Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

There is an incredible amount of activities on offer today, so here is a run-down. What will you choose today?

Those who want to expand their knowledge will be pleased to know that there are several Lectures today.

At 10.00 am there is a Destination Presentation on Nawiliwili, given by Tiki Dave, then at 11.00 am Mark Harris, the Naturalist Lecturer, presents ‘Hawaiian Plants - Beautiful and Deadly, whilst at 2.15 the Enrichment Lecture is ‘Darwin and the Voyage of the Beagle, Part 1,‘ with Dr Michael Tribe.

The Hawaiian themed activities continue with the Hula Class hosted by Leialoha of Elua in Club Fusion at 10.00 am, the Progressive Ukulele Class with Tiki Dave is at 11.15 in the Explorers Lounge, Lei Making and Hawaiian Crafts in the Adagio Bar is at 2.00 pm, Hawaiian Melodies are playing in the Wheelhouse Bar from 7.15 pm, and Tiki Dave presents Hawaiian Melodies and Steel Guitar in the Wheelhouse Bar at 8.15 pm.

MUTS kicks off with the morning movie, ‘Moana’ at 10.00 am, followed by the afternoon movie, ‘Hotel Transylvania 3’ at 2.00 pm. ‘Cirque du Soleil:Nouvelle Experience’ is at 5.00 pm, and the evening movie is ‘Venom’ at 7.00 pm and 9.30 pm.

There are also movies in the Princess Theatre at 12.00 pm - ‘Instant Family’ - and ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ at 10.00 pm.

BDF6EC80-62DA-4077-B7B5-33927042E0DB.thumb.jpeg.a8e4d50a91c3a3ceaa2c6120b3dd118a.jpeg

Other more energetic activities include a Bean Bag Toss Challenge in the Piazza at 9.45 am, The Quest Game Show in the Piazza at 10.30 am, a Ping Pong Challenge in Centre Court on Deck 19 at 11.00 am, Sexy Legs Competition in Neptune’s Reef and Pool, Deck 15, at 1.15 pm, and Dicey Wooden Horse Racing in the Piazza at 2.00 pm.

Of course there is music, music, music all over the ship, but it you feel that you could do better then there is karaoke Fun in Club Fusion at 6.45 - 7.30 pm.

Or maybe you feel like taking part in the first Voice of the Ocean audition at 9.15 pm in Club Fusion.

Edited by ellie1145

9 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

That is such a sad sight to see! 😢

London and indeed the UK is one of my favourite places in the world (well, I am half English) so to see so graphically how this awful pandemic is affecting you there is heartbreaking. I spent Christmas there a few years ago and know just how busy Oxford Street should be at this time of year. While we in Australia are doing so well with all restrictions to be lifted on December 1 (fingers crossed) my thoughts and heart felt best wishes are sent to you in the UK and in fact everywhere in the world that is suffering so badly. May 2021 be a much better year with all of us coming out the other side safe, healthy and able to cruise again! 🚢

It certainly is a sad sight, Purple Traveller. We are in lockdown until next week, and hopefully people will continue to be sensible in the run up to Christmas, and beyond. We must not stop our efforts to keep this deadly virus under some sort of control until the vaccine can be rolled out to everyone - and that will be many months in the future. 

Oxford St is usually full of happy people shopping and enjoying the lights. It has a wonderful atmosphere at this time of year, but today it is nearly empty. 

Thank you for your kind comments and good wishes. Today I had an unexpected call via Facebook from one of our Trivia mates from Majestic Princess, who is in Australia, and it does seem that you are doing so well. Long may that continue!

We are desperate to return to Australia as there is so much we still want to do and see, but that is going to be a long time coming, I think. 

Let’s hope that we will all come out of it in 2021. 

Take care and keep safe! 

• Like 1

So sorry to see Oxford St so dead.  I have been in that Liberty store.

Hopefully with news today of another vaccine driving up the cruise line shares so much, we can look forward to good days on ships soon.

Looking forward to your Hawaii pictures.  Yes, that poor Coco Palms place was still in ruins last year when we were in Kauai.  We were a little sad by the number of shops that had closed down also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Going off Topic!

