The Daily for Wednesday Oct 21, 2020

richwmn

today is Check Your Meds Day, Count Your Buttons Day, and International Nacho Day

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.

---Walter Elliot

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Corned Beef & Hash

Drink of the Day - Zombie

Wine of the day - Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume vintage 2015

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Bonaire Anchorage
Eurodam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Southampton
Westerdam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1021England.png

1021World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I must check my meds every day.  I pretty much take my buttons for granted.  I'm not really into Nachos or Corned beef.  Love the quote, almost a corollary to "A journey of a  thousand miles begins with a single step".  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Apricot Soup, Japanese Chicken Yakitori, and Blueberry Crisp, as served on the Amsterdam October 21, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado (with a new one) Wildfires

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Occasional posters including Sososailer and HalSailer

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Seasick Sailer’s kitchen straightened out

Fall colors

A safe return for Cruising-Along

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

The World Series

Roy

PS: I’ve heard on the news that Ireland is going back into lockdown.  It’s probably quite lucky that Mrs. Vmax got her operation when she did.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning dailyites. 

Check your meds....always a good idea, smiled at Buttons day as my grandmother had a huge box of buttons.  And Nacho Day is always welcome in our home.

Today we begin the process of refinishing our pool.  Not sure how old it is as our home is a rebuild of a fire destroyed original.  We bought it as a 1996 brand new home in 2017.

Zombie drink:

Ingredients: 1 part Apricot brandy, 1 part Dark rum, MORE

Preparation: Mix ingredients other than the 151 in a shaker with ice. Pour into glass and top with the high-proof rum.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Rich and Roy, thank you as always for your dedication to this wonderful safe place during these trying times.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
Edited by summer slope
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. 

Thanks for the Daily Report.  Love those maps.

I'll check my meds and my buttons (don't want to get them mixed up😉).  Nachos sound good too.

Interesting meal suggestion, but we're having roast chicken.

Thanks for the cocktail recipe summer slope.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Saying prayers for everyone.  Hooray to everyone with something to celebrate.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Good morning Rich. Thanks for the time you take making the Daily. We have quite the group!

I see pork chops and a salad in our future tonight.

I'm so happy our kitchen project is finally complete! We toasted to our kitchen and all the celebrations on Roy's list. It was a lot of celebrating..

Here's a solution for not having to check all of your meds: 

image.jpeg.84ba06c325259eab381ddc3b27fc6d0b.jpeg

Good morning my sisters Ann and Denise! I am so blessed and happy to have you in my life, and I was happy to hear you are moving forward Deeni. You will carry fond memories. I love you both!

Thanks Roy for your care and celebrations list. I did not hear Ireland was going back on lock down, darn it. Special prayers for them. We rescheduled our yearly Maui time to next July, but even that may not be in the cards.

Speaking of: Would you take the covid 19 vaccine when it gets released, or wait? I would be first in line!

Wow, the early snow for our neighbors up north! Seems like last week folks were talking about the heat and drought! 

Thinking of all our CC friends, keeping you in prayer, and celebrate the happiness when joining the Daily thread!

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!      Roy - thank you for keeping our lists!     Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Another damp day here in my neighborhood, and the humidity is back!

Now today’s combo of days is a doozie! Meds, buttons and nachos!. I used to love playing in my Mom’s button box when I was youngster. Do people even have button boxes these days? Great quote. I will skip the meal. I have seen the drink listed on a bar menu, but am sure I have never had one. And I am fairly sure that I should not have one. That drink has a lot of alcohol. Zombie, indeed!

@summer slope - good luck with your pool!

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This Chenin Blanc from Loire, has outstanding ratings, that seem to get better with each vintage. This wine also has a very long life. So I guess I should not be surprised by its hefty price tag starting at $70.94! it almost sounds a bit too sweet for me, but I would love to try it.

#52 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The sweet wines of Domaine des Baumard are from vineyards planted along the Layon river, which flows northwest into the Loire. The magnificent Quarts de Chaume is a fascinating wine, with a compelling intensity and authority of site which informs each vintage. Always long-lived, in great vintages this wine can be almost immortal, improving for decades.

WS98 Wine Spectator: Waves of creamed Jonagold apple, Cavaillon melon, mirabelle plum, mango and white peach flavors provide thrilling range, while flashes of honeysuckle and verbena add detail and focus throughout. Unctuous yet pure, sweet yet invigorating, with an inner brightness that matches the outward hedonism. Best from 2020 through 2045.

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s certainly an interesting collection of days we have, today!  Thankfully the only pills I need to check are our vitamins and oregano 😉  Nachos are always fun to celebrate 😄 

Love that quote of Elliot’s.  How true it is.

DH is not a corned beef fan (I love it) so I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.

I remember the zombie from my university days.  It was one wicked drink.

Thanks @cat shepard for the wine description.  It does sound intriguing if not pricey.

