Wow! First Class Domestic Airfare is a bargain!

Nashna

We opted to arrange our own air transportation for our April cruise.  I am amazed at the First Class pricing.  United First Class from Washington Dulles to SFO is just $489.00 per person.  First Class from Miami to Washington on American are just $349.00 per person.  When you factor in baggage and seat assignments, it becomes a huge bargain.  The flights are non-stop and non-refundable.  The tickets are changable for up to one year.

36 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We opted to arrange our own air transportation for our April cruise.  I am amazed at the First Class pricing.  United First Class from Washington Dulles to SFO is just $489.00 per person.  First Class from Miami to Washington on American are just $349.00 per person.  When you factor in baggage and seat assignments, it becomes a huge bargain.  The flights are non-stop and non-refundable.  The tickets are changable for up to one year.

Sadly  First class , domestic unless on a very few transcontinental routes is just slightly better than coach   seat maybe 2 inches wider and leg room only 3-4 inches more and recline +2 inches

...    If you have a UAL credit card  bags are free in any class..   The planes from MIA to IAD will be 737. or A330 or Md80  

Domestic first is today pretty much coach with free drinks  it is not even near business class international...

• Like 1

I absolutely agree that the First Class experience flying domestically can't compete with the international business or first class experience.  I do not have airline credit cards and have not accrued enough frequent flyer benefits to receive the allowance for two complimentary 70 lbs bags and seat assignments. I enjoy the extra perks such as early boarding, extra leg room and food service that are featured on first class domestic cross-country flights.  

• Like 2

Considering that some airlines are currently  charging $11 on some routes, $489 is not surprising for domestic first. We flew to Puerto Rico in July for $87pp roundtrip, and we are going there again over Thanksgiving week (when fares are usually at their peak) for $180pp roundtrip. 

Do keep in mind that airlines are limiting first class service considerably to comply with new Covid related procedures. I know that on Delta, inflight service on domestic flights is limited to sealed snack boxes. Up until about 2 months ago, all beverage service had been discontinued except for bottled water. They have now added a limited selection of beer and mini bottles of wine, but no sodas, liquors, or even coffee. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Do keep in mind that airlines are limiting first class service considerably to comply with new Covid related procedures. I know that on Delta, inflight service on domestic flights is limited to sealed snack boxes. Up until about 2 months ago, all beverage service had been discontinued except for bottled water. They have now added a limited selection of beer and mini bottles of wine, but no sodas, liquors, or even coffee. 

American first class is even worse. I flew round-trip Ohio to Orlando on AA last week, and out of 4 segments, no snacks were served and beverages were only served on one leg. (That was likely only due to the fact that we diverted from Orlando to Miami thanks to weather and the natives were getting restless.)  

My wife and I recently flew Delta Comfort Class. With the middle seat between us left open, if anything it seemed more spacious than first class. Not quite as wide or a seat or as much leg room, but both were sufficient. No special food or alcoholic beverages served in first class; indeed, Comfort Class passengers were offered a choice of white or red wine or (my choice) a nice cold can of IPA.  

A first class upgrade would have cost $500 pp each way. And by getting their AmEx card, no charge for first bag per person.

No reason whatsoever to buy first class tickets.

Well, IF you can get lie flat seats, the red eye return from Hawaii to the mainland or the NY-LA Red eye or other five hour plus flights might be worth it. But otherwise, no.

Edited by JPR

15 minutes ago, JPR said:

Well, IF you can get lie flat seats, the red eye return from Hawaii to the mainland or the NY-LA Red eye or other five hour plus flights might be worth it. But otherwise, no.

Do any airlines have the lie-flat seats on domestic? Yeah, maybe on a red-eye. Nah. I like my $$$ and points too much 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

Do any airlines have the lie-flat seats on domestic? Yeah, maybe on a red-eye. Nah. I like my $$$ and points too much 🙂

You’re most likely to find them on select transcontinental routes, like for example JFK to LAX. You do need to do your research because some flights on these routes may be on an international widebody jet, but others may be on domestic narrow bodies.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes, United has them on certain NY or Chicago to LAX flights and Hawaiian has them on their A330s in and out of Honolulu.

Edited by JPR

57 minutes ago, JPR said:

Yes, United has them on certain NY or Chicago to LAX flights and Hawaiian has them on their A330s in and out of Honolulu.

We used $$$ and points to waitlist, which cleared, for Polaris business from Buenos Aire to Houston on the 787 Dreamliner. It was THE most wonderful flight of my life.

