Anyone else just giving up on a cruise for a while?

Duanerice1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Why is it not?  It worked in Wuhan, China.

It has? Do you actually believe the numbers they're reporting? The country responsible for the virus with 1.5 billion people has reported less than 5,000 cases in the past 7 months, and only 20 cases yesterday. If you believe any of these numbers coming out of China well i've got some oceanfront land to sell you in Nebraska.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

It has? Do you actually believe the numbers they're reporting? The country responsible for the virus with 1.5 billion people has reported less than 5,000 cases in the past 7 months, and only 20 cases yesterday. If you believe any of these numbers coming out of China well i've got some oceanfront land to sell you in Nebraska.

Wow, timing is everything!  I have been looking for a vacation home in one of the fly over states.  Have you listed on Zillow?  If so, can you send the link and please tell me the beach chairs are included.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Wow, timing is everything!  I have been looking for a vacation home in one of the fly over states.  Have you listed on Zillow?  If so, can you send the link and please tell me the beach chairs are included.

l - will you list it on Air B&B??? LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Too soon to book or really think about cruising.  As more people get sick and die, cruising is not a good option.  This virus has changed everything.  I stay home and only go out for essentials. I wear a mask.  I am fear getting too close to people.  I get upset if people come too close.  I am afraid.   After being stuck on a cruise in March that was denied entry into several ports, I am wondering if I will ever be relaxed enough to sail.  I used to cruise 4-5 times a year.  For now, I stay home and wait for safer times.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I am afraid.   After being stuck on a cruise in March that was denied entry into several ports, I am wondering if I will ever be relaxed enough to sail.  I used to cruise 4-5 times a year.  For now, I stay home and wait for safer times.  

I can understand your thoughts. Sounds like you have PCTSS,  Pandemic Cruise Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Hope time and a vaccine will relieve your fears.

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I can understand your thoughts. Sounds like you have PCTSS,  Pandemic Cruise Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Hope time and a vaccine will relieve your fears.

Never knew I had a syndrome.   I loved cruising until March. Wish that I had stayed home.  Being stuck at sea, afraid to do anything, was awful. Going nowhere, unable to enjoy ports, most venues closed is not a great vacation.   I will likely travel again after a vaccine is widely administered. For now, I feel safe at home.  

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Never knew I had a syndrome.   I loved cruising until March. Wish that I had stayed home.  Being stuck at sea, afraid to do anything, was awful. Going nowhere, unable to enjoy ports, most venues closed is not a great vacation.   I will likely travel again after a vaccine is widely administered. For now, I feel safe at home.  

I understand how anyone who went through that would feel like you do.  I am glad you are ok.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, DaCruiseBug said:

Thank you!  Heck no, I don't believe their numbers.  Hope you get lots of offers on your oceanfront!

4 minutes ago, dlfntx said:

Thank you!  Heck no, I don't believe their numbers.  Hope you get lots of offers on your oceanfront!

Then you clearly do not understand how China is run.  I do because I have first hand knowledge.  To start there are not 1.5B people in China, there are 1.39B.  Not going into the where it came from, responsibility etc, that will be decided and discussed adnauseum in the years to come.  In the past two weeks China has tested 10 million + people, it is mandatory, not a choice if you want to "freely" move around the country.  If you test negative, you are "green", go about and travel etc, "freely", if you are "yellow", your movements are restricted, if you are "red" go home and see us again in 2 weeks.  This is not intended as a comparison between Communist country v Democracy, just intended to let you know what and how China has been doing for many many months to deal with this.  They have bbeen doing a far better job with this than the US because of their system.  Right or wrong I make no judgment, but it is a fact. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Then you clearly do not understand how China is run.  I do because I have first hand knowledge.  To start there are not 1.5B people in China, there are 1.39B.  Not going into the where it came from, responsibility etc, that will be decided and discussed adnauseum in the years to come.  In the past two weeks China has tested 10 million + people, it is mandatory, not a choice if you want to "freely" move around the country.  If you test negative, you are "green", go about and travel etc, "freely", if you are "yellow", your movements are restricted, if you are "red" go home and see us again in 2 weeks.  This is not intended as a comparison between Communist country v Democracy, just intended to let you know what and how China has been doing for many many months to deal with this.  They have bbeen doing a far better job with this than the US because of their system.  Right or wrong I make no judgment, but it is a fact. 

Oh yes, of course. Why would the country that purposely delayed releasing data and information to the international community about Covid-19 be dishonest about their numbers? Nah...China is 100% legit.

• Like 1

China, I trust nothing about them and most certainly nothing related to this virus.

China is the source of many viruses, many of the destructive pests etc as well as attempts to destroy democracy.

I would trust 0% of anything that originates in that country.

Hence why no one I know has ever travelled to China on principle. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

China, I trust nothing about them and most certainly nothing related to this virus.

China is the source of many viruses, many of the destructive pests etc as well as attempts to destroy democracy.

I would trust 0% of anything that originates in that country.

Hence why no one I know has ever travelled to China on principle. 

