Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

14 minutes ago, sfred said:

...We were there on 24 May 2019...

@sfred, something tells me the date four days later just might be relevant to a certain recent contribution of yours. 😉  I'll leave it at that for now for someone else to work out.

@kmerlin14, thanks again for taking me up on my suggestion to contribute some of your port photos to this thread.

I can now add two more entries to our growing list of Cunard ports we've seen on this thread. We're now at 208 different ports so far by my count and I'm confident we're still counting even though I've run out of photos to contribute.

• Like 1

You are right. It is Skagway. We were there on the 14th of June. It was a nice day and lovely up at Bennett Lake, but your cruise was actually warmer. I was checking the weather in Alaska for a month before ours and often it was warmer in Alaska than it was in NB. Then, when we got to Alaska, it was slightly cooler. But we had lovely weather and a wonderful cruise. 

3 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

I did a search and couldn't see that you had one from this port either. 

IMG_2711.thumb.jpg.07d9f7007bf3a4a26794e87896ee3b26.jpg

Argh!  I admit defeat.

There are a couple of good clues in the photo.  QM2 is flying a Canadian flag, suggesting a maritime province trip.  The building at the far left has what looks like a TD Bank Wealth division logo with the TD Bank green line.  And there's a faint view of a yellow-orangish building between the trees and the ship.

But I can't match the photo to a Canada Cunard port.  I've looked at St. John NB (I thought highly likely given your location), Sydney NS, St. John's NL, Quebec City, and Saguenay.  Halifax I discounted because we've already had that port, and again the configuration in the photo didn't seem to fit.

A better image processor than me is needed!

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Argh!  I admit defeat.

There are a couple of good clues in the photo.  QM2 is flying a Canadian flag, suggesting a maritime province trip.  The building at the far left has what looks like a TD Bank Wealth division logo with the TD Bank green line.  And there's a faint view of a yellow-orangish building between the trees and the ship.

But I can't match the photo to a Canada Cunard port.  I've looked at St. John NB (I thought highly likely given your location), Sydney NS, St. John's NL, Quebec City, and Saguenay.  Halifax I discounted because we've already had that port, and again the configuration in the photo didn't seem to fit.

A better image processor than me is needed!

@sfred, I'm really going to go out on a limb here, but this is what I think might be going on with @kmerlin14's QM2 photo.

I'm getting an excellent match to the TD Wealth building located at 1601 Lower Water Street in Halifax. Yes, we've seen Halifax several times before on this thread, but perhaps @kmerlin14 missed that since she's just started contributing to this thread.

There is a view directly down to the waterfront only about two blocks away from that TD Wealth building. However, the view from there is not to the cruise terminal at pier 20-22, but rather significantly to the north of the cruise terminal.

Now here's the additional clue that just might make this all work though. Notice how the sun appears to be shining directly onto the port side of QM2 while other parts of the photo are in shade. That could indicate it's just about sunset. And that leads to my leap of faith that what we are seeing here is QM2 sailing past the viewer at this point as she is departing Halifax in the late afternoon/early evening.

How did I do with that forensic photo analysis @kmerlin14? I'm off to bed now. It's way past my bedtime!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

There is a view directly down to the waterfront only about two blocks away from that TD Wealth building. However, the view from there is not to the cruise terminal at pier 20-22, but rather significantly to the north of the cruise terminal.

Ah, that makes sense.  I was going off Google Maps and my memory of the Halifax cruise terminal areas.  I fell into a rabbit hole that assumed QM2 was moored at the pier, rather than realising that she could be underway in the photo.  Good thinking, and pleasant dreams! 

Edited by sfred

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred, I'm really going to go out on a limb here, but this is what I think might be going on with @kmerlin14's QM2 photo.

I'm getting an excellent match to the TD Wealth building located at 1601 Lower Water Street in Halifax. Yes, we've seen Halifax several times before on this thread, but perhaps @kmerlin14 missed that since she's just started contributing to this thread.

