Joining a cruise at another port

Jennfromoz

I'm thinking of going on a Carnival Barrier Reef cruise in July 2021 which starts at Sydney and stops at Morton Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas with my mother and my daughter. 

My daughter lives in Airlie Beach and wants to join the cruise at Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is a tendered port.

I understand that she would probably have to pay the same amount. However, would she be allowed to do this, if prearranged with Carnival?

16 minutes ago, Jennfromoz said:

I'm thinking of going on a Carnival Barrier Reef cruise in July 2021 which starts at Sydney and stops at Morton Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas with my mother and my daughter. 

My daughter lives in Airlie Beach and wants to join the cruise at Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is a tendered port.

I understand that she would probably have to pay the same amount. However, would she be allowed to do this, if prearranged with Carnival?

You need to ask Carnival Australia.  Most posters here are US based and the laws are different.  

Most premium cruise lines allow joining late or disembarking early in other ports if advance notice is given and any embargo fines are paid by the passenger such as the PVSA. Carnival, however, isn't as accommodating as other cruise lines who see this type of request more frequently. You would have to pay for the entire voyage and acknowledge that you wouldn't be receiving any refunds/discounts for missed days.

Carnival Australia is also operated separately from Carnival Cruise Line so you would need to reach out to them to request this.

Edited by xDisconnections

32 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Most premium cruise lines allow joining late or disembarking early in other ports if advance notice is given and any embargo fines are paid by the passenger such as the PVSA. Carnival, however, isn't as accommodating as other cruise lines who see this type of request more frequently. You would have to pay for the entire voyage and acknowledge that you wouldn't be receiving any refunds/discounts for missed days.

Carnival Australia is also operated separately from Carnival Cruise Line so you would need to reach out to them to request this.

Sorry, the correct word above is cabotage -- not embargo. Too late to edit the post.

I joined an 11 day Journeys cruise in Antigua that had left Miami 4 or 5 days earlier.  I had a death in the family and was required to bring a death certificate to verify my account.

I had booked the following 10 day cruise on the same ship leaving from San Juan so I still had 16 days cruising.

Since the OP is in OZ, there may be entirely different laws/regs around embarking mid cruise.

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It must be difficult as I've heard of people trying to get off at a port with a suitcase and being questioned.

I've watched as one of these days I'm afraid it will be me called home. My dad is now 102. 

I've seen a number of people disembark early in cruises outside of the US. Sometimes to catch another ship in the same port! But you do need to notify the cruise line in advance.

Fly on/off entertainers also do it all the time.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've heard of ot from cruises leaving san Juan more so than leaving the usa. Possible, but harder

Yes who knows what australia allows., call and ask carnival, not us.

Uh, cruises that leave from San Juan ARE leaving from the USA.  ?????  Maybe you meant mainland ports?

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Uh, cruises that leave from San Juan ARE leaving from the USA.  ?????  Maybe you meant mainland ports?

Uh, I know that. I've just said that's the only port I have seen it. Uhhhhh. 

As I've said I'm worried about having to leave early mid cruise, where I cant get prior permission if one of my elderly parents takes sick. But thanks for adding nothing about what's allowed or not.