Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

33 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

If this is allowed, it would give us another port. It's a picture of a port with a book with a picture of a ship in a port in it and the picture of the book with the picture of the ship in the port in it.

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Is that going to be the new illustration for formal/Gala Night attire on Cunard's Web site?

7 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I will guess Rio de Janeiro for the second one, mostly based on my memory of what the airport (at the right center of photo) looked like on approach.

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. I had been struggling to identify that second one. Was way off looking in the wrong part of the world I'm afraid. I now see it's showing the view from Sugarloaf Mountain (Pão de Açúcar).

Correct @ExArkie.  And also correct @bluemarble.  It is indeed Rio de Janeiro Brazil, and the picture is from Sugarloaf Mountain, looking north towards the city centre.  The runway of the domestic RJ Santos Dumont airport is visible at right.  QV had arrived that morning, 9 February 2020, for an overnight stay, and is in the picture but hidden behind the downtown buildings.  I had posted a view of her arriving off Copacabana beach shortly after dawn in the Daily Sunrise Photo thread.  The wife and I boarded the next day for our South America voyage.

4 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

If this is allowed, it would give us another port. It's a picture of a port with a book with a picture of a ship in a port in it and the picture of the book with the picture of the ship in the port in it.

IMG_2332.jpg

The buildings in the background look like St. John, NB Canada (your home port?).  If so, thanks for this contribution.  I have been looking in my files for a St John photo from our QM2 port call there on 3 July 2018, but I haven't found any.  We had a nice day in the city, stopping at a Tim Hortons for morning coffee and wifi, and then wandering the streets with lunch and a pint at a pub on Princess Street. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sfred said:

The buildings in the background look like St. John, NB Canada (your home port?).  If so, thanks for this contribution.  I have been looking in my files for a St John photo from our QM2 port call there on 3 July 2018, but I haven't found any.  We had a nice day in the city, stopping at a Tim Hortons for morning coffee and wifi, and then wandering the streets with lunch and a pint at a pub on Princess Street. 

I will give it to you since you added the province as long as you correct the spelling. It is indeed Saint John, NB. The New Brunswick port is always spelled out, as opposed to St. John's, NF.

Glad you enjoyed your visit when you got here. We had the cruise up the eastern seaboard booked for Oct 2020, but obviously we didn't get to do it. Saint John is close to us, but we can't visit it right now because we aren't supposed to leave our healthcare zones if we can help it.

But when the world gets fixed and the cruise ships come back there will be a new place to visit because they completed the Fundy Trail parkway last summer and it is absolutely stunning. I think everyone in New Brunswick went for a visit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

I will give it to you since you added the province as long as you correct the spelling. It is indeed Saint John, NB. The New Brunswick port is always spelled out, as opposed to St. John's, NF.

Proper spelling noted and corrected - thanks!  🙂  Cunard needs to fix it also - they had it wrong in our itinerary, and also used Nb rather than NB.

image.thumb.png.5242a322109bbc74a8c2954b4a55c162.png

The correct spelling for Saint John is now duly noted in my Cunard itineraries and port list documents as well, @kmerlin14.

I've occasionally asked Cunard itinerary trivia questions on this thread. Here's an interesting tidbit I just noticed about Saint John, New Brunswick.

It looks like Saint John has the distinction of being the Cunard port that has been visited the most often by only one of the current Cunard ships. I show QM2 has called at Saint John a total of 16 times but neither QE or QV have ever visited Saint John based on the itineraries I have.

Edit: Never mind! I just found a call by QV to Saint John in October 2009. So, Saint John has been visited by more than one of the current Cunard ships.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Here's an errata sheet for anyone using that "Where in the World 2021-02-01" text file I attached on Monday listing the ports we've seen on this thread up to that point. I've found I missed a few. Three of them happen to be port photos I posted myself and forgot to record. Here are the additional ports we've seen prior to Monday that aren't listed in the document.

Fremantle, Western Australia

Izmir, Turkey

Kirkwall, Scotland

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

21 hours ago, sfred said:

I did a cross-reference between @bluemarble's text file containing the full list of ports which we have seen on this thread, and my itineraries of Cunard voyages the wife and I have been on.

I identified four ports that we have not yet seen, that I have some photos of.  I never posted them before, because I thought two of them were a little too easy to identify, and two of them were too hard.

Here's the first of the more difficult ports.  We were returning from our day's excursion, and while walking down the pier noticed that several new passengers had joined the ship.  I guess they had been evicted from the "humans-only" pools on deck 9, because the seals had taken up the space on the bulbous bow for an afternoon snooze in the sun.  We didn't see them again later on, so maybe they concluded there wasn't enough fish on that evening's dinner menu.

image.thumb.png.9d4584fff84e8167488996dc705d3253.png

image.png.be53af0c9ab9bb787f95e4c013e2d96e.png

With my photos being primarily focused on the seals, there's very little to go on to identify the port.  Here's an early hint.  Rather than seals, this port's typical tourist attraction is a different creature - penguins.

image.png.2108d17c2b96c12bc17e19d686839532.png

• Like 1

@sfred, your penguin hint got me starting to look at Argentina and Chile. As it turned out, it didn't take long to find an excellent match to the buildings in the background of your first photo as seen from the cruise dock of one the Cunard ports in those countries.

One of the images from the dock even has a sign next to some trash cans with a picture of a penguin resembling the little guy in your third photo that reads "Gracias por ayudarnos a mantener limpio nuestro muelle." Google translate advises me that translates to "Thank you for helping us keep our dock clean."

I think this is Puerto Madryn, Argentina.

