John Bull - trains?

phabric

You have been a great help in the past answering everyone questions.

My brother in law is into trains - Stream trains, taking pictures., riding them. We will be staying in Southampton for Thursday pm and Friday + a Saturday on turn around day between cruises.

Is there any train places he can visit without a car or he can rent for a day near Southampton?

Edited by phabric

I'm sure JB will come up with lots of useful information as usual, but meanwhile you might like to look at the Heritage Railway Association website www.heritagerailways.com  The site includes a map with links to the individual railways, museums, tramways etc.  The Mid-Hants "Watercress" line is probably the nearest to Southampton, and the Swanage isn't too far.  Unfortunately, the railway on which I am a volunteer, the Severn Valley Railway, is a little too far away for your brother-in-law to make it there and back in a day.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Sekhmet

There isn't a heritage railway close to Southampton.

As per Sekhmet's post, there are two which are in comfortable range for a day-trip.

The Mid-Hants railway (aka The Watercress Line)

https://www.watercressline.co.uk/article.php/1389

Runs between Alton & Alresford, about 12 miles.

The round-trip is about 2hrs 30, but it travels slowly, with a 45 minute break at Ropley.

Ropley is a tiny place, but it's the location of the restoration workshops, and access to the workshops is included. 

Most convenient would be to book from New Alresford & back to New Alresford.

By public transport, simplest is train from Southampton Central to Winchester (10 - 15 minutes, about 3 trains per hour, return fare £8), then either taxi or local bus for the 8 miles from Winchester to New Alresford. About 15 mins by taxi, 20 mins by bus - but Winchester bus station is in The Broadway, near the Cathedral but a 3/4 of a mile / 15 min walk from the rail station. Nearest bus stop in Alresford is Broad Street, a 5 min walk from the heritage station.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/south/64/winchester-alton/xpao064.o

Alresford station is attractive & interesting - aim to arrive half-an-hour or more before your train departure.

Make it a worthwhile day by also exploring historic Winchester and its Cathedral.

(There's the alternative of train from Southampton Central to the other end of the Watercress Line at Alton, but it's a long way round, involves one or two changes, takes well over an hour and a half, and the train fare is £33)

The Swanage Railway

https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/userfiles/downloads/swanage_railway_2014.pdf

This is on the edge of the Jurassic Coast, and runs about 7 miles from  Norden, near Wareham to the little seaside resort of Swanage.

Take the hourly Weymouth-bound train from Southampton Central to Wareham, about 1 hr 10 mins, £20 return.

A heritage line bus takes you the 5 miles to Norden Station.

Make it a worthwhile day by also exploring the village of  Corfe Castle and its gaunt & ruined Norman castle. 

Renting a car for the day probably isn't worthwhile for the Watercress Line. There isn't a particularly interesting route from Southampton, and the obvious add-on is a visit to Winchester - where a car is more a hindrance than a help.

Renting a car for travel to the Swanage Line offers a selection of interesting diversions, including the New Forest ("new" in about 900 AD), the Jurassic Coast (Durdle Door, Lulworth Bay, world-famous Bovington Tank Museum & Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre, both near Wool, and Dorset Downs & villages.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Silly me - I forgot one.:classic_blush:

On the other side of the Solent, on the Isle of Wight.

Which is why I forgot it.:classic_wink:

https://iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

Red-Jet fast-ferry from Southampton Town Quay to Cowes takes 25 minutes, then an 8-mile / 15-minute taxi ride to Havenstreet station. (there's a bus service but it's infrequent, involves two changes and takes something over 2 hours :classic_sad:)

Could be combined with a visit to Queen Victoria's Osborne House  https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/osborne/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, John Bull said:

Silly me - I forgot one.:classic_blush:

On the other side of the Solent, on the Isle of Wight.

Which is why I forgot it.:classic_wink:

https://iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

Red-Jet fast-ferry from Southampton Town Quay to Cowes takes 25 minutes, then an 8-mile / 15-minute taxi ride to Havenstreet station. (there's a bus service but it's infrequent, involves two changes and takes something over 2 hours :classic_sad:)

Could be combined with a visit to Queen Victoria's Osborne House  https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/osborne/

Forgot one?  You do realize that not drinking that wonderful black brew (Guinness) allows your brain cells to atrophy and you soon forget things (even the route to the nearest pub).    Kathy and I miss seeing you and visiting the other side of the pond.  Perhaps someday you will allow us to return without having to hide in a hotel for 14 days.

