Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Hmmm. One of the IOW boats? Red Falcon or one of its siblings?

Almost. By photo was taken onboard a somewhat larger vessel that was alongside at the time. Not looking for the name of the vessel but where she was alongside.

Edited by bluemarble

On 9/6/2022 at 7:37 PM, bluemarble said:

Almost. By photo was taken onboard a somewhat larger vessel that was alongside at the time. Not looking for the name of the vessel but where she was alongside.

I'm thinking the only way to get that angle would be to zoom in from a ship at the Queen Elizabeth ll terminal? It's a more straight on view to the Western Docks from a ship in the Ocean Terminal.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Is it Tromso, Norway?

I think @Yaldiis correct.  The bridge appears to be the Tromsøbrua, a cantilever bridge built in 1960.

Tromso has been seen before in the game, although way back in August/September 2020.  Nice to see it again, thanks @Lanky Lad.  Mrs sfred and I will be fortunate to see the town first hand from QM2 in November.

43 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

I'm thinking the only way to get that angle would be to zoom in from a ship at the Queen Elizabeth ll terminal? It's a more straight on view to the Western Docks from a ship in the Ocean Terminal.

That's correct. My photo was taken from onboard QM2 while docked at the QEII terminal. That was November 8, 2010. The Cunard ship at the far left is QE. I remember discussing the significance of that date earlier on this thread. It was the first time QE and QM2 were together in the same port. What I didn't recall is that I had posted that exact same photo earlier on post #725 while we were discussing that very topic!

Now I'll hazard a guess that @Host Hattie's photo was also taken at the QEII terminal from onboard a Cunard ship whose name just might happen to bear a striking resemblance to the name of that terminal.

• Like 2

Here's another "reverse view" of a port already on our seen list.  I've previously posted a photo from this port of the Cunard ship, and here's the port from the ship.  Apologies for the haze - it was a cold winter day (well, cold by Brisbane standards, anyway).

image.thumb.png.4f51846c72a03f3d9eb97263613f3da0.png

Edited by sfred

4 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's another "reverse view" of a port already on our seen list.  I've previously posted a photo from this port of the Cunard ship, and here's the port from the ship.  Apologies for the haze - it was a cold winter day (well, cold by Brisbane standards, anyway).

Bergen

11 hours ago, sfred said:

I think this one is Nagasaki, Japan. A good complement to your previous view of the city from on high in post #164.

• Like 1

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this one now. Once again it's a companion to an earlier photo from @sfred showing this port from on high. This time it's the companion to post #166. This photo shows QE arriving at Juneau, Alaska.

The other cruise ship in the photo is Coral Princess because of the gas turbines visible on the funnel. I believe Island Princess had those removed prior to this photo from 2019. I'm also able to find an itinerary for Coral Princess that places her in Juneau on the same date we know @sfred was there from previous posts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this one now. Once again it's a companion to an earlier photo from @sfred showing this port from on high. This time it's the companion to post #166. This photo shows QE arriving at Juneau, Alaska.

The other cruise ship in the photo is Coral Princess because of the gas turbines visible on the funnel. I believe Island Princess had those removed prior to this photo from 2019. I'm also able to find an itinerary for Coral Princess that places her in Juneau on the same date we know @sfred was there from previous posts.

Correct @bluemarble You were also the identifier of Juneau in the original August 2020 photo post.

This photo of Juneau from QE's approach was taken on QE's maiden call 18 May 2019.  The original photo of QE in post 162 (identified by @bluemarble in post 166) was taken from Mt. Roberts on our second call to Juneau during that voyage, 23 May.  The weather was sunny and bright on our first call, and we did a drive to Mendenhall glacier.  The second call was cloudy and rainy, and we were initially concerned that our plan for Mt Roberts that day would be obscured, but fortunately the cloud layer stayed above the mountain, enabling the post 162 picture from on high down to QE's dock.

We have seen Tobermory once before (in post #2735). But since @Lanky Lad's photo looks like it might be from a cruise-by, I'll be glad to count it as "Isle of Mull, Scotland" which is listed as a cruise-by call we haven't seen yet.

Kudos to @sogne for identifying a lifeboat I didn't even realize was in the photo!

Edited by bluemarble

On 9/8/2022 at 1:47 AM, bluemarble said:

Now I'll hazard a guess that @Host Hattie's photo was also taken at the QEII terminal from onboard a Cunard ship whose name just might happen to bear a striking resemblance to the name of that terminal.

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this but @bluemarble is correct. This was my first sight of QM2 taken from QE2 docked at the QEII terminal on September 10th 2008

• Like 1