Military Benefits- Expiration

weedpindle

Just found out today that the military benefit that is applied automatically after you submit your DD214 form once, expires after 10 years. I first submitted it in 2011, it was not applied to a 2022 cruise, called Princess, they said it need to be resubmitted after 10 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mine originally was good through 2099 (no expire).  Just looked and it now expires 10 years after I last sent them the DD214.  For quite a while I had to send it for every cruise, just like the shareholder information.  Haven't looked in a while, but this expiration must be new within last 6 months. 

There is a link on the military benefits page to verify your status https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/ .  Doesn't seem to update anything - you can already see your status and expiration date in the Circle Savings page under Onboard Credits.  The link just said I was qualified but date didn't change in Onboard Credits.

Mine was issued on 8/30/11 and expire on 12/31/99. On Monday booked 2 cruises in October 2021 and 2 in March 2022 & all of them have the veteran’s OBC in my confirmations.

Thanks for the alert to check & will periodically check to see if they disappear & would simply resubmit my DD-214.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I did go back and look at the verification page.  It says it can take 7 days to show up in the Personalizer.  Currently mine expires at end of 2021 and doesn't show up in January 2022 booked cruise.  Mine was also issued last time in 2011 and originally said 12/31/99, so this topic is a great reminder!

Thanks for this thread.  A while back, amidst all the cancellations, we noticed the expiration changed from 2099 to 2021.  Assumed it was due to cash flow and Covid. Had no idea it was just a renewal issue.

Just updated the authorization and will look forward to continuing with this benefit. Thanks to all.

Edited by cherylandtk

17 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Just found out today that the military benefit that is applied automatically after you submit your DD214 form once, expires after 10 years. I first submitted it in 2011, it was not applied to a 2022 cruise, called Princess, they said it need to be resubmitted after 10 years.

You go to their web site and update. I had to also. Easy.

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Thanks for this thread.  A while back, amidst all the cancellations, we noticed the expiration changed from 2099 to 2021.  Assumed it was due to cash flow and Covid. Had no idea it was just a renewal issue.

Just updated the authorization and will look forward to continuing with this benefit. Thanks to all.

AFter you updated your authorization, did the new expiration date change back to 2099?  

17 hours ago, LeeW said:

Mine originally was good through 2099 (no expire).  Just looked and it now expires 10 years after I last sent them the DD214.  For quite a while I had to send it for every cruise, just like the shareholder information.  Haven't looked in a while, but this expiration must be new within last 6 months. 

There is a link on the military benefits page to verify your status https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/ .  Doesn't seem to update anything - you can already see your status and expiration date in the Circle Savings page under Onboard Credits.  The link just said I was qualified but date didn't change in Onboard Credits.

Thanks for that link!!

Booked a cruise for 2022, first cruised 2013. Apparently, that's close enough to the 10 years. When I went to the link it requested me to resend my DD214.

I wondered why my veteran benefits weren't added to the 2022 cruise.:classic_wacko:

A few weeks back when my TA booked me on another Princess cruise, they told her to tell me to update so they could add the OBC to that cruise. As I mentioned before. It was very simple to do and my TA called me two days later to say princess updated the OBC. The first time I sent them a copy DD214, from that day on it was automatically added to every princess cruise I took. Yes, that was over 10 years ago.

45 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

coo359a2, I see you have cruises on many different Princess ships. Any favorites?

I've been on all ships except the Star and of course the 2 newest ones.  It's hard to pick as we enjoyed all and have had no problems like so many have posted about on CC.  Our most favorite would be the Pacific/Ocean Princess, then  Coral Princess, Sky Princess and Sun/Sea.   There isn't one that we wouldn't cruise on .  We haven't been on the Island since it was "changed" but have 6 cruises for 2021 on the Island because it has the itineraries/ports we  want to visit.  

I followed the link and logged in to our profile and see nothing about re-registering?  It is not even listed on his profile that he is military but we got the OBC on our last cruise?

Call me confused!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

I've been on all ships except the Star and of course the 2 newest ones.  It's hard to pick as we enjoyed all and have had no problems like so many have posted about on CC.  Our most favorite would be the Pacific/Ocean Princess, then  Coral Princess, Sky Princess and Sun/Sea.   There isn't one that we wouldn't cruise on .  We haven't been on the Island since it was "changed" but have 6 cruises for 2021 on the Island because it has the itineraries/ports we  want to visit.  

Thanks for that report. We liked every Princess cruise. Our favorite was the Sky. We really enjoyed that ship.

My problem is that I have tried for years to get them to list my military service on my profile page but can never get anyone to do it.  Every time I book a cruise I have to call and ask to have it added and they put me on hold and call someone else and it gets added   I do not know what the problem is with it not be entered on my profile page.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:19 PM, weedpindle said:

Thanks for the head's up.  Kind of strange, though, since once you recieve your DD-214 it's not like it expires and you're no longer retired military.  Strange but true stories!!

2 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I have gone to my husbands profile page and I do not see anything about his military status.

They did give it to us on the last time we booked but as far as a expiration date I do not see it.

Found it. Just had to click the right tab.

It is under Captain's Circle - Circle Savings account. This is where your FCD's are listed. His expires 12/21. Oh well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Thanks for the head's up.  Kind of strange, though, since once you recieve your DD-214 it's not like it expires and you're no longer retired military.  Strange but true stories!!

Yes, I though it pretty strange, too!  
Thank you for the head’s up, weedpindle!  I’ll have to check my hubby’s account! 😊