Forgive me for this little interlude but I thought you might like to see what that most iconic of streets in London is like today - Oxford Street, which is usually crowded with people and tourists. .......

This morning, and this evening ... an extraordinary sight.

C7552498-0064-41CC-B429-6A58000ACD40.thumb.jpeg.5497de5c5f907f8417189b860e61cdc7.jpeg

D4265B77-B606-4FE2-95D9-9E10031D7518.thumb.jpeg.bb3c86e8d2dc8232057fd9a86e14f40f.jpeg

758523DC-83E8-41B1-83CC-4CF10DDA66E2.thumb.jpeg.66096c6e6e087aa49f68710ae7ae4214.jpeg

A16554C7-851E-4585-AB61-847B8C5BC841.thumb.jpeg.21a3549863880a1d24c0d3b229d72c90.jpeg

7265D397-BF4B-4CBB-B066-8DD8760C7EA7.thumb.jpeg.f3addf132c5c584950ed372be1758036.jpeg

No reason to ask for forgiveness!  I welcome pictures from places that I would love to get back to someday.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

We are planning on going on the Hollywood In Hawaii - Movies & Waterfalls excursion on Kauai, see where that movie was made: Coco Palms (destroyed by Hurricane Iniki in 1992 - Iniki also let loose all the chickens roaming loose all over Kauai).  The tour host shows snippets of the movie locations where we are going with all kinds of trivia.  We're going to the beach where the Minnow landed on Gilligan's Island, near the hotel for Blue Hawaii, Jurassic Park, Fantasy Island, Hanalei Bay for South Pacific and see Bali Hai!  We might meet an actress who played one of the nurses jogging down the beach with Mitzi Gaynor, she is taking the tour with us to revive her memories of her much younger life.

The island you see in the distance at the beginning theme of the second and third season is an actual island called Coconut Island or Mokuoloe. It is located in Oahu's Kaneohe Bay and is the home of the Institute of Marine Biology. The 1st season island seen in the distance is an island in the Bahamas called Sandy Cay.

As a little girl, I used to go fishing off Mokuoloe.  All I remember was stuffing hotdogs down the Akule that we caught with hand lines.  I was that bored.  

• Like 1

What an interesting read.  We'll hopefully be on the Ruby from San Fran in Feb of 22 for Hawaii.  We're so looking forward to the cruise.  We've cruised over a dozen times and this itinerary is pretty unique for us with all the sea days.  

Thanks so much for your perspectives!   With us, and so many others, not being able to cruise soon, it fills the void some.  Looking forward to see and read as each day of your review continues!

Thanks for the time and efforts!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

What an interesting read.  We'll hopefully be on the Ruby from San Fran in Feb of 22 for Hawaii.  We're so looking forward to the cruise.  We've cruised over a dozen times and this itinerary is pretty unique for us with all the sea days.  

Thanks so much for your perspectives!   With us, and so many others, not being able to cruise soon, it fills the void some.  Looking forward to see and read as each day of your review continues!

I do hope your cruise is a go.  Unfortunately, Hawaii isn't ready for tourists, just yet.  As of Tuesday, they are requiring air passengers to have their pre-travel COVID test negative  within 72 hours of departure.  The bad news is that their "trusted" providers are now saying that the results are delayed (maybe 4-7 days).  

If you do not receive the results before you leave , but they are on your phone upon arrival...too bad.  You are now quarantined for the entire 14 days.  

The news around town is that Hawaii will not open for cruises until late 2021.  Nothing in the Spring, rarely in the summer.  So enjoy Ellie's virtual tour for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, April 11th

So what do we do with ourselves today?

Well, I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that after breakfast we make our way to the Explorers Lounge to meet up with our trivia mates in time for Morning Trivia at 10.30 am.

As you can see from the photo, at times the Explorers Lounge is full of ‘artwork,’ and this makes it really difficult to find a seat for the Trivia session. 

