QE2 Floating Hotel

babs135

Anyone stayed on her?  An online agent is offering the QM2 to Dubai in 2022 with 2 nights stay on the Queen Elizabeth  2.   Not a bad price either.  Currently booked on the QM2 for September 2021 but even this far out I'm pessimistic about it going ahead so looking at alternatives if we have to transfer.  Obviously hoping not to especially as we couldn't transfer the September cruise to the following year as the dates will not fit and we really want to do this particular cruise.

• Like 1

There was the recent TV programme about her on TV recently and whilst she was open for business and taking guests only part of the ship had been refurbished and there was still many areas still closed. Obviously she is closed at the moment for covid reasons but will be back up and running by 2022. Take a look at the website for further info.

Edited by majortom10

Still clinging to the hope that our original cruise now scheduled for September 2021 will go ahead, but as I said in my original post and having seen the programme about her refit, etc, the idea of 2 nights on board rather intrigued me.

If your September '21 cruise is cancelled, there is a reasonable chance that Cunard - and many other cruise lines will have gone to the wall...

I am lucky enough to have sailed on QE2 once - just as well because I have no intention of visiting Dubai.

Hopefully they will have improved the area around the ship's berth - I know someone who went a year or so ago and said there was nothing else in the area and the only way to get to and from her was by taxi.

I hope things work out for you.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, babs135 said:

Anyone stayed on her?  An online agent is offering the QM2 to Dubai in 2022 with 2 nights stay on the Queen Elizabeth  2.   Not a bad price either.

Yes-- stayed 2 nights on her towards the beginning of when she opened a few years ago. Not sure if you had sailed her in the past. If you have a long history with her, like me, you'll be pleased that she's still with us but slightly disappointed that a lot of her passenger accommodation has been heavily modified and updated. All of the gorgeous One Deck Queens Grill cabins have been ripped out and replaced with bland white walls. Don't expect the faded originality you find on the Queen Mary in Long Beach or the sympathetic refurbishment you find on the SS Rotterdam. The former passenger cabins have been gutted and rebuilt, except for the bathrooms in some cases. 

The original Queens Grill was still intact when we were there but has since been remodeled to be much more modern. A lot of other public spaces are roped off (but if you know where you are going you can usually still get into them for a look). Caronia Restaurant has been ripped out and a WeWork type coworking space was going in there. Mauretania Restaurant is just sitting empty. Princess and Britannia Grills were still intact when we were there-- really hope they don't do anything drastic to Princess Grill. 

Overall it was nice to see an old friend again-- albeit one who had some unfortunate plastic surgery since the last time you spent meaningful time with her. If you sailed on her you will remember her fondly as there is enough left and she still has a sense of occasion (but not the magic she had in her sailing days). If you don't have that sense of nostalgia for her there are vastly nicer hotels to stay in Dubai. Not to say that her rooms aren't nice (she is a solid 4 star experience, not 5)-- they are just a bit bland and smaller and Dubai has one of the most over the top hotel markets in the world. 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, babs135 said:

Anyone stayed on her?  An online agent is offering the QM2 to Dubai in 2022 with 2 nights stay on the Queen Elizabeth  2.   Not a bad price either.  Currently booked on the QM2 for September 2021 but even this far out I'm pessimistic about it going ahead so looking at alternatives if we have to transfer.  Obviously hoping not to especially as we couldn't transfer the September cruise to the following year as the dates will not fit and we really want to do this particular cruise.

Personal opinion...

I am booked on the NYC-Norway-NCY 8-22-21. I fully expect the cruise to take place. Covid will still be an issue, but vaccines will be available by then. Expect some sort of testing regime plus vaccine expectations.

I will be disappointed if this cruise is canceled.

• 1 year later...

I noticed this announcement on Business Traveler:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/05/09/dubais-qe2-hotel-to-join-accors-m-gallery-collection/

Accor has taken over operation of the hotel, and will reflag it under the group’s M Gallery Hotel Collection following “further upgrades and renovations”.