Arcadia seen off Southwold

London-Calling

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

never heard of Southwold, had to look it up!

Jean you need to visit, it is a lovely place.  My husband persuaded me to go there many years ago because it was his favourite holiday destination when he was a child, until I went there my favourite place was South Devon because we always went to visit my grandfather's family there when I was a child.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Jean you need to visit, it is a lovely place.  My husband persuaded me to go there many years ago because it was his favourite holiday destination when he was a child, until I went there my favourite place was South Devon because we always went to visit my grandfather's family there when I was a child.

Can confirm that, my other place, to which we have escaped to, overlooks Southwold, can clearly see the lighthouse.

But don,t tell everyone!

Fred called there about three years back.  I think it was on an around UK cruise from Liverpool and I greatly regretted we did not book it.  We went on a Fred "maiden ports mystery cruise" a couple of months before that cruise and I was convinced Southwold was our first port.  I got quite put off when we sailed right past and headed for the Baltic the next day.  I had guessed a fair number of ports on that mystery cruise, but not the first one.  Great cruise though with so many unusual ports. 

Would love to go to Southwold - maybe next year, or even over the winter if we are let out.  Very high COVID numbers here so just waiting to be totally grounded, though Boris maybe more bothered about the economy.  

Edited by tring

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thank you wowzz. There is only so much that can be said about Arcadia being seen off Southwold but I'm sure we'd all welcome dorsetlad's contribution to the debate.

I see the P&O page as a bit like being in a pub. Someone will mention Arcadia and Suffolk, someone mentions they live near there, and so the conversation starts, and ebbs and flows, to use a nautical term!

To me, that is the appeal - yes there are forums that stick strictly to the subject in hand, but where's the fun in that?Thanks to this forum I have seen the glory of Kalos's caravan, laughed at Andy's jokes, got fat looking  at Graham's meals, and had a vicarious holiday in Italy thanks to Brian. 

Plus made online friends,  so I make no apology for posting off topic, as and when the situation arises.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I see the P&O page as a bit like being in a pub. Someone will mention Arcadia and Suffolk, someone mentions they live near there, and so the conversation starts, and ebbs and flows, to use a nautical term!

To me, that is the appeal - yes there are forums that stick strictly to the subject in hand, but where's the fun in that?Thanks to this forum I have seen the glory of Kalos's caravan, laughed at Andy's jokes, got fat looking  at Graham's meals, and had a vicarious holiday in Italy thanks to Brian. 

Plus made online friends,  so I make no apology for posting off topic, as and when the situation arises.

Exactly, particularly in the current difficult circumstances. It has certainly kept me going during some ups and downs, and the evidence is there that it has done the same for others. 

To keep the purist(s) happy, I live about an hour from Southwold, but haven't been down there to have a look. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Exactly, particularly in the current difficult circumstances. It has certainly kept me going during some ups and downs, and the evidence is there that it has done the same for others. 

To keep the purist(s) happy, I live about an hour from Southwold, but haven't been down there to have a look. 

You must go, especially now that the Londoners will have returned home. 

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, she has shown no evidence to prove her case. It could just as well be (and probably more likely) that the restart of the academic year is far more responsible. But shutting universities is less politically correct.

If you look at all the hot spots in the North, not too many have universities, and most of the English ones only started returning well after the start of the spikes in infections. I agree that many of the students probably brought it with them, but it's more than likely that final summer parties before they went back to Uni were the main cause of their infections. As to showing evidence, I am not certain that anyone knows why these sudden spikes started, other than the general loosening of controls that started in mid July.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you look at all the hot spots in the North, not too many have universities, and most of the English ones only started returning well after the start of the spikes in infections. I agree that many of the students probably brought it with them, but it's more than likely that final summer parties before they went back to Uni were the main cause of their infections. As to showing evidence, I am not certain that anyone knows why these sudden spikes started, other than the general loosening of controls that started in mid July.

Not quite sure if you are right about universities and hotspots. Universities are so ubiquitous these days that just about every town has one.Virtually every lockdown area has one university,and places like Liverpool, Manchester etc have numerous universities. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I totally agree, that is why I started contributing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not quite sure if you are right about universities and hotspots. Universities are so ubiquitous these days that just about every town has one.Virtually every lockdown area has one university,and places like Liverpool, Manchester etc have numerous universities. 

The start time of all these Universities was far later than the spikes, the first of the lockdowns were introduced on July 31st, and the tightening of these was in early September, none of the Uni's returned until about mid Sept. so the return was definitely not the cause of higher infection levels.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The start time of all these Universities was far later than the spikes, the first of the lockdowns were introduced on July 31st, and the tightening of these was in early September, none of the Uni's returned until about mid Sept. so the return was definitely not the cause of higher infection levels.

In that case, we can at least stop blaming the students for the rise in cases.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

It reminds me of working in an open plan office.

Various conversations happen throughout the day. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I just listen without joining in, and other times I turn out if I’m not interested 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It reminds me of working in an open plan office.

Various conversations happen throughout the day. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I just listen without joining in, and other times I turn out if I’m not interested 

Good analogy. Mind you, I worked in an open plan office for a while,  and hated it! 

• Like 1