Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

5 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, It was a day scenic cruising in Prins Christian Sund, one of the most beautiful places on the planet, I think, and the weather was glorious when we went through (it isn't always).  Some more photos of that day:

1941473275_greatweather.jpg.b2c67c2f48728368a8576972ba7fcdf8.jpg

1591400024_mountainstotheleft.jpg.2ad910e80bb6e86d2161f45a32f21586.jpg

1026992564_mountains6.jpg.e3568b0c28aebb71cc1b5c722ea3cf15.jpg

Dave

wow, stunning !

1 hour ago, rotjeknor said:

Yep. Longyearbyen to be precise ! The next day we saw a few polar bears when we were cruising near Smeerenburg. The captain got a message from a small French cruise ship, I think it was L'Boreal, that polar bears were seen there. Instead of cruising around Moffen Island ( what's in a name...) we saw the polar bears.

That's wonderful. I was there in 2010 on the Prinsendam and the only polar bear was in the hotel lobby, stuffed like most of the ships guests. I remember the sign and also one that read: do not go beyond here without a weapon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetiredMustang said:

We were there with Eurodam in 2009.  The tender pier looked long, but it was slanted so that as the tide rose and fell, no matter when, they could only get one tender alongside at one time.  It made for a crush when six busloads of us came back from the Edinburgh Tattoo at the same time.  Have they changed the pier at all?

Dave

Not as far as I know. After high tide it’s a bit slippery. We were there august 2019 last time.

In 2017 with the Prinsendam, we docked in Rosyth on the other side of the river. 

43 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

That's wonderful. I was there in 2010 on the Prinsendam and the only polar bear was in the hotel lobby, stuffed like most of the ships guests. I remember the sign and also one that read: do not go beyond here without a weapon. 

You mean this one ! 

4D8B2651-FD42-4483-AF6B-565125C5FD13.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Here is one that is going to be very easy to at least one person who has posted on this thread.  What's the name of this beautiful place?

100_2847.jpg.b455ee167ba0df7506798dddb00bd54b.jpg

Dave

I waited and waited, but my fingers got itchy...... that is Cobh, Co Cork.😁 My home port!! haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I waited and waited, but my fingers got itchy...... that is Cobh, Co Cork.😁 My home port!! haha

Winner!  Yes, indeed, you were the one I thought of -- you live about as far from Cobh as I do from Seattle.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Cobh, and were glad we did not try to go to Galway to see where some of my ancestors emigrated from (one of my grandmothers was a Lynch {not my last name}, but a couple or so generations in the U.S. after the migration of the Famine.)  Cobh is a fine small city.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

It looks sort of Aegean-y, or of the eastern Med, but I don't recognize it.   You've stumped me.

Dave

6 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

It looks sort of Aegean-y, or of the eastern Med, but I don't recognize it.   You've stumped me.

Dave

Very near your post yesterday!  

15 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Winner!  Yes, indeed, you were the one I thought of -- you live about as far from Cobh as I do from Seattle.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Cobh, and were glad we did not try to go to Galway to see where some of my ancestors emigrated from (one of my grandmothers was a Lynch {not my last name}, but a couple or so generations in the U.S. after the migration of the Famine.)  Cobh is a fine small city.

Dave

Galway as a day trip is a long journey!  You may have noticed that our roads are not very straight 🙄

Galway city or county for ancestors?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Galway as a day trip is a long journey!  You may have noticed that our roads are not very straight 🙄

Galway city or county for ancestors?

City for my grandmother -- family lore has it she was part of the family of Lynch Castle (note to others -- not really a castle, but a wealthy merchant's house), but if her forebears emigrated, not the wealthy branch.  But the Irish in the U.S., like many immigrants, clustered near others who came from the same part of the world, so I believe I have some from the county as well.  Like above though, if they were of my branch of the family(ies), that means they were the poor relations who got on the boats (and survived the crossing), so at best I would have found second cousins many times removed if I had looked for them in Galway.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Very near your post yesterday!  

O.K, yesterday I posted follow-ups to PEI, and posted photos of Dubrovnik and Fremantle.  Your photos don't look like the areas around Perth or Charlottetown, so I'm guessing near Dubrovnik.  Maybe I'm being obtuse, but the photos are still not ringing bells (even the one in the tower).

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

City for my grandmother -- family lore has it she was part of the family of Lynch Castle (note to others -- not really a castle, but a wealthy merchant's house), but if her forebears emigrated, not the wealthy branch.  But the Irish in the U.S., like many immigrants, clustered near others who came from the same part of the world, so I believe I have some from the county as well.  Like above though, if they were of my branch of the family(ies), that means they were the poor relations who got on the boats (and survived the crossing), so at best I would have found second cousins many times removed if I had looked for them in Galway.

Dave

Interesting story!  Thank you.  

We often chat here about the mindset of those who emigrated and how the family remaining at home would have felt.  Nowadays with Zoom, WhatsApp etc contact is so easy, but back in those days when the emigrant left the nest, it was probably the last time that they were seen by the parent.  Letter writing was of course an important means of contact, but we know now how much it means to see and hear from those who have gone a distance.  They were all brave people, whether the decision to emigrate was voluntary or forced upon them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Where was Zuiderdam when Seabourn Quest passed?  (Sounds like the title of a Victorian thriller.)

32711136_SeabournQuestlongshot.jpg.78ee5fc4789862066c669aed3cae9775.jpg

When was your Zuiderdam cruise in Prins Christian Sund?  We were on the Seabourn Quest August of 2018 and scenic cruising there on August 9, 2018.  This was followed by about 6 stops in Greenland ports and some awesome Canadian ports.