Now here's the additional clue that just might make this all work though. Notice how the sun appears to be shining directly onto the port side of QM2 while other parts of the photo are in shade. That could indicate it's just about sunset. And that leads to my leap of faith that what we are seeing here is QM2 sailing past the viewer at this point as she is departing Halifax in the late afternoon/early evening.

How did I do with that forensic photo analysis @kmerlin14? I'm off to bed now. It's way past my bedtime!

Congratulations. You did great. And sorry for repeating a port, but I could only see it mentioned in your anagrams and Cunard building posts. The shot was actually taken from the Mercantile Social restaurant. I was there for a business dinner and I felt a shadow pass by the window and someone mentioned it was the Queen Mary. So I jumped up and ran to find a place where I could get a good picture and found a wide picture window just outside the room we were in, then came back and apologized that I was excited because we had booked a cruise on her. I'd actually checked to see if she was going to be in port while I was in Halifax and figured I was just going to miss her. So either I

read the schedule wrong or they had had to adjust her schedule because of Dorion. See picture. And would it be possible to post a list of the ports that have been done. And that was a close as I got to our cruise on the Queen Mary 2.IMG_2703.thumb.jpg.4801f6db3f0304a59d4fd572f93f4ba1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

... And would it be possible to post a list of the ports that have been done. ...

Sure is. I can see how it can be difficult to sort through search results to determine which ones correspond to a port photo and which are part of some other port name game we've been playing within this thread.

Attached is the list I've compiled of the ports/destinations we have seen in cruise photos and webcam images on this thread so far. I've attached the list as a plain text file to hopefully provide the maximum flexibility across multiple platforms. Let me know if you have any trouble using this attachment.

Where in the World 2021-02-01.txt

19 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's a photo I found hidden in one of my achive folders.  Taken during sailaway, looking back on the town.  This port was in our anagram game, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

image.thumb.png.51447dd3fbb3f798194681d0eaf34e41.png

Just as a reminder since we've started a new browser page, we haven't yet officially identified this photo of @sfred's from yesterday. I provided a hint indicating I thought it was taken on 28 May 2019, but left it at that for now to allow someone else to finish the identification.

19 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's a photo I found hidden in one of my achive folders.  Taken during sailaway, looking back on the town.  This port was in our anagram game, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

image.thumb.png.51447dd3fbb3f798194681d0eaf34e41.png

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Just as a reminder since we've started a new browser page, we haven't yet officially identified this photo of @sfred's from yesterday. I provided a hint indicating I thought it was taken on 28 May 2019, but left it at that for now to allow someone else to finish the identification.

Could this be Ketchikan, Alaska?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Could this be Ketchikan, Alaska?

It is indeed!  Taken from QE's Alaska voyage on 28 May 2019 (as @bluemarblesuspected).  I found a folder of old photos on a backup disk that I had forgotten to organise into my regular travel files.  They contain two ports that we're still missing, so I'll add these in separate postings.

• Like 1

Another photo from my newly discovered backup disk.  This Cunard port was was in our anagram game, but has not yet been seen here.  Photo taken during sailaway.  It almost qualifies as a sunset picture, with a faint reflection off the building facades.

image.thumb.png.58e00d02454e805c7f16dc4b4f185346.png

5 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

Congratulations. You did great. And sorry for repeating a port, but I could only see it mentioned in your anagrams and Cunard building posts.

No worries - I had discounted Halifax mostly due to my error in thinking that QM2 must have been moored at the cruise pier in the photo.

Out of curiosity, have you ever run across a "Cunard building" in your trips to Halifax?  I have to think there was one somewhere in the city, given the importance of the port to Cunard.  The only one I've found is an honorable-mention modern event space, that isn't really connected with the shipping line in the historical sense.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

No worries - I had discounted Halifax mostly due to my error in thinking that QM2 must have been moored at the cruise pier in the photo.

Out of curiosity, have you ever run across a "Cunard building" in your trips to Halifax?  I have to think there was one somewhere in the city, given the importance of the port to Cunard.  The only one I've found is an honorable-mention modern event space, that isn't really connected with the shipping line in the historical sense.

