guidelines of our game to near the breaking point.  It does not show a ship, was not taken from a ship, or have any particular nautical theme.  It was, however, taken during a port day on a Cunard voyage, and it is a new port for our list.  One possible (very remote!) nautical theme is that we saw several of our Cunard crew members there, stocking up supplies.

There isn't much to go on in the photo, but if the JPG pastes into the Cruisecritic board with enough resolution there are two clues which will lead you to the country, and from there it can only be one possible port.

image.thumb.png.b6b79790b1b59651146e18a6642e0248.png

I'm going to take a stab at Yokohama. I guess Costco wasn't there on my first visit (HMS Victorious) in 1964 but on later visits with P&O Oriana and Aurora could well have been a possibility.