Memories on this Date

bennybear

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

In 2012 the Westerdam has on it's way to Ft. Lauderdale the crossing was nice & another adventure was coming to an end.

Those are great photos!  The special dessert buffets held around the mid-ship's pool have always been a highlight of any cruise that I have sailed when they are available.  Being a 2nd seating diner, though, usually, there is very little room in the tummy for much of the goodies.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

In 2012 the Westerdam has on it's way to Ft. Lauderdale the crossing was nice & another adventure was coming to an end.

Those are great photos!  The special dessert buffets held around the mid-ship's pool have always been a highlight of any cruise that I have sailed when they are available.  Being a 2nd seating diner, though, usually, there is very little room in the tummy for much of the goodies.  

• Like 1

2008 on this date, the Amsterdam was docked at Pier 92 in New York.  Some of the guests were disembarking while guests were embarking for the repositioning voyage from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver or Seattle.  (Don't remember which was the final port.)  

Shortly after tying up at the Pier, a small plane flew over the ship with a banner trailing that said "Welcome Home Amsterdam Voyagers".  No announcement or notice that this would happen.  Friends and I were having breakfast around the mid-ship's pool; the dome cover was open.  We were at the right spot and at the right time to see this mini-event!  Since they were disembarking that morning, it was just the perfect way for our cruise to end.  

Time to sail and that proved to be unusually interesting.  As the Amsterdam backed into the Hudson, her stern must have gotten caught in a Southbound current in the River.  As the bow cleared the pier, her stern was angled maybe at a 25-30 degree angle downriver.  We were moving downriver sideways for a brief period of time until the bow began to head South.  We were abreast of the Circle Line Pier before the ship was in its normal orientation to sail downriver.  

It was a beautiful day in New York; weather was perfect.  Walking around, I was surprised to see that the Sheraton Motor Inn across from the cruise ship piers had become the Consulate for the People's Republic of China.  Had stayed there the night before my first two cruises on Rotterdam V.  I was impressed with what the City of New York had done to make that area along the waterfront tourist/people friendly and inviting.  I suspect that the area is even nicer today.  

• Like 3

It's Happy Hour time for me in the Crow's Nest prior to my 2nd seating dinner on the 2008 Amsterdam's Grand World Voyage.  A Golden Anniversary occasion for HAL's world cruises and a voyage that is approaching its conclusion.

We are sailing in view of the coast of Florida during this time.  During dinner, Amsterdam entered the Port Everglades' channel, sailed through the turning basin, and docked at Pier 4.  We still had an overnight aboard and there was still entertainment during the evening.  

Notable to me on this final night:  two of the gentlemen at my table during dinner "got into a heated discussion" as had happened previously on other occasions.  If my GWV table did not qualify as the "most inconsistent compatible table during a GWV", I am unsure what table would qualify.  

"Roy!  I undoubtedly called!   (Our excellent Wine Steward), I'll have another glass or two...of wine"
when these eruptions would occur.  This MDR table was the most odd of any that I have experienced in my years of cruising.  

• Like 3

Thank you Benny Bear for the wonderful photos of your cruise to Japan. I would love  to visit Japan, and had hoped for a cruise there this year, but it is not to be. Maybe next April. In the mean time I will just enjoy the beautiful scenery from your pictures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisybertie said:

Thank you Benny Bear for the wonderful photos of your cruise to Japan. I would love  to visit Japan, and had hoped for a cruise there this year, but it is not to be. Maybe next April. In the mean time I will just enjoy the beautiful scenery from your pictures. 

You are very welcome!  We all have to travel virtually for a little while longer.  We absolutely fell in love and hope to return perhaps next year! 

At this hour on this date, I was en route home on Delta following my 2008 Grand World Voyage.  A friend picked me up at DAY, stopped at Kroger's for some groceries, and walked into my home at 11:15 P. M.  A glass or more (?) of wine preceded my retiring for the evening as I began to think:  my God, where have I been and what have I done!  A long held dream had been fulfilled.  

The next morning, I opened my window's curtains.  Much to my surprise--and delight--I saw that a robin family had taken up residence on my kitchen's windowsill.  Nest made; eggs laid; Ms. Robin was on the nest.  It was most interesting to watch the events that happened in the days that followed.

I happened to be at the right place, at the right time, when the last baby robin--which seemed to have been the weakest of the group--"fell out of the nest" onto the windowsill.  I watched as the bird fell off the windowsill;  I thought:  that's the end of that bird.  Then, I saw that he/she got the wings working and off the bird flew!  

That helped to make a memorable cruise for me that much more memorable!  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

These pictures are to commemorate those who made the ultimate sacrifice back on this day in 1944. The pictures were taken on different cruises in different years.

DSC_4022.JPG

DSC_4043 Stitch - Copy.jpg

DSC_4101.JPG

DSC_4118.JPG

DSC_4141.JPG

DSC_4176.JPG

DSC_4201.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0644.JPG

DSC_4019.JPG

DSC_4214.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ski ww said:

These pictures are to commemorate those who made the ultimate sacrifice back on this day in 1944. The pictures were taken on different cruises in different years.

DSC_4022.JPG

DSC_4043 Stitch - Copy.jpg

DSC_4101.JPG

DSC_4118.JPG

DSC_4141.JPG

DSC_4176.JPG

DSC_4201.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0644.JPG