Game Changer!

VitaminSea53

Argo, love it, well done, hoisting a glass to you.

It is a fundamental question with minimal information - I certainly would not trust the cruise lines to treat me right.

Considerable effort, time and $ is put into getting to a cruise - to have all of this wasted by a false positive (more probable with the cheaper the test........) is not something I will purchase.

I also suspect the cruise lines will want a test done before people leave a ship in order to be able to say there was no covid on their vessel - I am just waiting to see this edict be released by the cruise lines.

No thank you, a $5, or $1 test. 

15 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

And what happens if you get a false positive?  That is the question for many CC posters.

That is a concern.  And I'm not sure about this test, but for most (all?) other tests I've heard about someone could catch the virus but not show positive for a few days.  Wonder if this one is the same?  But it certainly is a huge step in the right direction and gives us some hope!

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

if you refuse to do the test will not let you board.
in that case you cannot book any Cruise until the virus is under control or a vaccine is available

And wonder about even then?  Vaccines are rarely 100%, and even an "under control" virus will have some cases.  So some requirement like this could be in place for years and years potentially.

• Like 1

And wonder about even then?  Vaccines are rarely 100%, and even an "under control" virus will have some cases.  So some requirement like this could be in place for years and years potentially.
The original SARS of 2003 was around for only 6 months from what I remember.

I would assume the airlines would require a test as well. Get the test of your choice within ? 48 ? Hrs of Ship boarding. Proof of a negative test will be on your phone (Or piece of paper).  You are good to go. NOTHING is 100% but boy this would be a relief. 

I don't know how people are making this into a game changer. This is the actual authorization in the EUA:

Indication: Qualitative detection of the nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2 in direct nasal swabs from individuals suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days symptom onset.

There's a lot of marketing in the press releases that doesn't match the actual authorization. It's authorized for Point of Care use in people with symptoms as directed by a health care provider. And a negative test result will NEVER prove you're not infected.

Useful and cheap, yes. Another tool, sure. But "proof" you're not infected, no way.

• Like 1

Don’t get too excited everyone. 
1) All viral tests have false negatives. We and the cruise companies, have to be prepared to tolerate and deal with cases of virus onboard. So depending on the prevalence of virus in the population cruising, the length of the cruise and the number of ports and excursions (particularly what happens on those excursions) and the accuracy of the test - this test may well be a game changer. People have to understand that this won’t completely prevent an outbreak, but used properly it could greatly limit the extent and severity (see #2)

2) if this is the type test I’m thinking of, it is the most useful if repeated at least every 2-3 days, some people have thought it could get cheap enough to be done daily. Even every other day would significantly reduce viral spread. Add an antibody treatment, and life truly does creep back toward normal.

3) Again, if this is the type test I’m thinking about, false positives will be rare. Antibody tests have issues with false positives when the number of true positives is very low. Antigen and PCR tests can have false positives, but those are really rare if the test has been properly validated at the company - I think Abbott would be forthcoming about that, and would have good data on cross reactivity with the other coronaviruses - that would be the source of false positives.

iIf the test is cheap enough and can be produced in huge quantities, so that it can be done very frequently, then it is a huge step forward. But it will go to schools, colleges, football stadiums, nursing home visitors, some essential workers first.