South America cruises

jay888

With the Westerdam anchored off the South Coast of England,. Do you think HAL has decided to cancel the rest  of the South America cruises for 2020/21 and  the TA and start the Med itineraries., and not telling us until we play in full

Considering the situation with covid in South America - especially Brazil and Argentina, I doubt that the one sailing remaining in 2020 will be feasible.

Just my opinion, but I suspect that at least the first few in 2021 will not go unless things change dramatically.

NCL already cancelled all South America (and a couple of Antarctica) for 2020/21 season.

Hurtigruten has also cancelled theirs through Dec 2020 but might do the same for the rest of season if the flight restrictions are still in place.

10 hours ago, jay888 said:

With the Westerdam anchored off the South Coast of England,. Do you think HAL has decided to cancel the rest  of the South America cruises for 2020/21 and  the TA and start the Med itineraries., and not telling us until we play in full

If they haven't decided already, I think they will decide to cancel the So. Amer. 2020/21 cruises for the Westerdam. I don't think they would purposely wait to cancel until you pay in full, but if I were at the payment deadline for a So. Amer. cruise this winter I'd cancel. I think they'll buy a vowel from Vanna and wait and see before they cancel the TA, depending on how things do for US cruising in Q1 2021.

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Considering the situation with covid in South America - especially Brazil and Argentina, I doubt that the one sailing remaining in 2020 will be feasible.

Just my opinion, but I suspect that at least the first few in 2021 will not go unless things change dramatically.

HAL seems to be very reluctant to cancel cruises until the last minute.  Consider that the Westy cruise to South America in Dec/Jan involves several ports in Chile.  Chile currently does not allow entry to those with US Passports (except in emergencies).  While the restrictions might change in the next 2 months it is not likely to become less restrictive given the increase of COVID cases.  It is difficult to see any way that cruises will be going to South America anytime in 2020.  

Hank

At this point it is obvious that South America, Asia and Australia/NZ for Fall 2020 through Spring 2021 are not happening. The North American departures will most likely see significant changes and a reduced # of vessels sailing once they get the "green light" to operate from US ports.

With the sale of 4 ships (29% of the fleet!), the delay of the Rotterdam VII, cancellation of 2020 Grand Africa, cancellation of 2021 Grand South America, cancellation of 2021 Grand World, cancellation of Fall 2021 to Spring 2022 itineraries as result of moving Volendam/Zaandam to Grand Voyages and all the attendant ship-shuffles that go with the above, HAL have had a LOT on their plate the last few months - all while working remotely and with reduced corporate staff.  They were already "paused" fleetwide through 12/15 (announced August 11th), which was far more proactive than many other lines.  We need to give them some breathing room.  Once there is more clarity on the CDC no-sail order beyond 10/31 I think we will get further announcements of cancellations for Dec 15th and beyond.

As consumers we can, and need to, make choices for ourselves and not be reliant on others to make them for us.  If you want to cancel before final pay/penalties, cancel and get your deposit refunded and be done.  Otherwise pay the balance and you can cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and get a 100% FCC.  If HAL cancel your booking after you have made final payment they will give you a refund or an FCC.  The choice is yours.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

Wish we would receive an update.  Booked January 5 2021 on the Westerdam.   Saving up vacation time as I am still working.  Would be nice to have information to change things around at work if the cruise is cancelled.  Seems cruising should start up slowly and close to home.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, BJzink said:

Re. South American cruises - my 2nd half of the Grand South America cruise, Feb, 2021, was cancelled last week, and rebooked for February 2022

The rebook next year option has got me thinking.......

The 3/2021 Santiago to FLL is 22% cheaper than the same cruise 3/2022......Thinking I could role the dice and book for 2021 and if it does not go, I'm all set for 2022.  

Do you think "rebooking" is the norm for similar cruises next year or perhaps just for "Grand" cruises?  And was the rebook for the same cabin with no additional $$$?

40 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

The rebook next year option has got me thinking.......

The 3/2021 Santiago to FLL is 22% cheaper than the same cruise 3/2022......Thinking I could role the dice and book for 2021 and if it does not go, I'm all set for 2022.  

Do you think "rebooking" is the norm for similar cruises next year or perhaps just for "Grand" cruises?  And was the rebook for the same cabin with no additional $$$?

My information from HAL says I will be rebooked in the same stateroom at the rate already paid.  The new booking is 1 day longer, not charged more, get additional OBC for $250.00.  I will receive a new booking number and confirmation within 30 days (this notice dated Sept. 24, 2020).  Have not received it yet.  I anticipate that I may have a new travel advisor, but this has happened with my 2 other cancelled/rebooked cruises.  

48 minutes ago, BJzink said:

My information from HAL says I will be rebooked in the same stateroom at the rate already paid.  The new booking is 1 day longer, not charged more, get additional OBC for $250.00.  I will receive a new booking number and confirmation within 30 days (this notice dated Sept. 24, 2020).  Have not received it yet.  I anticipate that I may have a new travel advisor, but this has happened with my 2 other cancelled/rebooked cruises.  

Thank you BJzink.....That works out well.....We might just book 2021 and see what happens.......

@FlaMariner The move over/rebooking with fare protections so far has ONLY been for Grand Voyages and some (but not all) guests affected by the delay of the Rotterdam VII.  Anyone affected by the "pause" in cruising, or other itinerary cancellations, has received either an FCC or an onboard credit when rebooking (depending on the situation). 

If you are booked on a normal South America Sailing (no the full Grand South America) and your cruise is cancelled by HAL you will most likely be given an FCC based off either your deposit amount paid, or if paid in full the base cruise fare before tax.  If you go ahead and rebook and pay the deposit on a new South America Cruise for fall 2021 now once the FCC is available then you can apply it towards the balance due (base cruise fare only).

Hope that helps clarify!

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@FlaMariner The move over/rebooking with fare protections so far has ONLY been for Grand Voyages and some (but not all) guests affected by the delay of the Rotterdam VII.  Anyone affected by the "pause" in cruising, or other itinerary cancellations, has received either an FCC or an onboard credit when rebooking (depending on the situation). 

If you are booked on a normal South America Sailing (no the full Grand South America) and your cruise is cancelled by HAL you will most likely be given an FCC based off either your deposit amount paid, or if paid in full the base cruise fare before tax.  If you go ahead and rebook and pay the deposit on a new South America Cruise for fall 2021 now once the FCC is available then you can apply it towards the balance due (base cruise fare only).

Hope that helps clarify!

Thanks ATLCruiser......

The FCC's are not bad either.....We had two cancelled cruises thus far and we managed to spend the FCC's already....Finding the 2022 cruises to be at higher prices.....so was hoping to pay 2021 prices and cruise in 2022....and that might work out with the FCC anyway!

We are so ready to cruise again......

6 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

Wish we would receive an update.  Booked January 5 2021 on the Westerdam.   Saving up vacation time as I am still working.  Would be nice to have information to change things around at work if the cruise is cancelled.  Seems cruising should start up slowly and close to home.

We assume you are referring to the Jan 10 Westy cruise out of Chile.  As of today, no US Passport holders are permitted in Chile except for approved emergencies.  Chile has lots of COVID and is considered in "Phase 4" by our CDC.  Will the situation improve prior to Jan 2021?  Who knows....but so far there is no indication that things are improving in Chile (or in the USA).   Another of the countries on that cruise is Argentina which currently has the highest COVID positive rate in the world!  The COVID situation in Argentina is really bad.

What are the chances of a Jan 2021 HAL cruise that goes to both Chile and Argentina?  If I were a betting man I would give such a cruise about a 5% chance of happening.  

Hank