I'm pretty sure there is a statue and there is definitely a prominent street and they are developing a big Cunard Quay project as well as the Cunard Centre. I saw a display on it November of 2019 back when life was normal, but I haven't been back since because were in the middle of major house repairs around the time the Atlantic Bubble opened up so we had to stay close to home and the bubble has now closed again for us.

I think I found a couple more ports to post once the new one has been identified.

Would this qualify

https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=4138&pid=0

And I was going to guess Ketchikan as well for your port but other beat me to it. But is Blue Marble referring to the terrible crash that I thought took place on the 20th of May. I think the planes were flying again when we got there, but there was no way I was getting on one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

I'm pretty sure there is a statue and there is definitely a prominent street and they are developing a big Cunard Quay project as well as the Cunard Centre.

Would this qualify

https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=4138&pid=0

Thanks @kmerlin14.  I think Oakland Lodge should definitely be included in our list of historic "Cunard Buildings".  Some extracts from the URL you gave:

Oakland Lodge is a two storey Gothic Revival style house located on Robie Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The house is all that remains of the large Cunard estate known as Oaklands. The impressive iron gates mark the beginning of a carriage drive that once wound between a boulevard of trees toward a large mansion house.

Oakland Lodge is valued for its association with the Cunard family, the original estate Oaklands, and with its architect. Originally the estate was owned by William Taylor, a Loyalist and former Boston merchant. The property passed in 1815 to Richard Tremaine,  In 1861 Tremaine's heirs sold the property to William Cunard, the second son of Sir Samuel Cunard, the founder of the famous shipping line. The main house was destroyed ca. 1900 by fire during the building of the railway cutting. Oakland Lodge is the only remaining structure of the estate. It was built as the gate keeper’s or porter’s residence.

Oakland Lodge, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2005.; HRM Planning and Development Services, Heritage Property Program, 2005.

As you mention, there is also the Cunard statue by the cruise terminal, and the Cunard Centre event venue.  I'm still in search of any historical Halifax building that would have provided ticketing, provisioning, and administration for Cunard's operations in Halifax.  Probably it has fallen to the wrecking ball in some redevelopment, but one can hope there is some remnant.

46 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

... And I was going to guess Ketchikan as well for your port but other beat me to it. But is Blue Marble referring to the terrible crash that I thought took place on the 20th of May. I think the planes were flying again when we got there, but there was no way I was getting on one.

I didn't recall until now that May 20th 2019 floatplane crash at Ketchikan or the midair collision of two floatplanes on sightseeing excursions from Ketchikan a week earlier on May 13th 2019. I just looked up the tragic details. I'm sure those accidents caused considerable trepidation among those scheduled for similar excursions.

No, I was just following along with the 2019 Cunard itineraries after noticing the coincidence that both you and @sfred had posted Alaska port photos within an hour of each other yesterday. I didn't think it would have been very sporting of me to identify those photos right after I had seen some excellent photos of yours which looked like ports we hadn't seen here yet and invited you join this thread. So I confined by comments to a hint about how both of those ports could be found within a few days of each other on the Cunard itineraries.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Thanks @kmerlin14.  I think Oakland Lodge should definitely be included in our list of historic "Cunard Buildings".  Some extracts from the URL you gave:

Oakland Lodge is a two storey Gothic Revival style house located on Robie Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The house is all that remains of the large Cunard estate known as Oaklands. The impressive iron gates mark the beginning of a carriage drive that once wound between a boulevard of trees toward a large mansion house.

Oakland Lodge is valued for its association with the Cunard family, the original estate Oaklands, and with its architect. Originally the estate was owned by William Taylor, a Loyalist and former Boston merchant. The property passed in 1815 to Richard Tremaine,  In 1861 Tremaine's heirs sold the property to William Cunard, the second son of Sir Samuel Cunard, the founder of the famous shipping line. The main house was destroyed ca. 1900 by fire during the building of the railway cutting. Oakland Lodge is the only remaining structure of the estate. It was built as the gate keeper’s or porter’s residence.

