Sure Has Been Quiet Here -- Lately

Ray in NH

Hi All,

How are things progressing (regressing ?) in your cruise-world?

This "Wait and See" mode is getting tiring for us here.  Two cruises on the books for 2021 (May and September) and hoping to add a December 2021 itinerary.  This "Wait and See" mode is understandable, but still getting to be somewhat "old". 

Stay safe, and smart.  Hopefully we will meet aboard a ship someday "soon" (he says -- somewhat hopefully"

NRayH

Ray. I agree it is quiet.  Sometimes I think it is the two of us.   I also have two cruises planned.  April 13 PUGET Sound.  September 11 New England out of Portland,Me.

I have made several genealogical trips to Kittery, Maine  (mother’s birthplace).   Maybe some day we will end up meeting on a cruise.

After our Alaska Explorer cruise was canceled 2 times we are now scheduled for same cruise on June 24, 2021.  We have 3 cruises scheduled on NCL prior to that and one on Pearl Seas Cruise Lines on August 21, 2021.  Will be a busy spring and summer if we can get to cruising again.  I'm OK with needing to wear a mask and social distancing and if we need to stick with cruise line excursions.  Also have a trip planned to Hawaii in December with brother and sister-in-law.  We will see if that is a go or gets canceled.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, Izena said:

Ray. I agree it is quiet.  Sometimes I think it is the two of us.   I also have two cruises planned.  April 13 PUGET Sound.  September 11 New England out of Portland,Me.

I have made several genealogical trips to Kittery, Maine  (mother’s birthplace).   Maybe some day we will end up meeting on a cruise.

Izena,

Thank you for the reply.  We also have an ACL cruise scheduled for next September, but on the Ohio River (St. Louis to Pittsburgh).

I guess our meeting on a cruise will have to wait a tad longer. 🙁

NRayH

• 2 weeks later...

Since it’s quiet....if any of you have time....could you tell me more about the American river cruise companies?  I can’t seem to find much information.  

We have taken over 40 ocean cruises mostly with Royal Caribbean.  We’ve also done a European cruise with Viking River.  We’ve enjoyed every one of them.  We love any vacation where we unpack once and see lots of places.  We also like the all inclusive part of cruising.  Due to some life changing events we may not want to go back out on the ocean when cruising resumes but stay closer to the US and medical care.  We do understand there is no medical care on board river cruises. We have no mobility issues.

American river cruises are a big investment, probably double or triple what we usually spend. What makes it worth it to you? 

Is there some some kind of entertainment each evening?  At least some music?  

It seems there is not much common area on the newer American cruise ships to sit and enjoy views or talk to others.  

Are at least some excursions included or is every day trip extra?

Although we’d like to the Mississippi I’m also interested in the northeast and Alaska on a smaller ship.  Any itinerary that’s especially wonderful?  

Thanks in advance!

I took my first ACL Cruise June/2019.  
I did lots of research so wasn’t surprised - it was just what I wanted. Rather Than go into lots of detail I will give info in bullets

1.  Most of fellow cruisers are retired  in 70’s and older.  And mobile

2.  entertainment are locals from ports / musicians   — presentations from ON board historians.

3. excursions as we knew them may be changing due to covid

Prior stops were walking distance to towns you could explore on your own

There could be free bus transport to points of interest

$$ tours (free after 3rd cruise with ACL)

4.  Why  do I continue to cruise with ACL. 
    I like peace and quiet.  Don’t like crowds
    Seeing parts of US 

I’m 70 my son 48  did Columbia / Snake River  —loved it

Next cruise Is  two of us plus 25 yr old granddaughter(She is excited)

5.  Cruises are pricey but I have saved for retirement since I was 30.

Now it’s time to live in the moment.

We rebooked our cancelled Sept 25,2020 Columbia river cruise to 9/29/2021.    We also had a 50th anniversary cruise on Adventure OTS RCI in March 2020.  It was cancelled and we rebooked to March 2021 on Odyssey OTS.  That was also cancelled.  We have rebooked to Allure OTS Mar 2022.  We are bringing DD, DSIL and 3 DGC. We have never sailed on ACL, but did a Cuba cruise on Pearl Seas, owned by ACL.

Pearl Seas

Likes. Staff very helpful.  When Cuban government changed our dock time from 2.5 days to 3 hours, the company put us up at 1 of 2 Havana hotels approved by US-  with only 3 days notice.I

Bartenders remembered your favorite drink.

Included excursions excellent.

Cabin/bathroom huge compared to Azmara/Celebrity/RCI

Dislikes-  Balcony door was hard to open/close.  It never closed tight.  We had to put a chair against it to stop wind noise at night.

