Port or Starboard?

elapel01

On the Equinox Southern Caribbean 9 night cruise that goes to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao is it better to be on the starboard side?  Ship leaves out of Fort Lauderdale and goes west of Grand Cayman which is the 1st port so port side would probably be better there.  I am interested more in the other 3 ports though.  I know you never know how they dock the ship but just wondering if someone has done those islands and can say which side is better to have your cabin on.  TIA

10 minutes ago, elapel01 said:

On the Equinox Southern Caribbean 9 night cruise that goes to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao is it better to be on the starboard side?  Ship leaves out of Fort Lauderdale and goes west of Grand Cayman which is the 1st port so port side would probably be better there.  I am interested more in the other 3 ports though.  I know you never know how they dock the ship but just wondering if someone has done those islands and can say which side is better to have your cabin on.  TIA

It's more of a "flip a coin" for either.  We like the starboard side more, but it's a personal preference.  🍷

• Like 1

I've never seen a ship dock starboard side in Aruba.  There is a bar creating a channel, and ships pull straight in, and continue straight out

enhance

enhance

enhance

I also have never seen a ship dock starboard in Curacao.  Grand Cayman is a tender port, so it doesn't matter.

In Bonaire we docked port side, along with Royal Princess (I was on Carnival Pride)

enhance

If you are sensitive to second hand smoke you may want to select the starboard side.  The Equinox has an outdoor smoking area on the lifeboat deck and the smoke can affect balconies above the smoking areas.   Except for sailing out of Venice, I have always select the starboard side.  If I wanted to be on the port side, I would select a balcony forward of the lifeboats.

I'm scheduled to be on the Equinox for the 2/19/21 sailing to the ABC islands.  At this point, I'm starting to doubt that it will sail.

Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you are sensitive to second hand smoke you may want to select the starboard side.  The Equinox has an outdoor smoking area on the lifeboat deck and the smoke can affect balconies above the smoking areas.   Except for sailing out of Venice, I have always select the starboard side.  If I wanted to be on the port side, I would select a balcony forward of the lifeboats.

I'm scheduled to be on the Equinox for the 2/19/21 sailing to the ABC islands.  At this point, I'm starting to doubt that it will sail.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, on Celebrity all the outdoor smoking areas are on the port side, I never book port for that reason.  You never know which side you will dock. 

7 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your reply.  We have only had a starboard cabin 2-3 times at the most.  We like being on the “hump” so I think the life boats aren’t right below us or if they are that is what is blocking people from smoking there.  We have never had an issue with the smoke so that’s why I’m thinking there must be something that is not allowing people to smoke right below the “hump”.   So we always get port, on the hump, deck 9.  We were scheduled to go on the 2/19/21 ABC islands cruise!  I called to cancel and then was told about Celebrity’s “lift and shift”.  So we have everything the same but switched to 2/11/22.  You might want to check into that before you have to pay the balance (Nov 7). Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elapel01 said:

Thanks for your reply.  We have only had a starboard cabin 2-3 times at the most.  We like being on the “hump” so I think the life boats aren’t right below us or if they are that is what is blocking people from smoking there.  We have never had an issue with the smoke so that’s why I’m thinking there must be something that is not allowing people to smoke right below the “hump”.   So we always get port, on the hump, deck 9.  We were scheduled to go on the 2/19/21 ABC islands cruise!  I called to cancel and then was told about Celebrity’s “lift and shift”.  So we have everything the same but switched to 2/11/22.  You might want to check into that before you have to pay the balance (Nov 7). Thanks again.

We're already booked for the 2/11/22 ABC cruise.  We booked this as soon as they opened up the schedule last year. See you in Feb 22.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Yes, on Celebrity all the outdoor smoking areas are on the port side, I never book port for that reason.  You never know which side you will dock. 

Not so.  I've sailed all the ships (excepting Edge class) multiple times so I can't quote which is which as the ships tend to blur into one for me, but for sure on some S class ships there is smoking on the starboard side on the deck above the pool deck, at the bar nearest the front elevator area.  I agree that in the pool area on all ships I've sailed there is smoking on the port side.

