ALASKA for MAY 2021 ?

Ashland

Are you booked and are you having any second/third thoughts for the mid to late RCI May 2021 season?

I've L/S so many of my other cruises to 2022...but I keep looking at Alaska (4th trip there for us) at the

May 30, 2021 out of Vancouver. Not much current activity on the roll call so no help there.

Nobody knows at this point.  We have an Alaskan cruisetour planned for late June 2021 which we've had booked for over a year (pre-pandemic) and I am not very optimistic it will sail.  Even if a vaccine is developed, the timing involved of getting it to the masses and prioritizing first responders, medical staff, etc. would lead me to believe it could be a long time before cruising resumes.  

• Thanks 1

We're booked on NCL for late May 2021.  I am not optimistic we'll be cruising to AK then.  AK is trying to stop the spread in their state, mandatory COVID negative test within 72 hours of arrival, or quarantine while you take the test in AK.  For our initial sailing (May 2020) Victoria announced in mid-March (I think then) they were closing the port to cruise ships where NCL still didn't cancel the cruises for a month or so.  I can't see places such as this that have put in those sort of restrictions relaxing them until a widely available vaccine is available.  And yes, I 2nd and 3rd thoughts on this cruise and wish we would have just received our money back vs taking the FCC.  But it was our decision to take the gamble and I can't complain on that one.  

• Thanks 1

We had two Alaska 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess and opted for FCCs for refund. We transferred our FCCs to the same cruises in 2021; one 14-day glacier cruise in May and one 7-day Seattle-Seattle cruise in August.  At this point, we really are not out any cash as we are using FCCs, air and hotel points.  We are optimistic people and keeping our fingers crossed that cruises will happen and Alaska and Canadian tourism will rebound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our cruise is booked for June 2021.  Am concerned for our cruise and the early cruises.

I don’t think the whole Alaska season will be lost again but wondering if they start them July 1st.

We are planning on doing a land tour if our cruise is cancelled.  Would be nice if they decided by March.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Our cruise is booked for June 2021.  Am concerned for our cruise and the early cruises.

I don’t think the whole Alaska season will be lost again but wondering if they start them July 1st.

We are planning on doing a land tour if our cruise is cancelled.  Would be nice if they decided by March.

Any reason for your July time frame start date ?

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Any reason for your July time frame start date ?

Honestly, it’s a guess on my part based on the vaccine probably not being widely available until the spring and then they think people are going to need 2 doses.  I hope I am wrong and there is Alaska cruising in May and June.   I would really like to sail on our cruise in June.    

• Thanks 1

We have a reservation on Nieuw Amsterdam for the May 23, 2021 cruise out of Vancouver.   We are keeping our fingers crossed.  I was able to get a signature suite with a really nice balcony.  Great thing for an Alaskan cruise.  First they need to open the boarder between Canada and the US so we can fly into Vancouver to get on the ship.  There are three of us ladies going on this trip.  It should be a good time as long as we get to go.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flowers44 said:

We have a reservation on Nieuw Amsterdam for the May 23, 2021 cruise out of Vancouver.   We are keeping our fingers crossed.  I was able to get a signature suite with a really nice balcony.  Great thing for an Alaskan cruise.  First they need to open the boarder between Canada and the US so we can fly into Vancouver to get on the ship.  There are three of us ladies going on this trip.  It should be a good time as long as we get to go.  

We have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of times for Alaska cruises; loved the whole experience.  Hope you all get to go.

6 hours ago, Threedrones said:

We are booked for mid-May 2021 on Celebrity. We have no worries at all that we will be in Alaska.

Glad you feel that way....hoping that Alaska and Canada feel that way too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TwizzlersAddict said:

Im booked mid June and cautiously optimistic. Really hoping the border is open, since Im driving to Seattle and had planned to see Banff, Jasper and drive the Icefields  Parkway post cruise. Got a great price on a solo Balcony, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I also got a nice deal on a solo balcony. Compared to regular balcony prices it was worth it. So excited, my first time in Alaska. Enjoy your trip!

I’m in Alaska now on a 10 day trip.    I would not count on anything.  Some businesses have permanently closed

I don’t see a quick improvement on the curtailing of the virus.  It’s extremely lax here-  many aren’t wearing masks nor is it encouraged or enforced.   I just got notice Alaska is back on the NY list for mandatory 14 quarantine when I get back home.   

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’m in Alaska now on a 10 day trip.    I would not count on anything.  Some businesses have permanently closed

I don’t see a quick improvement on the curtailing of the virus.  It’s extremely lax here-  many aren’t wearing masks nor is it encouraged or enforced.   I just got notice Alaska is back on the NY list for mandatory 14 quarantine when I get back home.   

Thanks so much for your comments...always appreciated.

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

If the airfares stay low I might head up there in March for a couple weeks. Will also be looking at the snowfall there as I will be doing some snowmachining and ice fishing.

Yes.  March in Fairbanks 🤩🤩😀.   A great time!   Aurora,  dog sledding,  snow machining and Ice Sculpting Championships.   🤩.   

5 hours ago, Threedrones said:

Actually, the harsh response was the one you initially offered. Relax.

Funny how you just assumed and read into the worst from my original response. Without

understanding what I was saying and the use of my keyword "hopefully".

You know what they say about "assuming"...This was a perfect example !

29 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Funny how you just assumed and read into the worst from my original response. Without

understanding what I was saying and the use of my keyword "hopefully".

You know what they say about "assuming"...This was a perfect example !

Like “assuming” my response was harsh? Relax!