Getting off the ship

Slyfox16

19 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Greenland is probably out as a destination for cruises.   Is there an airport in Southern Greenland?   I certainly don’t see one on any airline schedules.   There is or maybe was a military base in extreme Northern Greenland on the west coast but don’t think that would be any help in transporting ill cruise passengers home.

We have taken walking tours on Celebrity before and never had more than 25 participants.   I can’t imagine walking around with 100 people in Greenland unless that is a requirement for Greenland.

Greenland does have air service.  Everything from tiny Cessnas to an Airbus.  See below.  

Air Greenland is Greenland’s national airline. With Air Greenland, you can get flight tickets from Copenhagen as well as Reykjavik. Air Greenland operates almost all domestic flights. When you fly with Air Greenland from Copenhagen (non-stop), you’ll be seated in a comfortable Airbus plane, where you enjoy full service including catering and baggage. Air Greenland also operates the Reykjavik-Nuuk route in the summer period.

51 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Actually, I think it will be less options.  The tours will be of the drive around on a bus and glimpse the sites with an occasional stop for pictures.  

I hope not, but I guess we will need to wait and see.  I still think (and hope!) that Celebrity will be more creative than that, as I can't see too many people willing to take that type of a tour and if there are no tours there are no $$.  This is especially true in the Caribbean.  Not a whole lot to just see by driving by on a tour bus.  

On 9/28/2020 at 12:13 PM, Slyfox16 said:

If Celebrity requires you to do only the ship's tours and not private ones, anyone have any idea if you would be able to go into the port by yourself just to shop?

When the MSC "Grandiosa" sailed recently, passengers had to book ship tours only to stay in "a safe zone with others", so if passengers were allowed to explore the port on their own, it would not be considered a "safe zone".  A family on MSC's sailing was not allowed to re-board because they left the ship's tour.  They had to make arrangements to get home on their own!  Therefore, it looks like we might not be allowed to wander around on our own or shop.  IMO only.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I also dont believe that limiting the number of people on board will somehow change the situation. I mean cmon, if someone is sick it wont matter whether there were 5 or a hundred people on board. Short-term cruising sounds very nice btw. Need to consider

The purpose of limiting the number of passengers is to facilitate social distancing, which does reduce the transmission of the virus.

37 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I hope not, but I guess we will need to wait and see.  I still think (and hope!) that Celebrity will be more creative than that, as I can't see too many people willing to take that type of a tour and if there are no tours there are no $$.  This is especially true in the Caribbean.  Not a whole lot to just see by driving by on a tour bus.  

If their concern is keeping everyone safe inside a bubble can't see any tours where you get close to locals.  No shopping either except maybe inside terminal with merchants tested frequently.  Altogether not much revenue for cruise lines.   Upside for local gov'ts is they get to collect port charges.

I have a Celebrity cruise to Iceland in Aug but wonder if these restrictions will still be in effect then.  I too will consider cancelling if I cannot take a tour on my own but have to evaluate my private rental car tour vs the ship ones.  

Ric

That would be up to the port country and what their protocols are, along with Celebrity. Example: With MSC in Italy, it was the Italian government that set the rule about cruise line tours, and no shopping on your own,

There are no flights to or from Greenland from North or South America so repatriating you home if you fall sick would not be possible unless you live in Denmark or Iceland.   The longest runway in Greenland is 7500 ft and the airports are often closed because of weather conditions.   The one with the longest runway has to constantly inspect the ru way because it is collapsing because of the permafrost melting.

32 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There are no flights to or from Greenland from North or South America so repatriating you home if you fall sick would not be possible unless you live in Denmark or Iceland.   The longest runway in Greenland is 7500 ft and the airports are often closed because of weather conditions.   The one with the longest runway has to constantly inspect the ru way because it is collapsing because of the permafrost melting.

Not hard to fly to Iceland or Denmark from Greenland and then to the USA.  Weather can be an issue, but if weather was not good the ship would likely cancell the port stop.  

Lots of places require a stop or two on the way home.  

I do think the cruise will be cancelled as two other port calls are two very small towns.  Also simple to eliminate as New York to Southampton then immediately return to New York.

• Like 1

Not hard to fly to Iceland or Denmark from Greenland and then to the USA.  Weather can be an issue, but if weather was not good the ship would likely cancell the port stop.  
Lots of places require a stop or two on the way home.  
I do think the cruise will be cancelled as two other port calls are two very small towns.  Also simple to eliminate as New York to Southampton then immediately return to New York.

I wish it was New York, as then I could hop in a cab. But it’s Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 9/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, Tapi said:

Knowing that the requirement for shore excursions is expected, I have canceled my original cruise for 2021 and replaced it with a simple and inexpensive cruise to the Bahamas for 7 nights. I’ll stay on the ship in Nassau (or maybe take a snorkeling tour) and will get off the ship at the private island which I’ll be visiting twice the same week and which most likely won’t require excursions. Hopefully the impact of these new procedures will be minimal in such an itinerary. 

I don’t wan to give up on cruising because of the restrictions, but si will adjust the way that I cruise until these restrictions are eased. I’ll save my money for a better cruise for a later date.

I think this is the best and healthiest option for cruising for the time being...

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 12:13 PM, Slyfox16 said:

If Celebrity requires you to do only the ship's tours and not private ones, anyone have any idea if you would be able to go into the port by yourself just to shop?

I continue to be surprised by the naiveté of people who don't understand the threat from COVID-19.  The primary reason fro the small groups is to protect both you and the local citizenry.  The locals to want to catch the virus from you and I'm equally sure you don't want to catch it from them.  The tours, expected to be small groups, have prearranged routes, stops and are designed to limit contact - both ways.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2020 at 2:17 PM, Tapi said:

Knowing that the requirement for shore excursions is expected, I have canceled my original cruise for 2021 and replaced it with a simple and inexpensive cruise to the Bahamas for 7 nights. I’ll stay on the ship in Nassau (or maybe take a snorkeling tour) and will get off the ship at the private island which I’ll be visiting twice the same week and which most likely won’t require excursions. Hopefully the impact of these new procedures will be minimal in such an itinerary. 

I don’t wan to give up on cruising because of the restrictions, but si will adjust the way that I cruise until these restrictions are eased. I’ll save my money for a better cruise for a later date.

We did the same. Our focus will be relaxing on ship or at a beach via ship transportation. 

• Like 1

It definitely affects our plans for a quick 5n Key West-Cozumel.   MIL & FIL winter in Key West, so when we stop in we visit and tour with them.  In Cozumel, we take a cab into town and walk back to the ship, stopping for some food and Margaritas at Ernestos.   No desire to do a ship excursion in either location, and it would suck to HAVE TO stay on the ship.

I do wonder what they would do about their port shopping promos and partners that they pitch so heavily. 

• Like 1