HAPPY TOPIC!! Most memorable cruise moment - let’s hear your funny or just happy stories!!

alsa

I’ll start!  My most memorable moment must be the first time I stood in front of a cruise ship and simply stood in awe at the sheer size of it - still feel the same every time I’m about to board -  nothing can compare to that excitement!😊👏🏻☺️☀️

Edited by alsa
  • Like 4

Hi....wow ....there has been so many but the one that sticks in my mind most.....surprisingly....is being docked at Liverpool and being on top deck of a cruise ship and being level with the top of the Liver building and the building 's statues.....seeing the building from a totally different perspective just took us back a bit

• Like 2

Many happy memories, seeing the ship for the first time is magical every time. Seeing hundreds of flying fish when we were sat on our balcony in the Caribbean is another special memory. There are too many more to mention and hopefully some to come in the future

Michelle

• Like 1

Pauline and I still chuckle about the Ameican lady on a Princess ship with her walkie talkie wandering around the bow area, asking where on earth her husband was, saying I have been all over the aft area and you are definitely not here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few years ago we were doing the T A crossing  on the Azura .
With plenty of sea days it was decided that we would have a
nice relaxing meal in the Glass House with a few drinks.
Looking through the menu I had decided on the steak and 
Mrs Kalos was still pondering on her choice, at that moment 
our waiter came back to our table to take our food order.

The waiter was a nice Indian lad quietly spoken with a strong accent.
Mrs Kalos was still deciding and asked me to order my choices .
It went something like this ....
" I will have the ribeye steak please ,well done "
Waiter- " Ribeye steak ,well done and any sauce sir ?"
I would like Peppercorn sauce please .
At this point Mrs Kalos looked at the waiter and said..
"Could I also have the same please ? "

The waiter smiling and jotting down our orders  looked at 
Mrs Kalos and said " Of course Marrrm ,Ribeye steak ,well done and 
the sauce for you as well ."
Mrs Kalos gave the waiter a smile and thanked him .
The waiter  asked her " Cardamon ? "
Mrs kalos  "No thanks I want peppercorn please"
The waiter  " Yes Marrrm ,that will be and you have  Cardamom ? "
Looking a little disappointed  and gazing over the table Mrs Kalos 
said to me " but I want peppercorn same as you "
At this point I explained to her that she could have peppercorn 
and the waiter is asking for the card you have been twiddling in 
your hands. The waiter is saying "Card maddam and not Cardamon." :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Going through the straights of Gibraltar on Indy getting ready for dinner .I shouted out to DW, come quick there are hundreds of dolphins coming towards the ship. I can't, I haven't got any clothes on." Don't worry, they won't mind"😁

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Our funniest was in Rome across the road from the Vatican.

We had Pauline's late mam in a wheelchair (Angina) and the traffic was scary.

Suddenly all the traffic stopped and a lorry driver waved us across the road 

Paulines mam suddenly jumped out of the wheelchair and ran across the road towards the Vatican.

The lorry drivers mouth hung open in amazement as well as the other drivers and we put our arms up and shouted

It's A Miracle.

Graham

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

I’ve got lots of good memories, but the one that sticks in my mind most is from our first cruise.

We were on Aurora, and we spent the first sea days getting used to on board life, then had our first port stop of Barcelona. It was all great and we were really enjoying it. 

Our next stop was Monte Carlo. We were at anchor, and I went out on to the balcony first thing in the morning, and saw the whole of Monte Carlo spread out in front of me. I was completely thrilled, and the realisation hit in a flash - cruising was the life for me! 

• Like 10

One of my funniest and memorable moments was on a Princess cruise from Canada, down the east coast of America. There were lots of American passengers and they were always lovely and very amusing. One day at lunch on a table for eight, I said to my husband that the gentleman across from me was staring at me and I just knew he was going to say something. Sure enough he said to a Ian, excuse me sir but could I say something to your wife?  Ian looked at me and said yes. The gentleman turned to me and said ‘Ma’am you look just like Doris Day did 10 years ago’ I thanked him and said that was very kind especially as my mother was always being told she looked like her. Later on I looked up how old Doris Day was , she was at that time 94 - I was 66!!!!! I was still happy with the compliment though as my mother had died a few months earlier and it gave us a laugh and cheered me up. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Terrace pool on Canberra was the juniors’ pool. There was an hour mid afternoon when they lowered the water level so that parents’ could go in with their non swimming children. This particular day Canberra was bowling along at a good speed ( compared to today!) and was rolling gently and pitching a bit but nothing too serious. The pool water however seemed to resonate with the ship’s motion and a hefty wave built up in the pool. A girl decided to jump in from the side (which was quite a way above the waterline due to the lowered water level); the wave caused the pool tide to ‘go out’ and there was a thundering dong as the unfortunate girl hit the bottom. Silence. Then shrieks of laughter. Fortunately the girl was fine but the pool level wasn’t lowered for the rest of the cruise. 
The pitching of Canberra also embarrassed me on my first cruise. About 3 days out I jumped on the weighing scale which were aft of the Main longe. I’d put on about 2 stone in three days!  I decided to give up my early morning danish & coffee - pre breakfast & about a week laterI had lost all the weight & more!  Then it dawned; ship accelerating up as it pitched and your weight goes up, as the ship goes down, so does your weight. Should have paid more attention during physics lessons!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the 'posh' table on Aurora with a retired senior banker, an ex police commander and their wives on a Christmas Market cruise. 

The bankers wife, I won't name her, (lovely lady, very posh) came back from a day walking around Amsterdam with the munchies and couldn't stop talking, feeling very peculiar, she couldn't understand it... 