DCC2EB32-0EBD-48E0-B957-102B0D69BF10.thumb.jpeg.9ed871b9f263a4781c590d4c3de42c75.jpeg

I think it’s time I gave your brains a work out, so here are some Trivia questions for you to mull over. Fastest finger first, and your choice of prizes.

1. Father Christmas receives the most mail in the world, but         who receives the second largest amount of mail?

2. Where does Ambergris come from, and what is it used in the production of?

3. Which is the only country in the world to have a bible on its flag?

4. Where is Mount Aspiring National Park?

Good luck, all you Cruising Adventurers!

10 hours ago, TeaBag said:

So sorry to see Oxford St so dead.  I have been in that Liberty store.

Hopefully with news today of another vaccine driving up the cruise line shares so much, we can look forward to good days on ships soon.

Looking forward to your Hawaii pictures.  Yes, that poor Coco Palms place was still in ruins last year when we were in Kauai.  We were a little sad by the number of shops that had closed down also.

Although it is really sad to see Oxford St so empty, it is reassuring that, in the main, people are being very sensible, and abiding by the lockdown rules, as we still need to keep focused on trying to keep the virus under control until a vaccine is generally available. 

One more day and we will be arriving in Hawaii! 👍

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The island you see in the distance at the beginning theme of the second and third season is an actual island called Coconut Island or Mokuoloe. It is located in Oahu's Kaneohe Bay and is the home of the Institute of Marine Biology. The 1st season island seen in the distance is an island in the Bahamas called Sandy Cay.

As a little girl, I used to go fishing off Mokuoloe.  All I remember was stuffing hotdogs down the Akule that we caught with hand lines.  I was that bored.  

Well, I had to look up Akule, cr8tiv1. You certainly must have been bored! Did you end up eating the fish?

On a different subject, do you have any photos of your cabin that you would like to share?

8 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Hello, Redwing55, and welcome. Glad to hear that you are enjoying this virtual cruise on Ruby Princess. I have really enjoyed doing it as it has enabled me to re-visit these happy times. It’s all we have at the moment unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do hope your cruise is a go.  Unfortunately, Hawaii isn't ready for tourists, just yet.  As of Tuesday, they are requiring air passengers to have their pre-travel COVID test negative  within 72 hours of departure.  The bad news is that their "trusted" providers are now saying that the results are delayed (maybe 4-7 days).  

If you do not receive the results before you leave , but they are on your phone upon arrival...too bad.  You are now quarantined for the entire 14 days.  

The news around town is that Hawaii will not open for cruises until late 2021.  Nothing in the Spring, rarely in the summer.  So enjoy Ellie's virtual tour for now.

Sadly, it does seem that hopes of cruising in the New Year are just that. This pandemic is still so rampant around the world that it is going to take a while before cruising returns to any sort of normality. 

For me, the most disappointing thing is the recent episode on a very small cruise ship which showed that testing is useful but not totally reliable. Testing is just a snapshot at one time, it does not tell you if you will test positive the day after, so it’s a pretty dangerous thing to rely on when you are putting thousands of people on a cruise ship. The outcome of 10% of people testing positive once the cruise is underway is horrifying. 

So I hope that this virtual cruise will, in some small degree, keep you going until you are able to visit Hawaii in person. At least it might give you some useful information to help you plan your next trip there. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Thursday, April 11th

So what do we do with ourselves today?

Well, I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that after breakfast we make our way to the Explorers Lounge to meet up with our trivia mates in time for Morning Trivia at 10.30 am.

As you can see from the photo, at times the Explorers Lounge is full of ‘artwork,’ and this makes it really difficult to find a seat for the Trivia session. 

DCC2EB32-0EBD-48E0-B957-102B0D69BF10.thumb.jpeg.9ed871b9f263a4781c590d4c3de42c75.jpeg

I think it’s time I gave your brains a work out, so here are some Trivia questions for you to mull over. Fastest finger first, and your choice of prizes.

1. Father Christmas receives the most mail in the world, but         who receives the second largest amount of mail?

2. Where does Ambergris come from, and what is it used in the production of?

3. Which is the only country in the world to have a bible on its flag?

4. Where is Mount Aspiring National Park?

Good luck, all you Cruising Adventurers!

