Are Private Islands shelved for now?

Ethanol95

Back in 2018, RCL said they were going to release announcements of new Private Islands being developed in Asia. Does anybody know what has happened to this plan? Haven't heard anything one even before pre-covid. There announcement of Perfect Day at Lelapa could be this, but has anyone heard more about this development for Asia?

https://www.*****.com/2018/05/15/royal-caribbean-announce-new-private-island-details-asia-soon 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not just private islands, just about anything which involves spending any money without an immediate payback will be shelved.

It seems to be that these plans slowed down even before the start of the pandemic. 

22 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

It seems to be that these plans slowed down even before the start of the pandemic. 

The only cut back I recall was on Explorer not getting a full AMP - everything else seemed to be going as planned till Jan/Feb.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The only cut back I recall was on Explorer not getting a full AMP - everything else seemed to be going as planned till Jan/Feb.

One would think that with cruises to nowhere being the new norm for restarting the industry, that the demand for private islands would soar in the next year or 2, with international ports still closed. As many have speculated or seen rumoured on the news that sailings from Florida would concentrate on Perfect Day Coco Cay. And with Lelapa's timeline, they should be prioritized?

I’ve been Researching and researching for the last 6 months.

Vanuatu news papers ,Cox architects ,local contractors, absolutely nothing.

I think we can think it’s dead in the water.

My personal feeling ,I know this is crazy but it was all part of a plan to boot the Chinese navy out of the area and setting up a navy base.

I said it was crazy but the Chinese were going to buy one of the islands in Havana harbour with unpaid debts.

But the CIA and ASIO stopped it.  

It was a US navy base in WW11.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

And with Lelapa's timeline, they should be prioritized?

True. RCI realized soon after CocoCay opened that the payback period would be only about 3 years instead of 5+ and launched a few other private destination projects. But, at this time, I don't think RCG can afford even that (shorter payback).

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

My personal feeling ,I know this is crazy but it was all part of a plan to boot the Chinese navy out of the area and setting up a navy base.

I said it was crazy but the Chinese were going to buy one of the islands in Havana harbour with unpaid debts.

That's such a shame, because if that's not happening in Australia, I'm doubtful that RCG's Asian private island plans would also fall with how politically sensitive the area is to China. 

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Chiliburn, do you still think that the Wonder of the Seas will come to Australia now. There are only a couple of ports it will be able to cruise to without tendering

5 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Chiliburn, do you still think that the Wonder of the Seas will come to Australia now. There are only a couple of ports it will be able to cruise to without tendering

Given that it's supposedly built for year round Shanghai deployment, I think it would be a waste to send it to Australia during the Norther Winter, especially if Lelapa does not happen. 

1 minute ago, Ethanol95 said:

Given that it's supposedly built for year round Shanghai deployment, I think it would be a waste to send it to Australia during the Norther Winter, especially if Lelapa does not happen. 

I still think they will pull their ships out of China.

The German government has just announced it will deploy German navy seaman on Australian ships and send a ship to sail with Australian ships.

The pommies are going to deploy their new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elisabeth to the region.

Wonder of the seas,Who knows???

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I still think they will pull their ships out of China.

The German government has just announced it will deploy German navy seaman on Australian ships and send a ship to sail with Australian ships.

The pommies are going to deploy their new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elisabeth to the region.

Wonder of the seas,Who knows???

That's pretty interesting news, we'll see how things develop.

11 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Rumor is that Wonder will be able to tender

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Rumor is that Wonder will be able to tender

I think I would stay on the ship that day.

But some tender ports with a short run aren’t to bad.

I did read a maritime financial thing a couple of years ago that talked about Wonder .
A couple things they mentioned was it could tender,was financed by the Chinese and built for the Asian market.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I did read a maritime financial thing a couple of years ago that talked about Wonder .
A couple things they mentioned was it could tender,was financed by the Chinese and built for the Asian market.

The early deck plans show a tender loading area

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I wonder where in Asia they planned for Wonder to Tender. Japan? or maybe Philippines?