16 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Not so.  I've sailed all the ships (excepting Edge class) multiple times so I can't quote which is which as the ships tend to blur into one for me, but for sure on some S class ships there is smoking on the starboard side on the deck above the pool deck, at the bar nearest the front elevator area.  I agree that in the pool area on all ships I've sailed there is smoking on the port side.

Disagree respectfully, I’ve posted this many times before and never had anyone disagree. You may have someone walk over at a couple of the bars.

10 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Disagree respectfully, I’ve posted this many times before and never had anyone disagree. You may have someone walk over at a couple of the bars.

This is very unclear.  You have never had anyone disagree with what?  Someone walk over at a couple of bars....and do what?  May you please clarify.

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

This is very unclear.  You have never had anyone disagree with what?  Someone walk over at a couple of bars....and do what?  May you please clarify.

Why is it unclear, we were talking about smoking in the last couple of posts.   Suggest you read the previous posts, might clear things up. 

9 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Why is it unclear, we were talking about smoking in the last couple of posts.   Suggest you read the previous posts, might clear things up. 

phoenix_dream: "Yes, on Celebrity all the outdoor smoking areas are on the port side, I never book port for that reason.  You never know which side you will dock." 

dkjretired: "Disagree respectfully, I’ve posted this many times before and never had anyone disagree. You may have someone walk over at a couple of the bars."

My question is the same, it was not disrespectful in any way.  Disagree to what??  Walk over at a couple of bars and ...??  Pretty simple respectful questions.  You seem to be on defense...but then again, you did say "I have never had anyone disagree"

56 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I’m afraid you are incorrect. There is a smoking area at the Mast Bar on Deck 12 Starboard side. I know this because even early in the morning there are people up there smoking and the Jogging Track goes directly through it. Is it possible that this has changed in the past 18 months, yes. It was not someone walking over because there were ash trays on all of the tables. 

Edited by RICCruisers

On the S-Class ships, the Mast Grill is on the port side on Deck 12 right above the pool, so I suspect smoking would be at the Mast Bar on the Starboard side.  Not sure about the M-Class as the Mast Bar is sorta Mid-ship.

Smoking may vary from ship to ship, but in most instances it's on the port side.  There's no smoking at the Sunset Bar on the M-Class.    🍷

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

phoenix_dream: "Yes, on Celebrity all the outdoor smoking areas are on the port side, I never book port for that reason.  You never know which side you will dock." 

dkjretired: "Disagree respectfully, I’ve posted this many times before and never had anyone disagree. You may have someone walk over at a couple of the bars."

My question is the same, it was not disrespectful in any way.  Disagree to what??  Walk over at a couple of bars and ...??  Pretty simple respectful questions.  You seem to be on defense...but then again, you did say "I have never had anyone disagree"

13 hours ago, dkjretired said:

LGW59, you need to go back a few more posts for dkjretired original post that phoenix dream replied to that started the polite exchange.  He has posted many times that smoking is on the port side and no one ever has disagreed before.  His point was maybe someone from the port side smoking area walked over to the starboard side and that caused an odor on that side of the ship.

25 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

On the S-Class ships, the Mast Grill is on the port side on Deck 12 right above the pool, so I suspect smoking would be at the Mast Bar on the Starboard side.  Not sure about the M-Class as the Mast Bar is sorta Mid-ship.

Smoking may vary from ship to ship, but in most instances it's on the port side.  There's no smoking at the Sunset Bar on the M-Class.    🍷

Here is the Deck Plan on Equinox. It shows the Mast Bar on both sides of the ship. It is actually Deck 14 not 12 - my mistake. The smoking area is on the Starboard side right in the Jogging Track. At least it was on our last cruise on Equinox. 

image.thumb.gif.8a902478e2bed2093b4c86b4a37f1cb6.gif

image.gif

Edited by RICCruisers

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I can't speak for all S-class ships, but the Equinox and the Eclipse (photo) both have the Mast Bar on the Starboard side and, as the photo shows, the smoking area is located there.

1089878040_ScreenShot2020-10-28at9_26_17PM.thumb.png.c6030c1036df6433bfa012e97251e3ae.png

P1030780.thumb.jpeg.52828ad3e0a813d655280e6ae065ab17.jpeg

Dang, I so long to sit at a ship bar like that again!  Yes please, another Stella.