Hi Ellie

I'm not quite sure but I seem to remember ambergris comes from the sperm whale and is used in perfume.

And I can answer another of your trivia questions - The Dominican Republic has a bible on its flag.

Gail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

Sadly, it does seem that hopes of cruising in the New Year are just that. This pandemic is still so rampant around the world that it is going to take a while before cruising returns to any sort of normality. 

For me, the most disappointing thing is the recent episode on a very small cruise ship which showed that testing is useful but not totally reliable. Testing is just a snapshot at one time, it does not tell you if you will test positive the day after, so it’s a pretty dangerous thing to rely on when you are putting thousands of people on a cruise ship. The outcome of 10% of people testing positive once the cruise is underway is horrifying. 

So I hope that this virtual cruise will, in some small degree, keep you going until you are able to visit Hawaii in person. At least it might give you some useful information to help you plan your next trip there. 

Love reading this! TY for doing it!

• Thanks 1

🎶    ‘Palm trees are swayin’

Ukuleles are playin’ 🎶

(so which famous singer sang this song?)

We stay behind after Trivia to watch the Ukulele Class with Tiki Dave, as two of our Trivia mates are taking part.

If you have a ukulele at home then get it out and play along! 😉

He really is a brilliant teacher and I can hardly believe that some have only just started to learn.

I am so enthralled that I miss the ‘Arts and Crafts: Mask Making’ at 11.15 am in the Conference Room. 

I have already decided to give the ‘Eat More to Weigh Less’ seminar at 11.00 am a wide berth, as I don’t need any encouragement to eat more. Just put that basket of rolls in front of me and I’m away.....

Edited by ellie1145

16 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie

I'm not quite sure but I seem to remember ambergris comes from the sperm whale and is used in perfume.

And I can answer another of your trivia questions - The Dominican Republic has a bible on its flag.

Gail

Wow, Gail, talk about fastest finger! Well done!👏

You are right on both counts. Ambergris does, indeed, come from the bile duct of the sperm whale and it’s incredibly valuable. It, apparently, smells quite disgusting but is used by perfumiers as a fixative that allows scent to endure much longer. 

So you have the choice of yet another prize, either the mini or ultra Vortex vacuum cleaner of one of my unique leis!

I might add that the mini Vortex is becoming the ‘must have’ Christmas present of 2020 (topped only by a mask or a vaccine) so it could solve all your Christmas gift problems in one........🤣

• Like 1

Be an ocean

Move swiftly

and roar.

Or move softly

and lap upon the shore

Leigh Fisher

We nip up to the buffet for a light lunch before we join our trivia mates for our Progressive Trivia Challenge at 12.45 pm. This is a very popular event and there are many teams who turn up each time.  It is going to be tough going as there are some really good teams.

DH. refuses to sign up for the Sexy Legs Competition at 1.15 pm, but to be honest, he’s probably wise.

Trivia over, we make our way out on deck for our daily constitutional.

Wow! I can hardly believe how rough the sea looks. We certainly don’t feel the movement inside the ship. It’s an amazing sight.

Here are a couple of videos, so you can make them full screen and imagine you are out on the ocean. 

Not you, Winifred, you keep your DH safely inside, or he might need one of those little paper bags...

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

After a windswept walk we are relieved to get back inside, and make our way to Club Fusion for the Love Boat Trivia at 2.15 pm, after which we take a mooch around the shops.

Afternoon tea beckons at 3.30 pm, as usual, and then it’s back to Club Fusion at 4.30 pm for Afternoon Trivia, where we meet up with our trivia mates and have a good chat. Of course we learn lots of random facts which, no doubt, we will forget just as quickly.

Now I have a photo of some wine, so that’s proof that we won a trivia, as we rarely drink alcohol. 😉. Apparently it is bottled onboard by the Sanitary Department.......

9A114E34-D08B-4CF2-8C5F-CFDECF4302AB.thumb.jpeg.ab26fa3241af650929802bb07975977f.jpeg

It’s not formal night tonight so we have time to go back to the cabin, take showers and watch a movie as we get ready for dinner.