Only Elevator very small- usually long lines

32 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Pearl Seas

Likes. Staff very helpful.  When Cuban government changed our dock time from 2.5 days to 3 hours, the company put us up at 1 of 2 Havana hotels approved by US-  with only 3 days notice.I

Bartenders remembered your favorite drink.

Included excursions excellent.

Cabin/bathroom huge compared to Azmara/Celebrity/RCI

Dislikes-  Balcony door was hard to open/close.  It never closed tight.  We had to put a chair against it to stop wind noise at night.

Only Elevator very small- usually long lines

Hi Tom47,

Thank you for your impressions of your Pearl Seas cruise.  We have been considering them as a possible choice.  First, we have to work our way through FCC (Future Cruise Credits) for the three cruises we had cancelled for 2019-2020.  

We have two booked for 2021 (one ACL (Sept.) and one Celebrity, in May).  Hopefully, these will be cleared to sail??? Still awaiting some sort of "definitive" resolution on when cruising will again be reasonably do-able.

NRayH

We still have 2 ocean cruises booked for 11/21 and 4/22.  The first is fully refundable, not FCC.  The second we’d lose $200 so not bad.  As of right now I doubt we’ll keep either one but it depends on health issues.  I hope by then we can do some river cruising. 

I so wish Covid was over.  It really messes things up doesn’t it but it is what it is.  Just  poor timing for us.  We just returned from a trip to the Florida Keys.  While it was nice it wasn’t the usual fun of cruising.  Since we were trying to avoid covid, evenings were spent watching T.V. In a room. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tom47 said:

Pearl Seas

Likes. Staff very helpful.  When Cuban government changed our dock time from 2.5 days to 3 hours, the company put us up at 1 of 2 Havana hotels approved by US-  with only 3 days notice.

Thanks for the information.  Get ads from them so was curious.  Glad they were able to take care of you in Cuba!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sure has been very quiet here lately.

Hopefully postings will pick up soon (or whenever ships start to cruise again).

Our wishes are that everyone is staying safely out of the reaches of the Covid 19 Virus.

Looking forward to resumption of cruising again (hopefully soon).

NRayH

39 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

Hi All,

Sure has been very quiet here lately.

Hopefully postings will pick up soon (or whenever ships start to cruise again).

Our wishes are that everyone is staying safely out of the reaches of the Covid 19 Virus.

Looking forward to resumption of cruising again (hopefully soon).

NRayH

Hi NRay

We are  also looking forward to cruising.  We  are reading a lot of books.

Tom

I hope everyone is staying safe.  I’m good in Texas.  I know we are all anxious to start cruising again.  I can’t even imagine the anxiety level of the cruise lines.  What a nightmare.  I never thought this would go on for so long and even beginning to doubt that my April 13 cruise will occur.  

even if vaccines are available I’m concerned my son and granddaughter won’t be able to get the two part vaccine in time.

will keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Also wondering when we can travel again!  Even my bus tours have been cancelled due to lack of numbers and concern about venues actually being open upon arrival. Although I'm not big on vaccines that aren't long-proven, will be taking these just because suspect it will be the only way travel allowed, especially out of the U.S.  Can't afford to lose the money from trips paid for and already moved to 2021!  I also will be trying to fit in two doses before an out of country one in June!  Ones earlier are in US so hope those can happen without interference.

Miss the world of pre-Covid, as I'm sure the rest of the population does!

• 3 weeks later...

Received "Official Notice" this week that our 15 May, 2021 cruise has been cancelled by Celebrity.  Hopefully, our ACL cruise in September, 2021 may still be a "GO!!!"

This year, 2020 has not be a year for adding any "favorable Cruise Memories".  Will probably have to wait until, at least, for our next scheduled cruise -- Ohio River (St. Louis to Pittsburgh) during September 2021. 

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.

NRayH

18 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Royal cancelled our January 31,  2021 Caribbean cruise.  Our next cruise is Grand Circle Rhine river, May 2021.  Then ACL in September.  Happy Holidays to all and stay safe.

Hi Tom47,

Nice to see that others here are also willing to try other cruise lines.  How else to make actual comparisons as to what works best for each individual?

NRayH

• Like 1

These have been some very-trying, tiring, and frustrating times.

Since our last cruise December 2019, we have had five cruises cancelled,  Our next "scheduled" cruise is, now, not until September, 2021.

We love our home and neighborhood, but even they are starting to feel "confining".

The "check-ins" here help -- somewhat.

Hoping all can have a safe and Happy Holiday season.

NRayH