I was a partner in a company that negotiated a contract with the Chinese government in the late 1990's. After two years of getting screwed over by the Chicoms we pulled out of the deal. I personally lost over $400,000 and learned a good lesson, do not trust the Chinese on anything.  They do not believe in the rule of law and  the sanctity of contracted deals. They are one of the most corrupt countries  in the world and yes look back at how many viruses over the last 30 years have originated in China. It doesn't take a Brainiac to know they have lied to the world about Covid 19 and their infection and mortality rates from the very beginning. I refuse to ever travel to or in China and try hard to never buy anything made in China.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

terrydtx, OMG, your loss.  I am so sorry for that, yikes.

Yep, my subdivision is 60% new Canadian Chinese folks mostly working high tech and earning big $. To the last one, they detest China and they will not buy stuff made in China. These are people who were born in China.

As I posted, none of my friends or I have travelled to China on principle given what they are about. 

There are many people like us out there terrydtx, stay well!

40 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

terrydtx, OMG, your loss.  I am so sorry for that, yikes.

Yep, my subdivision is 60% new Canadian Chinese folks mostly working high tech and earning big $. To the last one, they detest China and they will not buy stuff made in China. These are people who were born in China.

As I posted, none of my friends or I have travelled to China on principle given what they are about. 

There are many people like us out there terrydtx, stay well!

Thank you.  I flew to Beijing and or Shanghai  twice a month for almost 3 years, but I got over my loss and got into another line of business that turned out to be very profitable. While things were good we were treated by the Chinese officials like hero's, once things started going bad they would literally turn their backs on us and walk out of meetings. At one of our last meetings we told our Chinese partners we were going to file law suits against them and they basically said good luck with that since they controlled the court system in China. and any judgments in the USA would be unenforceable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Let’s put it this way.  Seeing as I’m working from home through next summer, seems impossible to believe there will be any sense of normal and hence any cruising anytime soon.  Just doesn’t add up in my opinion.

Carnival cruises sure may be for even longer.  Federal judge in FL may shut them down until January from the previous judgment aginst them in the repeated skirting of pollution  maritime laws.  Looks like she will decide withiin the week based on article I read today.  Good on her, Carnival Corp and ships are a cesspool, IMO.  

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you.  I flew to Beijing and or Shanghai  twice a month for almost 3 years, but I got over my loss and got into another line of business that turned out to be very profitable. While things were good we were treated by the Chinese officials like hero's, once things started going bad they would literally turn their backs on us and walk out of meetings. At one of our last meetings we told our Chinese partners we were going to file law suits against them and they basically said good luck with that since they controlled the court system in China. and any judgments in the USA would be unenforceable.

Beijing and Shanghai are two of the most beautiful citites I have ever visited.  Agree on the Chinese Gvt too, but our current leaders have done the very best they can to minimize COVID, withhold information and pretend it will magically disaapear by Easter, then it was by 4th of July, then it was by,  jeez I don't know...dictators do this, they lie to their people.

48 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Beijing and Shanghai are two of the most beautiful citites I have ever visited.  Agree on the Chinese Gvt too, but our current leaders have done the very best they can to minimize COVID, withhold information and pretend it will magically disaapear by Easter, then it was by 4th of July, then it was by,  jeez I don't know...dictators do this, they lie to their people.

Beautiful? When I was there I was too busy coughing from all the pollution and smog in the air to really notice much to be honest.

6 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Beautiful? When I was there I was too busy coughing from all the pollution and smog in the air to really notice much to be honest.

Oh Meryl Streep, don't you already have enough academy awards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The air pollution in Beijing is about 7-8 times greater than in New York City. Academy awards? It's so bad sometimes you can barely see a few hundred feet.

In the 3 years I traveled to Beijing I remember only seeing a "blue" sky maybe once,  people wore masks in the streets not for a virus  but for the terrible pollution. 

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

In the 3 years I traveled to Beijing I remember only seeing a "blue" sky maybe once,  people wore masks in the streets not for a virus  but for the terrible pollution. 

I know, I have been there and experienced it, while masking up, much like I do now.  Still does not negate the beauty and history of Beijing and Shangai.

We're finding that there are several issues that have us looking at late 2021 at the earliest or more likely 2022 for our next cruise.  

First is the risk of taking flights anywhere - currently 60-70 flights per month just here in our province with proven Covid cases on board, so until there's a vaccine we'll only consider ports we can drive to.  

Second is the lack of stability of schedules and fleets - too many ongoing cancellations, closed ports, sales of ships, juggling of cruise schedules etc..  After the length of time it took to get refunds this spring, we're not going to be paying any money to anyone with the current near-certainty that a booking will be cancelled.

Third is the progress of the virus - I don't think we'll see a proven vaccine and be able to see new cases dropping dramatically until summer 2021 at the earliest, so little point in our going cruising before then.  

Fourth is masking all day on board, not being able to explore ports on our own, and along with the questionable distancing possible in the dining room, theatre, pool deck etc., it does not make for a low-stress holiday, especially given the cost.

And finally, fifth, if we test positive at pier side, how do we get home again, and do we get a refund - no word from any cruise lines on that.

So, driving holidays for now, saving plenty while not cruising, and we're just patiently waiting.  Pandemics take a while to run their course.

• Like 1