We are in time to make our way to the Princess Theatre for Showtime with Jesse and Colleen Kazamek, with their ‘Unique Tribute to the Beatles.’

1E167025-F672-47A6-B68D-39E8F530CCFE.thumb.png.55a96a93f54ca6c5175b44cdd6558a8b.png

As Brits of a ‘certain age’ we are, naturally fans of the Beatles, but this is a rather odd show with comedy included, so we are not overly impressed, but we do love to hear the songs. 

• Like 1

It’s time to eat......again!

Tonight I have not gone swimming. It’s still way too cold. In fact, we haven’t even walked out on the pool deck yet.

We make our way into dinner and peruse the menu.

What are you Cruising Adventurers going to choose?

47E24864-D13C-4D75-A0AD-2A2CFE2F3B0D.thumb.jpeg.a7e16498eddc36b1671289b443f456b7.jpeg

D7934681-94B2-4ED7-A24A-E53075BC5DC9.thumb.jpeg.ad0fc5f49c0f0e62b025e72989db5d9e.jpeg

2837C2B3-8C0D-4068-A4F5-E4ED7AD8C4CD.thumb.jpeg.7e88bbd64a49e926535770240f6bb350.jpeg

As usual, DH and I decline a starter. C04AE5DA-0660-4ED8-8D27-2E145EC95371.thumb.jpeg.718467558de527d7ddf55e59393b5b7a.jpeg

DH orders the fish, no change there, and I order the beef.

DA6DD6D1-2E3B-4091-A64D-D3A7F027C1BF.thumb.jpeg.e3682afe7f13f8b85c7eb4f7aae66db4.jpeg

0EE4BCA4-ED16-4DEE-AA8B-D7181516D1CA.thumb.jpeg.376ea5c3ac6c7f22100e6f5fdef129a0.jpeg

There is no contest when it comes to dessert. The Decadent Drambuie Soufflé wins hands down. And oh my, it is gorgeous! 

How do they do it?

Perfection!EA46B029-45ED-4784-982B-5211AD2433BD.thumb.jpeg.8d384fbf99d2d6fed13cc15a30e73ad5.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145

8 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Wow, Gail, talk about fastest finger! Well done!👏

You are right on both counts. Ambergris does, indeed, come from the bile duct of the sperm whale and it’s incredibly valuable. It, apparently, smells quite disgusting but is used by perfumiers as a fixative that allows scent to endure much longer. 

So you have the choice of yet another prize, either the mini or ultra Vortex vacuum cleaner of one of my unique leis!

I might add that the mini Vortex is becoming the ‘must have’ Christmas present of 2020 (topped only by a mask or a vaccine) so it could solve all your Christmas gift problems in one........🤣

The fast finger was probably helped along with the caffeine fix from that early morning coffee!

I am so happy now that I know the new mini Vortex will be arriving in time for Christmas. As we went back into lockdown on Monday, so no going shopping for me! 😒. This will be the perfect "Secret Santa" gift for my lovely daughter-in-law.

I do have to admit, we have had the pleasure of being given a bottle of that same wine, and whether you enjoy a glass of wine or don't really enjoy wine --- it still tastes (how do I put this politely -- different). 😝

See you at breakfast in the dining room.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

The fast finger was probably helped along with the caffeine fix from that early morning coffee!

I am so happy now that I know the new mini Vortex will be arriving in time for Christmas. As we went back into lockdown on Monday, so no going shopping for me! 😒. This will be the perfect "Secret Santa" gift for my lovely daughter-in-law.

I do have to admit, we have had the pleasure of being given a bottle of that same wine, and whether you enjoy a glass of wine or don't really enjoy wine --- it still tastes (how do I put this politely -- different). 😝

See you at breakfast in the dining room.

Your prize has already left the depot, Gail, so get the wrapping paper ready. Your D-In-L will be overwhelmed with gratitude.....😉

DH and I are not wine connoisseurs, but even we can tell that it maybe would be better for cleaning the toilets rather than imbibing....

See you in the dining room for breakfast! 

Edited by ellie1145