United Polaris - Seat, Amenities, Routes, Lounges & More [2020]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

Yes  United  has LAX-NY and SFO -NY routes   called PS flights.     I lived in Hawaii for a decade.... there aint no lie flats to Hawaii.... most flights are 737'a now ... even the 777 and 767's are domestic seats   tight space and old fashioned.....Hawaii is now a domestic route....  and domestic first class is a joke   1-2 inch wide er seat 3-4 inch more recline and 4-5" more leg room and free drinks.............It is not the days of the 747 with ice sculptures,  carved ham and beef at your seat and huge Mai-tai's..... Them day are looooooooooong gone 

I would never book points or pay for domestic first EVER 

23 minutes ago, clo said:

We used $$$ and points to waitlist, which cleared, for Polaris business from Buenos Aire to Houston on the 787 Dreamliner. It was THE most wonderful flight of my life.

United Polaris - Seat, Amenities, Routes, Lounges & More [2020]

thats international.... and the config your showing is only on the 787-9 or 787-10    If your going LAX-sydney or MEL  its 787-8's     WAY different seat and config.

12 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

thats international.... and the config your showing is only on the 787-9 or 787-10    If your going LAX-sydney or MEL  its 787-8's     WAY different seat and config.

I had a little fan that plugs into a USB which was there. And the blanket and the duffet and two different pillows. Sure spoiled me 🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

there aint no lie flats to Hawaii

Actually Dan I flew on AA in a Lie flat from Honolulu. The thing of it is they don't go to LAX or PHX or SFO, but they do go to DFW. Since I usually have to go through DFW to go anywhere it worked for me.

If you care enough look at their schedule. 

Perhaps, several of you missed the point of my post.  

United First Class Confirmed one way from Washington Dulles to SFO                                                  Cost $489.00  First Class

United Economy (not plus)                                                                                                          $273.00

Baggage Charge (2 pieces at 50 lbs)   First Class is 2 free 70 lbs                                            80.00

Preferred aisle seat extra $50.00                                                                                                    50.00    Cost:  $403.00   Economy

I am not a frequent flyer.  I do not fly American or United Internationally.  My extra comfort level on a 7 hour and 35 minute flight, no worries about going over the 50 pound limt, early boarding, extra service, meals or snacks, cleaner restrooms, larger seats, extra leg room and a glass of cheap wine are worth the extra  $87.00 to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nashna said:

United First Class Confirmed one way from Washington Dulles to SFO                                                  Cost $489.00  First Class

United Economy (not plus)                                                                                                          $273.00

Baggage Charge (2 pieces at 50 lbs)   First Class is 2 free 70 lbs                                            80.00

Preferred aisle seat extra $50.00                                                                                                    50.00    Cost:  $403.00   Economy

I am not a frequent flyer.  I do not fly American or United Internationally.  My extra comfort level on a 7 hour and 35 minute flight, no worries about going over the 50 pound limt, early boarding, extra service, meals or snacks, cleaner restrooms, larger seats, extra leg room and a glass of cheap wine are worth the extra  $87.00 to me.

I agree

20 hours ago, Nashna said:

I agree  it  works for you  IAD to SFO is a long haul and your savings are correct in fact you might have added $75-90 for economy plus, in which case First would be cheaper than economy.     On some past occasions I ran into some sales where business or first  was actually cheaper than basic coach... so there are exceptions

I will also say that , for me  I fly coach on up to 5 hours     from 6-12  I fly Business  and 13+ first.....anywhere

Perhaps one of the reasons that the price is so low is that airlines have cut most of the amenities in the upper classes. No prepared food, no drinks, no open lounges in airports(int flights) etc. So basically you're getting early boarding, more space & free bags, which in your situation is a good deal. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

from 6-12  I fly Business 

I'm good to maybe 9 hours. I kinda figure the first and last hours aren't conducive to sleep what with announcements, drinks, food, so for me anyway 8 hours amount to under 6.

I might also add that the my first class ticket was also changable without a fee.    Will United reinstate their full meal service by the time I fly in April?  Will my cruise be able to sail from SFO next April?  Our future is in a state of flux.  We truly have no realistic way to know what will be possible in April , 2021.  The only thing I do know is...when I can sail again, I'm going!.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nashna said:

Will United reinstate their full meal service by the time I fly in April? 

That made me chuckle. I can't remember the last time - decades certainly -  that I didn't carry on my own (much better) food.