BAA6341D-9D47-4656-946E-3B7BF64A6D20.jpeg.c2b2affe4ecc5a457d780df4e53dbef7.jpeg

Prayers for all of those on Roy’s Care list & for those who need them and a clink of the glass to all those on his Celebratory list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your  masks.😷 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great combination of days; counting your buttons is better than busting your buttons, as some of us did after the lockdown!  I still have my Mom's button box - the enameling on it is still vibrant after I don't know how many years. image.jpeg.8e5ad2ab6b2b07b51349cfedaf2c2a21.jpeg

The drink of the day reminds me of a Wang Wang, you only ever need one.  Really.  LOL

I'm not a fan of corned beef, so will give today's suggestion a pass, but would love a bowl of Roy's alternate Chilled Apricot Soup!  Tonight might be a "fridge surprise" with leftovers from a couple of days, and a fresh salad.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think they do - especially for Ireland going back into lockdown.  We'll raise our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

I only have one sunrise for October 21.  It's from my 2011 combination of Blount ships through the Erie Canal connecting with the Crystal Symphony in Montreal.  On October 21 we were in Bar Harbor:

sunup21.jpg

Roy

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I only have one sunrise for October 21.  It's from my 2011 combination of Blount ships through the Erie Canal connecting with the Crystal Symphony in Montreal.  On October 21 we were in Bar Harbor:

sunup21.jpg

Roy

Good morning Roy!

Peace and Solitude! Love it

Denise😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich for the daily. Thanks Roy. And everyone who contributes. Up early as they seem to be pouring the garage floor and have quite a crew already at seven. Guess I will need to find a project to distract from the noise. I didn’t know you could pour when the temperature was below freezing. Yes it’s getting to be winter. This weekend will see our first teen temperatures. Time for a cruise. 

• Like 8

Good morning everyone!!

🌺🌸 Thankyou to Rich and Roy for a wonderful thing they do daily for all!! 
I love the quote, no checking meds since we are not on any, and to a dinner suggestion not a favorite. Tonight  might be a Greek baked chicken since the weather is getting cooler. I also was not a where that Ireland might go into lock down. So happy Mrs Vmax had her surgery like Roy said.

🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸🌺🌸

Good morning to my sisters too!

🌸Joy, happy kitchen modifications were a success!!! Both David and myself also will get the vaccine when it is approved. We do want to travel again.

🌸Ann, I like the description of the wine a lot! The price is right up there as if on Holland America!! Hope to try it on a cruise LOL!

❤️ Happy Wednesday!

Denise😊

• Like 10

We set a record for snow in St. Paul yesterday; over 7 inches at the MSP Airport. It was wet and slushy. The sun is out now and it is melting rather quickly. It was rather pretty last night but I don't think anyone is quite ready for snow yet! 

To try to make it melt even quicker, here are some pictures from Green Valley, AZ -

image.thumb.png.3f31fd87e7a11bc74c75dbb13a06b453.png

image.thumb.png.4e0cf7c4c98b03b40114a23923978a2c.png

The Zombie can be a rather complicated drink with many variations. Here is a You Tube link on how to make one -

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We set a record for snow in St. Paul yesterday; over 7 inches at the MSP Airport. It was wet and slushy. The sun is out now and it is melting rather quickly. It was rather pretty last night but I don't think anyone is quite ready for snow yet! 

To try to make it melt even quicker, here are some pictures from Green Valley, AZ -

image.thumb.png.3f31fd87e7a11bc74c75dbb13a06b453.png

image.thumb.png.4e0cf7c4c98b03b40114a23923978a2c.png

The Zombie can be a rather complicated drink with many variations. Here is a You Tube link on how to make one -

Wow that Zombie would knock me on my

..........!!!! Reminds me of The famous Wang Wang!! Never again LOL!

Thanks for the video and nice pics!! I don’t know what it is like to live in snow.

Denise😊

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

Buttons -- @ger_77 what a beautiful button box!  I had a box full of buttons also (mostly from my Mother too) but when our grandson's preschool was asking for button donations that's where they went.  

I had nachos yesterday (I seem to always be a day behind). 😅

Today we're taking some of our big plastic bins to a friend who will use them for her outdoor nature school she's started.  I had used them to store my Christmas Village until DH put in shelving.  Much better, I can see what I want at a glance now.

Then we will visit our favorite wine store to re-stock 😉  and a visit to the grandsons.  A very nice day 🙂  

A year ago today we were in Kotor, Montenegro (one of my favorite ports in the Med).  Not only beauty and history, but LOTS of cats to pet.  Here's one of the sleepy ones.  🙂 🙂  

petting kitty 2.jpg

• Like 15

Good morning, all! The quote is so appropriate this year. We have no corned beef, but I find myself longing for one of HAL’s chilled fruit soup, served at a table of friends. As the cold sets in, I’m also longing to stand on the back deck on the Lido with a cup of hot coffee, saying good morning to the Southern Cross and watching it’s brilliance fade into the coming dawn. 

• Like 12

Good day all. Is anyone else having an issue with the Tapatalk app or the cruise critic app since yesterday’s maintenance. Neither one will accept my sign in so I am going to the website to find and read the daily. Any thoughts would be appreciated and I use an iPad almost exclusively. Had no problems until yesterday. Thanks all and have a good day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

A 5 minute video to make one drink! I am going to need a snack. And be ready to sit down after drinking it. Wow!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Thank you very much again for keeping the daily going  Rich , Roy and all of the daylyites  ! 

Just thinking of the wonderful cruise we had a year ago on the Koningsdam from Rome through the Adriatic back to Rome and all the way across the ocean to Ft Lauderdale  with some wonderful friends .  Can't believe with all that is happening this year that it was only a year ago ..........! 

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.8ec5a0e62724b627350a9fbcc2fb174a.JPG

My dear wife Martha was happy to be back in her land of birth  Slovenia again doing the Polka 

Tony :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

IMG_1748.JPG

• Like 17