Oakland Lodge, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2005.; HRM Planning and Development Services, Heritage Property Program, 2005.

As you mention, there is also the Cunard statue by the cruise terminal, and the Cunard Centre event venue.  I'm still in search of any historical Halifax building that would have provided ticketing, provisioning, and administration for Cunard's operations in Halifax.  Probably it has fallen to the wrecking ball in some redevelopment, but one can hope there is some remnant.

Privateers Wharf and the historic properties might have been too early for Cunard. A lot of ships including Cunard's came through Pier 21 which has now been turned into a museum so they may have had ticketing offices there. There were also a lot of buildings wiped out during the Halifax explosion.

16 hours ago, sfred said:

... The building at the far left has what looks like a TD Bank Wealth division logo with the TD Bank green line.  ...

I have been remiss in not thanking you sooner for this hint. I had been doing generic lookups for any "Wealth" companies in Canada and as you can probably imagine I wasn't getting very far. Once I was able to concentrate on looking for "TD Wealth" offices, it didn't take long to conclude the photo was probably showing Halifax. Then it was a matter of figuring out how QM2 could possibly have been docked at the location shown in the photo which then led to the conclusion she was not in fact docked at all.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I have been remiss in not thanking you sooner for this hint. I had been doing generic lookups for any "Wealth" companies in Canada and as you can probably imagine I wasn't getting very far. Once I was able to concentrate on looking for "TD Wealth" offices, it didn't take long to conclude the photo was probably showing Halifax. Then it was a matter of figuring out how QM2 could possibly have been docked at the location shown in the photo which then led to the conclusion she was not in fact docked at all.

No worries.  I recognised the green colour of the line below "----  Wealth".  While we don't have TD Bank here in Australia, I used to work for a big consulting company that did a lot of work for TD Bank in Canada and the US, and we used them as a global client reference.  I put their logo and case studies in a lot of presentations.

I found a copy of Halifax Warden of the North and I'm wondering if the reason it is hard to find the Cunard office location is because they didn't have a continuous operation in Halifax. According to Raddall, Samuel Cunard returned to the city in 1839, and the Unicorn arrived in 1840. In 1849, Halifax became the starting point of the pony express when Europa dropped it's first mail packet there. There was also a Cunard wharf around that time. But , by either 1867 or 1874 (not quite clear), Cunard was considered too big to call in Halifax there was more or less a hiatus until the first world war broke out and the Mauretania fled into the port. The ship's arrival database from the Pier 21 site (which is not quite complete) has the Ausonia arriving in 1926. It also states that the Cunard line stopped calling at the port in 1967, but the book is copyright in 1971, so it is a tad out of date there.

13 hours ago, sfred said:

Another photo from my newly discovered backup disk.  This Cunard port was was in our anagram game, but has not yet been seen here.  Photo taken during sailaway.  It almost qualifies as a sunset picture, with a faint reflection off the building facades.

image.thumb.png.58e00d02454e805c7f16dc4b4f185346.png

OK, I'll go ahead and give this one a go now. I think this is Anchorage, Alaska. Visited once by QE on 16 May 2019 and it was one of the ports in our anagram game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'll go ahead and give this one a go now. I think this is Anchorage, Alaska. Visited once by QE on 16 May 2019 and it was one of the ports in our anagram game.

Correct on all details, @bluemarble.  It was QE's maiden call to Anchorage, and our second Alaska port call after Kodiak and the transpacific from Japan.  Cunard used the "Port of Alaska" facility adjacent to the city centre just to the north. which was much more convenient to the city than the distant Whittier facility used by many other cruise lines.  It also enabled the scenic city view, framed by the surrounding mountains, on evening sailaway.

And here's the last newly-found Cunard port photo that was hiding in one of my archive disks.  This is also a port we have not seen before.  My last two contributions should narrow the likely geographic area quite considerably.  Cruise ships dock further up the coast to the north, well out of view of this photo, and passengers take shuttle buses into the town.

image.thumb.png.dcff15b8d87a6cab18490006c9352968.png