The Daily for Monday Aug 24, 2020

richwmn

today is Vesuvius Day  and International Strange Music Day

Fairy Tale, n.:
    A horror story to prepare children for the newspapers.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Cauliflower Wedges

Wine of the day - Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Rabajà Riserva vintage 2013

Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) at Sea Caribbean destination Miami eta 8/27
ship is currently south of Panama City Beach FL.

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Fortaleza Brazil eta 9/8
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Fortaleza Brazil eta 9/7
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea Indian
Noordam destination Limassol eta 9/10

Piraeus
Maasdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Port Klang
Zuiderdam

Rotterdam
Amsterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek
Rotterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0824World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the daily Rich.  Interesting pair of days and a sad truth to the quote.  While I have about 380 actual days on HAL there are a lot of duplicates and I'm starting about a month of dates where I have never had dinner in a HAL dining room.  My swan song meal suggestion for now will be a custom made HAL omelet like I enjoyed on the Statendam August 24, 2014.

Today's care list:

Family and friends of Summer slope's neighbor

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

Mrs Sailingdutchy (Martha)and Mr. Victoriann (Pat) dealing with back issues

Those dealing with wildfires

Rain and relief for Phoenix and much of the southwest

Teachers and Students

Dr. Fauci

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome smitty34877 and Marmat@sea

Meals on wheels helpers

Sharon's in-laws

Front line health workers

and former Raven Ray Lewis continuing to support the youth of Baltimore.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for all the work you do for us.  So enjoyable to see our beloved ships and lists for prayers and congratulations. 

The quote is so true.  Almost afraid to read it daily.

Thank you all for your kind words yesterday about my neighbor.  It helped with the sadness.

Have a great start of your week!!

• Like 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Hope the Gulf Bridge hugs our Coast to avoid the worst of the storms, though I bet they might have a rough ride in some spots.  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Hope all is well!

Interesting mix of days. Strange music can be anything we are not used to listening to. I know my Mom thought my music was strange. Perhaps Vesuvius Day allows us each to blow our tops? Have fun with these two, Joy!

I keep saying I am going to try grilled cauliflower “steaks”, so why not add wedges to my list. Has anyone made these? Any favorite marinades? Spice combos?

The wine is very highly rated, but the 2013 may no longer be available. Prices for other vintages range from $40 - $69. And all vintages seem to be as highly rated, so if you are willing to wait to drink it - find a price that works for you. I do not believe I have ever had a wine in this category before, so I would want to taste it before spending at or near the top of my budget. I would like to know how often the folk at Wine Enthusiast sniff saddle leather? 🤔(See bolded, underlined part of their review).

#13 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Pairs well with fresh egg pastas, risottos, white meats, red meats, venison and old cheese.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast
A hallmark expression of Nebbiolo, Produttori del Barbaresco's 2013 Rabajà Riserva offers aromas of wild red berry, menthol, Alpine herb, saddle leather and dark culinary spice. The concentrated palate boasts enviable finesse and is practically weightless in the mouth, showing crushed black cherry, juicy raspberry, orange zest, clove and licorice alongside firm, velvety tannins. Bright acidity provides impeccable balance. Drink 2021–2033. 
WS96 Wine Spectator
Fruity, featuring floral, cherry and plum flavors, along with savory leather, licorice and tobacco notes. A chewy texture and lively acidity keep this well-defined through the long finish. Complex and classy. Best from 2023 through 2038.

Prayers to those who need our support - @summer slopethinking of you.

🥂to all celebrating. 

Stay well everyone!😷

• Like 10

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. It warms my heart to see what our little community shares on your thread.

I have had cauliflower wedges several times prepared several ways. The quote is sad.

Thanks Roy for the prayers, celebrations and pictures. Sweet you added @erewhon meals on wheels. That's what we will toast to tonight!

Good morning sweet sisters Denise and Ann. Wow Ann, great detail on the wine of the day. Thank you! lol on saddle leather. Ick

So Claudio is coming back this morning and adding some more trees and flowers. I'm tied between the black diamond crape myrtle and the twilight myrtle. Anyone have suggestions?