Hank

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Forgot one?  You do realize that not drinking that wonderful black brew (Guinness) allows your brain cells to atrophy and you soon forget things (even the route to the nearest pub).    Kathy and I miss seeing you and visiting the other side of the pond.  Perhaps someday you will allow us to return without having to hide in a hotel for 14 days.

Hank

I think most people have forgotten the route to the pub, Hank. :classic_sad:

And if they haven't, they'll find it's been screwed-up by cycle-lanes, road closures, one-way sidewalks & such :classic_biggrin:

Our local is currently the kitchen - a short walk of about ten feet from my sofa & TV. No need to pre-book, no need to douse ourselves in sanitiser, no need for table service, no need to drink thro a mask, no need glower at folk who're not following the rules, no need to figure what 2 metres is in feet and inches. Poor drinks selection in the kitchen, but enough beers for 6 months and a cupboard-full of Aussie Shiraz. And of course none of the evil black mud :classic_tongue:

We'd be delighted if you & Kathy came over to this side of the Pond again, Hank. But whether you'd have to be imprisoned in a Premier Inn room for a couple of weeks isn't up to me - you'll have to ask BoJo.

Keep safe & sane. (I'm keeping safe :classic_wacko:)

Edited by John Bull

• 4 months later...

Maybe you can help again.  I switched our August 2021 cruise to May/June 2022.

I have stayed at Mercure hotel in Winchester. Thinking my travel family might like to stay in Winchester instead of Southampton as we also have Southampton as a port day for our second cruise.

On the Mercure website, it mentions a stream train as a attraction near Winchester.

Where is it?  How would get to it

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Maybe you can help again.  I switched our August 2021 cruise to May/June 2022.

I have stayed at Mercure hotel in Winchester. Thinking my travel family might like to stay in Winchester instead of Southampton as we also have Southampton as a port day for our second cruise.

On the Mercure website, it mentions a stream train as a attraction near Winchester.

Where is it?  How would get to it

I'm not John Bull obviously, but a quick Google search found this website.

https://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/listing/mid-hants-railway-watercress-line/

On 2/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, phabric said:

Thanks for the information 

Yep, that's the one. First on my list.

If you're staying at the Mercure, the bus station is just a few yards down the Broadway toward King Alfred's statue.  

Number 64 bus runs to New Alresford every half-hour, journey time 20 minutes, tickets about £7 return. Ask the driver to put you off at the Co-op - or there may be an indicator board in the bus telling you that. Then walk the same direction as the bus and you'll see a brown "Watercress Line" sign on your right. A five minute walk.

(Do double-check for any changes closer to the day).

Do pre-book the train trip, but no need to book the bus. 

Or a taxi will take about 15 minutes and up to £24 e/w. Pre-booked the night before (via hotel reception) is normally cheaper than from the rank in The Broadway. I don't think there's a taxi rank at the station, there may not even be one in Alresford - best to go armed with a taxi phone number, or arrange a return journey with your outbound driver.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

• 9 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 4:37 AM, Sekhmet said:

I'm sure JB will come up with lots of useful information as usual, but meanwhile you might like to look at the Heritage Railway Association website www.heritagerailways.com  The site includes a map with links to the individual railways, museums, tramways etc.  The Mid-Hants "Watercress" line is probably the nearest to Southampton, and the Swanage isn't too far.  Unfortunately, the railway on which I am a volunteer, the Severn Valley Railway, is a little too far away for your brother-in-law to make it there and back in a day.

Hope this helps. 

My nephew’s name is Severn…guess why…his father is a Severn Valley Railway enthusiast!  

On 11/24/2021 at 3:34 AM, ladysail2 said:

My nephew’s name is Severn…guess why…his father is a Severn Valley Railway enthusiast!  

His father obviously is a good man!  And, Severn does seem to work as a name - it might not have done so well had father been a supporter of the Bluebell, the Lavender (both in Sussex) or the Poppy Line in Norfolk.  Or the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway in Cumbria, popularly known as Little Ratty! (La'al Ratty in the local dialect).

13 hours ago, Sekhmet said:

His father obviously is a good man!  And, Severn does seem to work as a name - it might not have done so well had father been a supporter of the Bluebell, the Lavender (both in Sussex) or the Poppy Line in Norfolk.  Or the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway in Cumbria, popularly known as Little Ratty! (La'al Ratty in the local dialect).

🤣🤣