• Like 1

Correct - well done!  I guess that wasn't nearly as difficult as I feared.  As you determined, the photos are from QV's port call at Puerto Madryn Argentina, 18 February 2020.  The penguins are at the Punta Tombo National Reserve, a short drive south from the port area.  There are a lot of them!  It was a really great day's excursion, concluded with great amusement by the seals sleeping on QV's bow.

image.png.c6f01630f1d57b8d39c2e60019ebf7b2.png  image.png.d8b15fd77a1ce688899bc0bd07b2a0ea.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sfred said:

Proper spelling noted and corrected - thanks!  🙂  Cunard needs to fix it also - they had it wrong in our itinerary, and also used Nb rather than NB.

image.thumb.png.5242a322109bbc74a8c2954b4a55c162.png

It's one of those tricky things that you only seem to learn after you move here. But it does help to tell the two Atlantic Canadian ports apart. 

And I've just realized that you would have been one of the places in Saint John that  I've be curious about, but could never visit. And that's the big white vendors tent. Can you remember at all what it was like. Type of vendors and where there seemed to be much engagement from the cruise ship passengers. Or would it have been so long ago that everything is a blur.

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

While we are looking forward for the next difficult one by @sfred, how about this one?

Quest N 6.JPG

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii?  The Google maps image of the breakwater and tender pier fits.  The ship is pre- 2017 refit QV, and QV was at Lahaina on 13 February 2016, so there's a date that also fits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

And I've just realized that you would have been one of the places in Saint John that  I've be curious about, but could never visit. And that's the big white vendors tent. Can you remember at all what it was like. Type of vendors and where there seemed to be much engagement from the cruise ship passengers. Or would it have been so long ago that everything is a blur.

I don't have a recollection of the Saint John vendor tent, unfortunately.  I've gotten to an age where any time I learn something new, a previous something has to be forgotten, so the tent might have been recently deleted.  😄   

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii?  The Google maps image of the breakwater and tender pier fits.  The ship is pre- 2017 refit QV, and QV was at Lahaina on 13 February 2016, so there's a date that also fits.

That matches what I'm seeing in online images of the Lahaina breakwater and tender pier as well. The pattern in the itineraries for four different sets of calls by QV to Hawaii during 2011 and 2012 was as follows.

Hilo, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii

Nawiliwili, Hawaii

Lahaina, Hawaii

We've previously seen photos of QV at Hilo, Honolulu and Nawiliwili on this thread, so a photo of Lahaina completes the set of those four ports that have been historically part of a single QV Hawaii itinerary.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sfred said:

I am sorry, in February 2016 I travelled land-based in Portugal and on the Canary Islands.

Edited by carlmm

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That matches what I'm seeing in online images of the Lahaina breakwater and tender pier as well. The pattern in the itineraries for four different sets of calls by QV to Hawaii during 2011 and 2012 was as follows.

Hilo, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii

Nawiliwili, Hawaii

Lahaina, Hawaii

We've previously seen photos of QV at Hilo, Honolulu and Nawiliwili on this thread, so a photo of Lahaina completes the set of those four ports that have been historically part of a single QV Hawaii itinerary.

Perfect again, bluemarble, it was one of these cruises,

@Colin_Cameron, on a hunch we might have a Hawaii theme going on here, supported by the trees in the first photo and the dark beachfront in the second, I investigated QM2 Hawaii ports we haven't seen here yet. There is only one such port left in the QM2 itineraries I have. That approach appears to have paid off as I am getting an excellent match to your first photo. I was also able to find a fair match to what's shown along the shoreline in your second photo.

I think this is Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Some online itineraries simply call the port Kona (and that's what I thought it was called), but I'm finding the official name of the town is Kailua-Kona and that's how it's listed in a Cunard brochure I have. So I can add that tidbit to what I've learned today.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

It is indeed.

I was trying to think what clues would be needed.

It is on a “Big Island”.  

It’s probably not unique but it’s certainly unusual. A clue to the date, and therefor the location, would be that we sailed with both a Captain and a Commodore on board.

And here is the second of the two new ports that I thought would be hard.  (Silly me - nothing is too hard for this group!).  In the interests of making it more challenging, I'll refrain from any hints for now.

image.thumb.png.4661fec6dd906c7af6053e7620dd7453.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

And here is the second of the two new ports that I thought would be hard.  (Silly me - nothing is too hard for this group!).  In the interests of making it more challenging, I'll refrain from any hints for now.

image.thumb.png.4661fec6dd906c7af6053e7620dd7453.png

No hints needed for this one. There's enough detail there to work it out. After a few dead ends looking elsewhere, I decided to follow a hunch that it might be another port on the same itinerary as your previous penguin port photo and that proved fruitful.

That rather thin oddly-angled glass building toward the left of the photo turned out to be the key feature that caught my eye while examining port photos. I was eventually able to determine that building is called Edificio EWOS located at 130 Freire. Also being able to match one or two other buildings and that cluster of towers on the hillside at the left sealed the deal.

I think this port is Puerto Montt, Chile. Another "puerto" to add to our growing Cunard port list. Thanks for another intriguing port identification challenge.

• Like 1

Amazing, and absolutely correct!  It is indeed Puerto Montt Chile, 27 February 2020.  Our port call that day was cancelled.  The weather wasn't the best at the time of the photo, and the forecast was for conditions to further deteriorate through the day.  Puerto Montt is a tender port, with boats landing at the short stub pier at the right of the photo, and the captain was concerned that the tenders would be unable to get passengers back to the ship later on.  So about a half hour after arriving, we departed again.  I took this photo, my only one of the day, from the stern of QV's deck 9 as we got underway, thinking that I wasn't sure when, if ever I'd be back to that part of Chile again. 

Well done @bluemarble!

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2