Tonight is prime rib special at Wildfire. We are venturing out to eat with friends. Only 4 tables at a time in the dining room. How do these folks stay in business?

Prayers for all on Roy's list. Thinking of summer slopes family as they mourn the death of their loved one.

Love to ya'll!

For @ger_77

Funny Sheet Music Annotations — Musicnotes Now

Vesuvius has erupted about three dozen times since 79 A.D., most recently from 1913-1944. ... It has not erupted since then, but Vesuvius is an active volcano , it will erupt again. The oldest dated rock at Mt Vesuvius is about 300,000 years old.

What Dream About Volcano Eruption Means

• Like 11

Morning y'all! Interesting how some of these cruise ship anchorages change; remember Manilla Bay with up to 23+ cruise ships not too long ago? Today only the smaller Silver Muse (Silversea Cruises) and expedition ship Caledonian Sky (the former Renaissance Six, now working for Noble Caledonia) are left there and everyone else has "shifted" elsewhere

2974578.jpg

1941544.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

today is Vesuvius Day  and International Strange Music Day

I too read  these posts every day.  Thank you Rich and Roy for all the work needed to post these.  And thank everyone else for your wonderful pictures and positive comments.  

Charles

Edited by ChaCr
typo
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, ChaCr said:

I too read  these posts every day.  Thank you Rich and Roy for all the work needed to post these.  And thank everyone else for your wonderful pictures and positive comments.  

Charles

Welcome Charles. By all means, join the fun!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ChaCr said:

Charles

Morning Charles! Welcome & cheers!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So Claudio is coming back this morning and adding some more trees and flowers. I'm tied between the black diamond crape myrtle and the twilight myrtle. Anyone have suggestions?

I would gravitate toward the Black Diamond - gorgeous red, and more likely to attract butterflies, and humming birds. Not that you have any Problem doing that!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

I would gravitate toward the Black Diamond - gorgeous red, and more likely to attract butterflies, and humming birds. Not that you have any Problem doing that!

Thanks Sis. I would like to get 1 of each, but the Black Diamond does look beautiful. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

That is an interesting combination of days.  Ironic that we were chatting about Herculaneum the other day.

That quote is really true for sure.  Sad, but true.

Meal suggestion is interesting but I think we will pass in favour of a lobster roll and hand cut fries 😉. And wine, of course.

Just a couple of begonias:

5A581BF1-711C-4171-A933-059E2F8A2967.thumb.jpeg.8482af1f4b337476a96d4ac0fafdc0cf.jpeg

C1BF96AE-822F-42C6-A0ED-82FE89B6BDBE.thumb.jpeg.3b75d0f9a1951b1bbece7bf85b578cd6.jpeg

And Jose’s “special bulbs”.  He bought them a few years ago and like the dahlias, cannas and callas, etc., they are dug up and stored every fall.

Not a tall plant but in the right container where they are not dwarfed they are distinctive.

C4698B47-CF34-497B-A9AD-C99D2E5A7D55.thumb.jpeg.da48d01c71b02ad439527dd70dab9ff1.jpeg

Welcome to Charles @ChaCr

Prayers to all on our Care list and shutouts to those on our list.

Have a great Monday everyone and stay safe.  Don’t forget your mask.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu My goodness you have a beautiful garden. And you dig up all the bulbs in the fall? Wow. That's alot of work!

Thanks for sharing!

Oh yes, all the bulbs have to be dug up and stored.  Otherwise they wouldn’t survive the winter.  It’s a much sadder time in the fall digging them up than it is in the spring when I am planting. 😉 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Joy, do you anticipate any problems with Laura and Marco?  I was thinking our group was fairly clear.

Roy

Roy we live in Georgetown, just north of Austin. We are probably going to get rain and wind from what our weather person says. However it is kind of crazy with the double whammy. Right now Thursday is showing thunderstorms is all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh yes, all the bulbs have to be dug up and stored.  Otherwise they wouldn’t survive the winter.  It’s a much sadder time in the fall digging them up than it is in the spring when I am planting. 😉 

Good Morning All,

For those who live in SoCal, should we be digging up bulbs for the winter?

I’m thinking in terms of gladiolus. This was the first year I planted them.

• Like 3