They only stopped for coffee and cake... 🎂😊

Andy 

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Loving this idea for a thread !!

My happy story was December 2009 about to board Arcadia on my first ever cruise and seeing Arcadia at Ocean Terminal in Southampton and WOWing to myself at the size of her - I phoned my parents and had to tell them that the ship is HUGE - Been on bigger ships since but I was WOW`D at the size 

On Azura (my 2nd ever cruise) in Flam in Norway, I was stood in the "clam shell" at the bow of the ship, as Azura moved away from the dock and turned around to head out - I didnt even realise we were moving until Azura turned around in the Fjords to head out to sea.... Also when docking in Flam, I`d got off the ship and was in awe of the mountains 

3rd Cruise, 2nd time on Azura also in 2012.......

Med Cruise this time, One day I was in Spain, next day France, next day Italy and a few days later I was in Portugal

So many incredible places, too many amazing stories to tell 

Heres hoping cruising can continue in the future

7 Cruises, 5 ships, 15 Countries, 17 ports, 2 cruiselines 

• Like 3

On a cruise to South America and Antartica in 2008 we were due to spend a full day at Port Stanley in the Falklands.

In the morning the sea was rough and the tenders could not be used, the Captain was debating to sail away.

This is not unusual in the Falklands, only a few days before the QE2 had passed by without a planned visit on her final world cruise, disappointing the locals.

Anyway in late morning the sea calmed a little and we made it to the shore.

We had dressed in our cold weather gear including thermal underwear.

After lunch the Sun came out and we were roasting but had a wonderful day sightseeing including a visit to a beach full of Penguins.

The Cruise is still our best ever including Antarctica, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and a sail around Cape Horn.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, cruisefan2012 said:

Loving this idea for a thread !!

My happy story was December 2009 about to board Arcadia on my first ever cruise and seeing Arcadia at Ocean Terminal in Southampton and WOWing to myself at the size of her - I phoned my parents and had to tell them that the ship is HUGE - Been on bigger ships since but I was WOW`D at the size 

On Azura (my 2nd ever cruise) in Flam in Norway, I was stood in the "clam shell" at the bow of the ship, as Azura moved away from the dock and turned around to head out - I didnt even realise we were moving until Azura turned around in the Fjords to head out to sea.... Also when docking in Flam, I`d got off the ship and was in awe of the mountains 

3rd Cruise, 2nd time on Azura also in 2012.......

Med Cruise this time, One day I was in Spain, next day France, next day Italy and a few days later I was in Portugal

So many incredible places, too many amazing stories to tell 

Heres hoping cruising can continue in the future

7 Cruises, 5 ships, 15 Countries, 17 ports, 2 cruiselines 

We had a similar experience on our 1st cruise in 2007.Approaching Sea Princess in Montego Bay,I thought this ship is enormous.Our next cruise 5 years later on the Diamond Princess,we were moored next to the Sea Princess in Auckland and could see the difference.The best demonstration of her size was we were docked in Wellington next to the All Blacks stadium and I could look down on the pitch from the pool deck.

When I showed this thread to OH he said that you all need to know about when we took our 3 year old niece on a 3 night cruise to see if she would be ok if we took her on a longer cruise.

As everyone knows these short cruises have hen parties on them.  We were sitting in Manhattan and our niece was kneeling on the seat watching the antics of a group of "ladies" when suddenly at the top of her voice she said "Why has that lady forgotten to put her knickers on ?"

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

When I showed this thread to OH he said that you all need to know about when we took our 3 year old niece on a 3 night cruise to see if she would be ok if we took her on a longer cruise.

As everyone knows these short cruises have hen parties on them.  We were sitting in Manhattan and our niece was kneeling on the seat watching the antics of a group of "ladies" when suddenly at the top of her voice she said "Why has that lady forgotten to put her knickers on ?"

Out of the mouths of babes and infants!!!🤣

Avril

• Haha 1

We will never forget our very first cruise on Aurora 17 years ago for our silver wedding anniversary and when we first saw her we thought she was massive 😂 we were also greeted with a brass band playing and streamers to throw from the ship when we departed and a free glass of bubbly, my family waved good bye  to us from the viewing platform and the band played away and she sounded the horn and scared me to bits 

• Like 3

We'd just gone to bed around 11pm when the cabin telephone rang. Fortunately it was on my wife's side of the bed so she had to answer.

"Hello Madam, did you order laminate?"

"Did I order what?"

"Laminate Madam."

"Sorry what?"

"Madam, did you order laminate?"

"Sorry, I don't understand."

"Madam, this is room service. Did you place an order for lem-on-ade?" 

😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Some classics making me laugh, 

my favourite memory was proposing to my fiancé in Gibraltar, I had then organised a photo shoot with the ship’s photographer late afternoon as we sailed out.

as the photographer took us out onto the top deck to get some photos my oh cursing as she had spent ages doing her hair 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ultimate Balcony Dinner in the Caribbean with Princess. Table cloth and flowers on the table,  4 course dinner,  2 waiters, cocktail and wine, and a photograph. Lovely warm evening, no wind, just wonderful. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ultimate Balcony Dinner in the Caribbean with Princess. Table cloth and flowers on the table,  4 course dinner,  2 waiters, cocktail and wine, and a photograph. Lovely warm evening, no wind, just wonderful. 

That sounds like heaven wowzz.

Avril

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That sounds like heaven wowzz.

Avril

My wife thinks it was probably the most memorable evening we have ever had on holiday, closely followed by her special birthday meal in the Maldives, when a sudden rain squall ripped the roof off our cabana, and left us soaked!