Have Alaska cruises been cancelled for 2021?

david,Mississauga

I see what you mean, but nothing has been announced about 2021 Alaska cruises to my knowledge.

The 2021 Alaska cruises are still showing availability on four different US third-party cruise booking websites I just looked at. I am able to start bookings for 2021 Alaska voyages on each of those sites all the way through selecting specific cabins. Therefore I tend to think it's a glitch on the Cunard website at this point.

I've just looked and all voyages are gone up to April 2021 (QM2 and QV included), so looks like an announcement imminent?

My guess is cancel everything to end of world cruises, as they are very complex and therefore not feasible. I'm hoping that some shorter alternative voyages can be put in replacing them?

Maybe they are just removed to keep capacity down and they will go ahead?

In the news today Cunard has considerably extended their operations pause:

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

"As a result of the continuing impact of Covid-19, Cunard has further extended its pause in operations to sailings up to 25 March 2021 for Queen Elizabeth, 18 April 2021 for Queen Mary 2 and 16 May 2021 for Queen Victoria."

Just got an email from Cunard:

Throughout this year, we’ve been making some important decisions to protect the wellbeing of our guests and crew, due to the emerging threat of Covid-19. This has prompted us to assess future itineraries and we’re delighted to announce the imminent launch of new European sailings for Queen Elizabeth in 2021 and the return of a classic World Voyage for Queen Mary 2 in 2022.

As a Cunard World Club member you will receive an exclusive 5% saving if you book any of the below voyages before 30 November 2020.*

Experience a coast closer to home.

Queen Elizabeth will make her return to UK and European waters in March 2021, before returning to Australia in December. 

Across her 2021 season, she'll call at 101 ports in 20 countries over ten months, with a selection of voyages ranging from 3 to 14 nights there’s sure to be a voyage to appeal to all. This includes the introduction of all new scenic cruising around the magnificent coasts of England, Ireland and Scotland, as well as a unique city break voyage, with an overnight call in Amsterdam. With further departures from Southampton covering destinations from the tip of Norway to the Iberian Coast, Queen Elizabeth will – for the first time since 2014 – then embark on a series of fly-cruises in the Mediterranean, departing from Barcelona. Her European season then closes as she returns to Australia, on a grand voyage with calls to Singapore and Sri Lanka and finally Melbourne. 

All new itineraries on board Queen Elizabeth will be available to book from 10.00am, 29 September 2020.

An iconic voyage returns in 2022.

Sailing on a return course through the Suez Canal, Queen Mary 2 will journey across the Mediterranean Sea to Greece, Dubai, Hong Kong and Singapore before reaching southeast Australia.

Our guests have told us that they look for memorable destinations which combine intrinsic culture with glamour and heritage. Our 104-night classic adventure will deliver just that, with a wealth of fascinating shores awaiting your arrival. Calling at 27 ports in 16 countries, this World Voyage offers you an extraordinary journey.

Departing 10 January and returning 24 April 2022, Queen Mary 2’s new World Voyage will be available to book from 10.00am, 8 September 2020.

https://cruise-adviser.com/cunard-cancels-cruises-until-march-2021/

This, whilst not being Cunard, does state its cancelled.
Funny old world- got a cracking price to upgrade my flights to Vancouver on BA.

Tried to call back and then ran into the "we are closed due to IT glitch".

Then 3 days later when I could get through the price had gone up by over 75% so didn't do it and spent the next few days ranting to myself why didn't I take the price on the day. Now seems just as well I didn't as would have paid even more upfront money to move to another booking

Disappointing but what can you do!
I sometimes think will this ever end. Then I try to think about the people who have passed away due to this illness and the grief it causes and my cancelled cruises seem really like a 1st world problem. I also think of the crew I have spoken too who work on the ships for months on end to fund they childs education in places like the Philippines and think gosh I wonder what they are doing to make a living now.

What a difference a few hours makes. In keeping with what has already been discussed here and on the new cancellation thread, there is no longer an "Alaska" destination to select on the Cunard website when doing a voyage search. US third-party cruise booking websites are still listing those Alaska voyages, as well as other voyages that have been cancelled, but today attempts to start a booking fail with "This sailing is no longer available."

What is a glitch today on the Cunard US website is that it's still showing two of QE's cancelled voyages: Q118N, Tokyo-Vancouver, June 3-22, 2021 and Q126A, Vancouver-Tokyo, Sep 2-Oct 1, 2021. But at least attempts to book those voyages on the Cunard website eventually fail with the message "The system has encountered an error while trying to fulfill your request. Please try again."

On 8/25/2020 at 6:55 AM, bluemarble said:

there is no longer an "Alaska" destination to select on the Cunard website when doing a voyage search.

Curses!  We live in Vancouver and had been eyeing a 10-day Alaska trip next summer.  There are lots of 7 day voyages on other lines but 10 days has a lot of appeal, is rare and we like Cunard.  Especially since it was Vancouver - Vancouver and we would need two taxis rather than two flights.  Ah well, c'est la vie!

3 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Curses!  We live in Vancouver and had been eyeing a 10-day Alaska trip next summer.  There are lots of 7 day voyages on other lines but 10 days has a lot of appeal, is rare and we like Cunard.  Especially since it was Vancouver - Vancouver and we would need two taxis rather than two flights.  Ah well, c'est la vie!

Although I live near Toronto, a long way from Vancouver, there is something very appealing about boarding a Cunard ship in my own country.  We did a QE cruise to Alaska last year and were planning on doing so again next year. The only voyages to or from Canada next year will be the QM2 at Quebec - to or from New York and Southampton. That is only once next year. It was twice last year and would have been twice this year.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, Craigrlewis said:

https://cruise-adviser.com/cunard-cancels-cruises-until-march-2021/

This, whilst not being Cunard, does state its cancelled.
Funny old world- got a cracking price to upgrade my flights to Vancouver on BA.

Tried to call back and then ran into the "we are closed due to IT glitch".

Then 3 days later when I could get through the price had gone up by over 75% so didn't do it and spent the next few days ranting to myself why didn't I take the price on the day. Now seems just as well I didn't as would have paid even more upfront money to move to another booking

Disappointing but what can you do!
I sometimes think will this ever end. Then I try to think about the people who have passed away due to this illness and the grief it causes and my cancelled cruises seem really like a 1st world problem. I also think of the crew I have spoken too who work on the ships for months on end to fund they childs education in places like the Philippines and think gosh I wonder what they are doing to make a living now.

Just a word of warning - I upgraded my BA flight to Vancouver from Club to First,  when it was cancelled they refunded but KEPT £600 because as an upgrade they suggest I changed the T&C and therefore had to pay a penalty!!!  

10 hours ago, laktex said:

Just a word of warning - I upgraded my BA flight to Vancouver from Club to First,  when it was cancelled they refunded but KEPT £600 because as an upgrade they suggest I changed the T&C and therefore had to pay a penalty!!!  

Wow that sounds un customer focused but i had a post it note stuck to the drsk when i called back yo upgrade (& didn't due to cost) to ask what would Happen if it got cancelled.  Hope you can get it back

BA, or any airline, have not been known to be customer focused.   Upgrade for 600 sounded like a fantastic deal.   You would never see that on United.   We switched our 14 day round trip TA this December to one in December 2021.   We have had five cruises canceled since the Pandemic began so here’s hoping the QM2 will be sailing next December.